Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 41 of 42
« First < 31394041 42 >
Good Eats>Sous vide
stearns 09:06 AM 08-27-2020
Just pulled out some corned beef from day-after-saint-patty's-sale and threw it in the bath, 180* for 10 hours. I'll be eating good tonight and through the weekend with some corned beef hash :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:38 PM 08-27-2020
Ben, was this brisket that you corned, or was it pre-packaged, seasoned corned beef that you were cooking?
[Reply]
stearns 12:53 PM 08-27-2020
Prepackaged, got it from Whole Foods the day after St. Patty's and vac sealed it with the spice pack then threw it in the freezer for a later date
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:15 AM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by stearns:
Prepackaged, got it from Whole Foods the day after St. Patty's and vac sealed it with the spice pack then threw it in the freezer for a later date
I like to soak the corned beef over night in water to get rid of the extra salt.
[Reply]
stearns 07:19 AM 08-28-2020
This one turned out perfect, 10 hours at 180 followed by 10 minutes on a wire rack in the oven at 450* and another 10 minutes resting under foil

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I like to soak the corned beef over night in water to get rid of the extra salt.
Maybe I'll give that a try next time, I don't know if I just like salt or if my mind equates salty with the taste of corned beef but I think this turned out well seasoned (or maybe as expected) but I'm always down to try out new approaches
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:28 AM 09-19-2020
Anyone looking at the new Anova precision oven?
I was all set to pull the trigger and pre-order one when I got my balls twisted over the $50 they want to ship it.
Might give them a call and see if there's a cheaper shipping option.
If not, I'm probably going to wait and see if there's some sort of Black Friday promotion; Even if it's only free shipping.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:42 AM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Anyone looking at the new Anova precision oven?
I was all set to pull the trigger and pre-order one when I got my balls twisted over the $50 they want to ship it.
Might give them a call and see if there's a cheaper shipping option.
If not, I'm probably going to wait and see if there's some sort of Black Friday promotion; Even if it's only free shipping.
Placed my pre-order a few days ago.
Paid the $50 shipping.
I have no will power..... :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:33 AM 09-30-2020
Hey, you held out almost 11 days, Dom! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 02:01 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Hey, you held out almost 11 days, Dom! :-)
Impressive considering Anova has been promising and teasing this oven for something like 4 or 5 years now. Ever since they were acquired by the vacuum cleaner company
[Reply]
icehog3 06:14 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by T.G:
Impressive considering Anova has been promising and teasing this oven for something like 4 or 5 years now. Ever since they were acquired by the vacuum cleaner company
Do you know if they make furnaces, Adam?
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:33 PM 10-21-2020
Oven finally arrived yesterday.
This thing is way bigger than I was expecting.
I would say you could do a 15lb turkey in it pretty easily. (Something I will be trying in the next month or so)

Started off pretty small with some stuffed chicken breasts.
Cooked with the oven's Sous Vide mode at 140º for an hour and a half.
Then finished for 15 min in the oven at 450º

Trying to give a size reference, this is a 48oz Tomahawk ribeye in the oven.

Yesterday's chicken breasts

I'll be cooking that Tomahawk in the oven tonight.
Curious to see if there's any noticeable difference between the oven and regular Sous Vide.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:55 PM 10-21-2020
Chicken "looks" good....your thoughts on performance, taste, ease of use, comparison to plain old sous vide, the Treaty of Versailles, etc...
[Reply]
icehog3 06:30 PM 10-21-2020
Equally interested in the chicken's flavor and the Treaty of Versailles. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:56 AM 10-22-2020

Started off pretty small with some stuffed chicken breasts.
Cooked with the oven's Sous Vide mode at 140º for an hour and a half.
Then finished for 15 min in the oven at 450º

What is the sous vide mode?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:49 AM 10-22-2020
Dom is the oven supposed to essential replace the sous vide process? In other words, sell me on buying one :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:37 AM 10-22-2020
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Chicken "looks" good....your thoughts on performance, taste, ease of use, comparison to plain old sous vide, the Treaty of Versailles, etc...
Still getting a feel for it. Using the different modes, how well the oven transitions from different stages, etc..
So far happy with the results.

Originally Posted by T.G:
What is the sous vide mode?
Essentially, the ability to cook sous vide without the bag.

Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Dom is the oven supposed to essential replace the sous vide process? In other words, sell me on buying one :-)
I have some friends coming this weekend. Perhaps a taste test is in order?
1 steak prepared traditional sous vide, 1 steak cooked in the oven bagged, and 1 steak in the oven.
The guys coming are used to sharing steaks, so it won't be an issue. :-)

Did that 48oz Tomahawk ribeye yesterday.
This time I used the Sous vide Express mode.
This mode allows you to use a temperature probe to cook sous vide at a higher temps to reduce cook times.
I set the oven for 150°, and the probe to 130°
When the probe hit 130°, the oven lowered itself to 125° to stop cooking and just hold the meat at temp.
I took the steak out before the oven cooled, mostly because I was hungry, but also because while the oven was cooling the steak carried over to 133°.
Next time I'll factor this in; Set the oven to 145°, the probe to 127°, and hopefully achieve a doneness closer to 130°.
It took about an hour and fifteen minuets to cook right out of the fridge.
I typically let them sit out a bit then go in the water bath for 2 - 2.5 hrs for steaks this size.

[Reply]
jonumberone 09:42 AM 10-22-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Equally interested in the chicken's flavor and the Treaty of Versailles. :-)
All I know about is the Cuban sandwiches from Versailles in Miami.
And they don't have chicken on them. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:48 AM 10-22-2020
All I know about is the Cuban sandwiches from Versailles in Miami.
And they don't have chicken on them. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 01:12 PM 10-22-2020
S
I have some friends coming this weekend.
Are you including Roger in this statement?
[Reply]
icehog3 01:47 PM 10-22-2020
Ouch. :-)
[Reply]
Page 41 of 42
« First < 31394041 42 >
Up