Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Winter hiatus
markem 12:04 PM 10-22-2008
Do you take a break or have a slowdown in your cigar smoking during part of the year? If so, when does it usually start and end?

I have slowdown at home beginning in the fall, but on warmer or dryer days, I still her outside on my (covered) patio. My herfing at the local cigar bars tends to go up as well. Overall tho, I think that I smoke about the same amount of cigars per week, just on a more erratic schedule.

What about you?

[side note: this would be a good thread to post the pics of your winterization of the herf area]
[Reply]
lenguamor 12:10 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by vstrommark:
Do you take a break or have a slowdown in your cigar smoking during part of the year? If so, when does it usually start and end?

I have slowdown at home beginning in the fall, but on warmer or dryer days, I still her outside on my (covered) patio. My herfing at the local cigar bars tends to go up as well. Overall tho, I think that I smoke about the same amount of cigars per week, just on a more erratic schedule.

What about you?

[side note: this would be a good thread to post the pics of your winterization of the herf area]
I tend to smoke more in the car in Winter.

I set out for Alki beach, (only about a mile from my place) find a place to park and enjoy the scenery; the car heater is my friend.

In the days before $3 gas, I would drive around a lot more.
[Reply]
jquirit 12:13 PM 10-22-2008
Winter I definitely do slow down on the frequency on times I smoke cigars. Even with a small heater in the garage it's still far too cold to spend an hour or two out there. I'm debating getting a fire pit and trying to smoke on the back patio but I dunno how that'll work out just yet (would need some sort of cover as well). Any cigar smoking would typically be either at a herf or on Sunday if I'm at the Shilo watching football.

Though, it's also this time of year that my frequency of smoking pipe 'baccy picks up since I can start/stop depending on comfort level.
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:20 PM 10-22-2008
I won't know till this year...but I'm going to assume that I will be smoking less unless I get my butt to a cigar bar.
[Reply]
MithShrike 12:22 PM 10-22-2008
I live in AZ. It's finally getting to a point where it's comfortable to sit outside.
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:24 PM 10-22-2008
California - Consistent throughout the year!!!:-)
[Reply]
smitdavi 12:26 PM 10-22-2008
def slows down in the winter, and Katie won't let me smoke in the house :-) Mostly in the winter it will be in the car, herf's, or on the occasional warm afternoon day. Unfortunately there aren't any cigar bars around the Bloomington area. The winter seems to be the covet and hoard period in preparation for the warmer months lol
[Reply]
mikeyj23 12:26 PM 10-22-2008
Mine definitely slows down during the cold months. This year I'm finally looking into winterization/heating options for the patio - looked at some electric and small propane heaters at Lowe's the other day.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 12:27 PM 10-22-2008
I slow way down. I'll smoke in the car when driving an hour or so for work and in a cigar-friendly car on occasion. I'm thinking about a space heater for the garage but that's really not the most comfortable way to smoke. I use quite a bit more nasal snuff in the winter.

MCS
[Reply]
Sean9689 12:27 PM 10-22-2008
Gotta love the ventilation system in my basement. I smoke more in the winter because there is less to do outside.
[Reply]
markem 12:30 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
California - Consistent throughout the year!!!:-)
Correction - SoCal

Go herf with CigarGal in the winter some time. That's put hair on your humidor. :-)
[Reply]
livwire68 12:36 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
I live in AZ. It's finally getting to a point where it's comfortable to sit outside.
Vegas here, I agree! I do have a gazebo I put up thin canvas tarps around and my heater, if I am outside (Vegas does have a cold side). But since we bought the house and I have a room dedicated to it, I will be there most of the time. My habits have incresed latley, and will remain steady for the most part.
[Reply]
jbonnefsc 12:41 PM 10-22-2008
Where I live in Florida, I smoke more in the winter, because it is so much nicer without the 100% humidity, giant Mosquitoes, sudden rain storms, and 90 Degrees at 10pm...
[Reply]
blckthree 12:42 PM 10-22-2008
I have to retreat to the garage for cover. Definately not as much fun. The smokes get smaller and quicker unless I get one of those unseasonably warm days.

Mike :-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 12:43 PM 10-22-2008
Definite slowdown because of the colder weather. I have a covered front porch and purchased a propane heater, so I might brave the cold a little more often this winter. If I clean the garage out and put in some ventilation, then I'll have another option. :-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 01:15 PM 10-22-2008
Last weekend I had to bundle up and smoke on my porch. I'm talking two pants, two socks, two sweatshirts, hat, and gloves. It wasn't too cold but it was too much work. My days of smoking outside will be limited to a few more times during the day and no more at night. Guess I'll be going to a bar if I want to smoke:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 01:34 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc:
Where I live in Florida, I smoke more in the winter, because it is so much nicer without the 100% humidity, giant Mosquitoes, sudden rain storms, and 90 Degrees at 10pm...
I don't miss that at all. Despite the inherent inconveniences, I like having more than 3 1/2 days of Winter.:-)
[Reply]
acarr 01:39 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
I second that. It is great right now.
[Reply]
G G 01:39 PM 10-22-2008
I live in NE Florida, so I probably stay about the same year round.:-)
[Reply]
JKim 01:41 PM 10-22-2008
I definately slow down in the winter. I cut out any kind of outdoor smoking and keep it limited to an indoor lounge. I definately cut back on total consumption.

My lounge of choice any time of the year, Highland Cigars in Atlanta.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up