Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 59 of 270
« First < 949575859 606169109159 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Steve 12:59 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Mine are so good 'cause I let Steve rub and pull my butt!!!
That's Right...!

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
hammondc 01:02 PM 09-05-2010
This is getting uncomfortable. :-)
[Reply]
Ahbroody 01:30 PM 09-05-2010
Okay read through about 15 pages of this thread.
Have an nice gas grill like Bsmokin, but want to get into smoking.

Would you guys recommend starting out with a WSM or something else? I see the dedicated smokers at the hardware stores etc and I just dont know which way to go.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:34 PM 09-05-2010
For a family sized smoke it is hard the beat the WSM.
[Reply]
hammondc 02:18 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
For a family sized smoke it is hard the beat the WSM.
Yep. I LOOOOOVED my WSM.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 04:12 PM 09-05-2010
Just found a New Braunfels Smoker for basically free.
Think I may grab it and learn with it then upgrade.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:14 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Just found a New Braunfels Smoker for basically free.
Think I may grab it and learn with it then upgrade.
Is it an offset or a cabinet style?
[Reply]
Ahbroody 04:42 PM 09-05-2010
Offset
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:46 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Offset
It is a very good smoker. Way more work as far as keeping it cooking, but a dang good smoker.
[Reply]
Steve 05:01 PM 09-05-2010
There are a couple of easy modes that will make it easier to cook with though. I have an older one in my garage that I used a lot before I got my Lang. I don't know how old yours is that you found, but mine is made from fairly heavy ga. metal. Some of the newer ones are a bit thinner and it's harder to keep the temperature level.

I'll look around for a typed copy of the mods, if I can't find them I'll re-type them and post them.
[Reply]
OLS 06:47 PM 09-05-2010
I was looking for a NB Smoker when I ended up buying my Char-Griller. I was PI$$ed when I found
out they were no longer making the "quintessential" smoker, and had gone on to either be sold or
just changing the most important materials feature of the thing that made em famous. I had
ignored the company forever, I could have ccared less about smoking. The one day I caught
fire and it was too late. :-). I have enjoyed my Char-griller, though. So while it may not
get the props of the new favorites in the smoke biz, if it is a thick metal unit, you got a winner.
Like I have said too many times, I just indirect grillnsmoke my meats. There is plenty of space.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:53 AM 09-06-2010
Here is a pic from dinner last night. Couple of ribs and some veggies. Dont be too hard on them they taste better than they look.

Attached:
[Reply]
T.G 11:19 AM 09-06-2010
Originally Posted by Scothew:
Corn. Maple is way expensive here and my wife gave me the "look" when I wnated to pick up some of that. Ive used molassas before and I cant tell a difference.
I wonder how much the different sugars found in corn syrup versus refined sugar play a part in the end product....

Where's Alton Brown when you need him, eh?
[Reply]
Scothew 01:27 PM 09-06-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I wonder how much the different sugars found in corn syrup versus refined sugar play a part in the end product....

Where's Alton Brown when you need him, eh?
:-) @ alton.

I wondered also on if the hig fructose was a good thing or not, but it didnt seem to hinder the flavors and the meat was dripping in juice from inside to out, even after resting for 10 hours. I would love to get ahold of some syrup made with cane sugar, i bet it would give a great flavor.
[Reply]
T.G 05:46 PM 09-06-2010
:-) @ alton.

I wondered also on if the hig fructose was a good thing or not, but it didnt seem to hinder the flavors and the meat was dripping in juice from inside to out, even after resting for 10 hours. I would love to get ahold of some syrup made with cane sugar, i bet it would give a great flavor.
Woah... back the truck up...

Did you use corn syrup or high-fructose corn syrup? Big difference
[Reply]
Scothew 07:46 PM 09-06-2010
It was corn syrup but after you asked, i went back and looked at the ingredients and it has some high fructose in it.
[Reply]
T.G 09:23 PM 09-06-2010
It was corn syrup but after you asked, i went back and looked at the ingredients and it has some high fructose in it.
Cool. Thanks. Basically, the reason for the question was that it's a different sugar, and it can behave differently.

One of these days I'll see if I can dig up a scientific explanation if there's any advantage to using HFCS and/or CS either alone or in conjunction with refined sugar in brines, or rather, how, if anything, it might affect the meat differently.
[Reply]
cricky101 08:47 AM 09-07-2010
From earlier this weekend - I only took one cell phone pic after everything was finished and rested. This was about 11 p.m. and I was shot.

LtoR - Cubed brisket point I turned into burnt ends, sliced brisket flat, and pork butt. I started with a 9-lb packer brisket and an 8.5 pork butt and cooked for about 12 hours on my cheap, Brinkman Gourmet with lump charcoal and a mix hickory and cherry wood.

I've done a brisket before, but this was my first pork butt - and I will definitely be making more of them!

[Reply]
Steve 09:33 AM 09-07-2010
Looks great!
[Reply]
bsmokin 09:35 AM 09-07-2010
:-) :-) :-)

That looks sooooo good! :-)

I'll be making my first pork butts this weekend. I'll probably make two. Going to use my new weber charcoal grill and the smokenator! :-)
[Reply]
Page 59 of 270
« First < 949575859 606169109159 > Last »
Up