Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What former friend gave you your 1st smoke
ProfesserX 05:13 AM 10-24-2008
I have Rotten Zombie to thank for my addiction and my Debt. We met in a class I was teaching and he handed me 2 sticks. I told him I didn't smoke but thanks. Well I smoked one and now I have about 30 at home and when he comes through town we get together and light em up.
[Reply]
silentjon 05:18 AM 10-24-2008
My wife actually got me into cigars. I guess that is why I married her. :-). She still says I have too many.
[Reply]
cf2112 05:34 AM 10-24-2008
When I joined our local golf club one of the groups I played golf with had an older gent who always gave me a cigar. He has since passed away but I still remember the first one he gave me, a Thompson brand that I told him was awful. The next one was a CAO Gold and it's been down hill since.:-)
[Reply]
GoinFerSmoke 05:44 AM 10-24-2008
For me it was a gent on another board. He came to visit his father who lives in town and he brought me my first Monte #2 and some hitchhikers... it has been a grand time overall trying all the different cigars there are out there!
[Reply]
rsamos 06:04 AM 10-24-2008
Well ... my first smoke didn't get me started on the slide.

I used to mod at another forum (not cigars) and in the back room one day one of the other mods posted that he had a "few too many sticks and needed to make some room. Does anyone want a couple cigars?"

I thought a cigar or two sounded good, and I said sure and pm'd him my addy. A few days later I came home and there was a crater where my front porch used to be. In the middle of it, was a box with about 30 sticks in it.

I scrambled to get a large enough humidor for that pile. Then I joined a a cigar forum and had a larger humi within a month. Then within 3-4 more months I had a Vino.

A "few too many"? He bombed at least two other guys with a similar box.
[Reply]
spectrrr 06:09 AM 10-24-2008
my FIRST stick I had with my best friend (also a non smoker) on his wedding day. (so i guess technically his dad gave me my first cigar).

The slide started when I found my dad's old humidor (long dried out, but full of about 100 sticks). I returned a small portion of them to smokeable status, and the slide began........
[Reply]
RottenZombie 06:12 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by ProfesserX:
I have Rotten Zombie to thank for my addiction and my Debt. We met in a class I was teaching and he handed me 2 sticks. I told him I didn't smoke but thanks. Well I smoked one and now I have about 30 at home and when he comes through town we get together and light em up.
:-):-):-):-)
Told you I wasn't doing you any favors . ( Maniacal Laughter inserted here )
:-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:16 AM 10-24-2008
A question...

Why would it be a former friend and not a current one? :-)
[Reply]
Dgar 07:06 AM 10-24-2008
One of my best friends who I met a few years ago was always smoking a stogie, one day I asked to try one... the next day he showed up at my house with 75ct humi with a bunch of cigars in it... that gift has cost me more money:-)

To this day, my and Bud and I still get together to smoke on a regular basis.

It's cool when you can pass it on.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:18 AM 10-24-2008
My friend Chad (not a member of CA) gave me my first cigar but it was Bobarian that pushed me hard down the slope!!!

Bob gifted me with a 48 qt. Cooler and digital Hydrometer at my second herf along with many sticks... Ratters is a close second followed by gnukfu!!!! You magnificent bastards!!!
[Reply]
Cigargal 08:15 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
My friend Chad (not a member of CA) gave me my first cigar but it was Bobarian that pushed me hard down the slope!!!

Bob gifted me with a 48 qt. Cooler and digital Hydrometer at my second herf along with many sticks... Ratters is a close second followed by gnukfu!!!! You magnificent bastards!!!
Ah, corrupting youth-great past time.

I have no one to blame but myself-then I joined the jungle and BWD pushed me down the slope.
[Reply]
rck70 08:18 AM 10-24-2008
I have TripleF (my uncle ) to thank for shoving me down the slope...while he laughs...:-)
[Reply]
ProfesserX 08:22 AM 10-24-2008
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
A question...

Why would it be a former friend and not a current one? :-)
Slight play on words. My wife jokes with me about his attack on our bank account. He is a great friend and we get to blame him every time I turn the car around to make a stop at yet another cigar shop.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 08:43 AM 10-24-2008
I still think he is a great friend. It wasn't my first cigar that he gave me but it was the first that made a difference in the way I saw cigars.JohnnyKay5 is my LT. That first Padron made a world of difference to me. I try and PIF in the way he did for me. Maybe someday I will be able to hand someone a cigar that turns out to make a difference to them. One can hope anyway.
[Reply]
hoax 11:13 AM 10-24-2008
My gf who is now my wife bought me my first stick, a tubo Davidoff from Ceaser's Palace in Vegas.

I didn't smoke cigars at the time and I never smoked it. I found it again a few years later and it was completely dried out.
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 01:15 PM 10-24-2008
My friend Tom brought a cigar to my birthday dinner for himself. We were drinking port and he offered me a couple of puffs. I thought this is pretty good. A month later we went out for his birthday and he gave me an Upmann tubos to smoke. I was hooked at that very moment. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:56 AM 10-25-2008
well, my real cigar smoking days started with cigars I bought myself, on a holiday to the far east. But I didn't smoke alone, I smoked with a Belgian buddy of mine. He doesn't smoke that often and isn't on any of the boards.
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 03:38 PM 10-25-2008
My buddy in highschool gave me a macanudo back in the day but I didn't really start smoking seriously until about a year later when my grandfather and uncle were having a smoke at a wedding and handed me one. That was many many...many...boxes ago.
[Reply]
Up