Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Old Stanwell clean up
nutcracker 03:26 PM 01-22-2017
Nice Stanwell. Clean up.....
I think it's Tom Eltang handiwork.

[Reply]
jsnake 10:03 PM 01-22-2017
Nice work. I have a couple estate lots to go heck out this week. One is leftovers I bought from a year ago. I already cherry picked the good ones but I may snag the rest. Other is from a lady who's husband passed a few years ago so she filled two boxes with his pipes and couldn't let them go until now. No idea what's there but I'm excited. I may send you some pics and see what you think. I'm an amateur at sanitizing and cleaning them up but I like to try.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 06:23 AM 01-23-2017
Nice job Neil, that's a great looking smoker. I especially like the form of the bit, looks comfortable.
[Reply]
nutcracker 09:05 AM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
Nice job Neil, that's a great looking smoker. I especially like the form of the bit, looks comfortable.
I confess I usually sand away any "wings" on a fishtail bit. I like the button tapering in from the sides. It just sits well for me. You'll notice I do that to most of my refurbished pipes
[Reply]
nutcracker 09:07 AM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by jsnake:
Nice work. I have a couple estate lots to go heck out this week. One is leftovers I bought from a year ago. I already cherry picked the good ones but I may snag the rest. Other is from a lady who's husband passed a few years ago so she filled two boxes with his pipes and couldn't let them go until now. No idea what's there but I'm excited. I may send you some pics and see what you think. I'm an amateur at sanitizing and cleaning them up but I like to try.
It's always fun to find a really dirty but great pipe that just needs a little TLC.
You don't need much to clean them up well. Rummaging through a box of smelly wood to find it is half the joy in resurrecting the thing!
[Reply]
Alpedhuez55 12:55 PM 01-24-2017
Great job. I hope it smokes as good as it looks!!!
[Reply]
nutcracker 01:09 PM 01-24-2017
Turns out there's a back story to these pipes. It is indeed carved by Tom Eltang. According to a chap on another forum, this is a 63S (or perhaps 126) shape. Tom was employed by Stanwell and pre-selected the briar and custom stained them for customers while on pipe tours. Seems it's an unusual piece of pipe history.

... and there I was thinking of floggng it......
[Reply]
Up