Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Storing Glass Tubes
FrequenC 07:28 PM 10-21-2008
Hi All,

Not sure if this was asked before but I have some Gurkha's Grand Reserve cigars and I was wondering if they need to be in a humidor because of the glass tubes?? Also is it okay to store them with other cigars without them affecting the flavor?
[Reply]
theycallmedan'lboone 08:30 PM 10-21-2008
the glass tubes are sealed there by they don't NEED to be in a humi... but probably a safe place for them...
a NON safe place for them... is in ones pocket. trust me on that one.
[Reply]
dannyboy 08:33 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone:
the glass tubes are sealed there by they don't NEED to be in a humi... but probably a safe place for them...
a NON safe place for them... is in ones pocket. trust me on that one.
That sounds painful:-)

Would think that in the humi would be the best place for them. Tubos or regular, all my cigars go in the humi.
[Reply]
FrequenC 08:49 PM 10-21-2008
So technically it shouldn't be a problem as far as storing them with other cigars correct?
[Reply]
hotreds 08:56 PM 10-21-2008
Originally Posted by FrequenC:
So technically it shouldn't be a problem as far as storing them with other cigars correct?
Keerekt
[Reply]
FrequenC 09:02 PM 10-21-2008
Excellent, Thank you all
[Reply]
stearns 09:28 PM 10-21-2008
to my understanding, all you have to worry about is temperature. other than that, you're good to go. they make a great gift for someone who is humiless

stearns
[Reply]
Boobar 10:37 AM 10-22-2008
Hi All,

Not sure if this was asked before but I have some Gurkha's Grand Reserve cigars and I was wondering if they need to be in a humidor because of the glass tubes?? Also is it okay to store them with other cigars without them affecting the flavor?
I have 4 Partagas Black Label Crystal Tubos and I had the same question, thanks for asking it.
[Reply]
Scimmia 10:42 AM 10-22-2008
IF (and that's a big if) the tube is completely sealed, you would be fine not keeping them in a humi. Getting it completely sealed would take some special measures, though, I know Gurkha uses wax on some tubes. The Partagas Black Crystal Tubos are not sealed well enough, I bought a box a while back and some of the caps were almost loose.
[Reply]
Boobar 11:03 AM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Scimmia:
IF (and that's a big if) the tube is completely sealed, you would be fine not keeping them in a humi. Getting it completely sealed would take some special measures, though, I know Gurkha uses wax on some tubes. The Partagas Black Crystal Tubos are not sealed well enough, I bought a box a while back and some of the caps were almost loose.
I keep mine in my humidor with the rest of my sticks so I would hope they would be OK.
[Reply]
FrequenC 11:04 AM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by Scimmia:

Yes the Gurkha's I have are the ones in the glass tube with the wax seal (Grand Reserves) So they I'm sure they are completely sealed.
[Reply]
spectrrr 12:50 PM 10-22-2008
Yes the Gurkha's I have are the ones in the glass tube with the wax seal (Grand Reserves) So they I'm sure they are completely sealed.
speaking about more than just cigars here, the seal on EVERYTHING goes bad eventually. some seals are good for a few months, some are good for a few years, or a few decades, but they all fail eventually.

So If there is room, I'd throw em in the humi, "just-in-case" your seal fails a bit earlier than it should.
[Reply]
GhostRyder 01:32 PM 10-22-2008
I also have a Gurkha Grand Reserve in the glass tube with a wax seal. The manager of my local B&M told me that they leave theirs out on display during the day but they go back in the humi each night. He told me to leave it in the humi until the day or two before I smoke it and then break the seal and leave it out.
[Reply]
romwarrior 01:53 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
speaking about more than just cigars here, the seal on EVERYTHING goes bad eventually. some seals are good for a few months, some are good for a few years, or a few decades, but they all fail eventually.

So If there is room, I'd throw em in the humi, "just-in-case" your seal fails a bit earlier than it should.
Agreed. Unless it had something like those pop tops that most jars of food have, there's no telling how the seal is. If it's for more than a few days I'd throw it in the humi.
[Reply]
NullSmurf 02:31 PM 10-22-2008
Originally Posted by spectrrr:

BINGO! Its not that the seal fails, but all tubos leak. It might take a month buried in desert sand, but it will leak. The safe play is store them like it was just cello.

Murphy states that spilled (Viper) beads will find carpet and that a tubo in your pocket will break.
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 02:54 PM 10-22-2008
You're fine storing those Gurkhas in the glass with other cigars, chances of the flavor tainting other cigars through the glass tubes is slim.
[Reply]
Up