Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>150-qt coolidor build research
Lockspur 08:20 PM 12-25-2012
Evening and Merry Christmas, everyone.

I'm researching building a 150-qt thingy (per the title) and after fondling the Igloo 152-Qt...I wasn't impressed with the latches/ability to stay closed. All three specimens I touched the latches seemed like after-thoughts.

How do they seal without the latches? Would I have to modify them to work better?

They didn't have any Coleman 150-qts on hand, so I have no experience with it.

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:34 PM 12-25-2012
The contents of your cooler will not be under any sort of pressure so as long as the lid closes well you should be fine without latches. My Coleman coolers do not have latches and they seem to be doing fine. Just my :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 06:50 AM 12-26-2012
Scotty.... Are you planning on using the cooler sitting on it's bottom. or sitting on the side, cabinet-like? If you plan on using it like a cooler (sitting on it's bottom), as long as the seal is good, don't sweat the latch issue. If using upright like a cabinet, then I'd say it could well be an issue that you should remedy. Some coolers have interior slots that BOTL use as slots for shelves, and use the cooler like a cabinet. That's "upright". I assume they either have better latches on the ones they use, or devise an alternative. I'd imagine you could find half a dozen or more secure latches at most hardware stores, so I'd say pick one you like that will span the distances involved, and go with it, if using as an upright.

I personally use mine as chests, and stack them. None of mine have latches. And I use several smaller (70 qt or so) coolers verses larger ones, because they are easier to move, and can be tucked into closets and smaller places than the bigger coolers.
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:48 AM 12-26-2012
Sville, I'm planning on using it upright like a cabinet. I've already been drooling over GolfNut's shelves/drawers which is what prompted the idea. He makes them for both the Coleman and Igloo.

The sporting goods place by me has the Igloo in green/tan...152-qt for $79. I may go with that one and make my own latches.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:17 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
Sville, I'm planning on using it upright like a cabinet. I've already been drooling over GolfNut's shelves/drawers which is what prompted the idea. He makes them for both the Coleman and Igloo.

The sporting goods place by me has the Igloo in green/tan...152-qt for $79. I may go with that one and make my own latches.
Scotty.... I think making your own latches (or adapting some from a hardware store) is a good plan. From years of using coolers with the Boy Scouts, I can readily say that the first thing to break is always the cheap latches they put on he coolers!!! We look forward to some photos when you get it up and running. Be sure to post pics when it's empty so we can get a good look at the upgrades!!!:-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:26 PM 12-26-2012
Here's part of the reason for the project:

Humi 1 is almost full with singles

Humi 2 is almost full and would like to keep it for infused sticks. It's smaller, so I don't mind sacrificing it.

15-qt cooler is just being used for staging. Good thing I had a case of Bovedas and Ziplocs. HF beads are enroute...along with several mazo's of smokes.
Attached: IMG_1456.jpg (60.2 KB) IMG_1457.jpg (40.4 KB) IMG_1459.jpg (30.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:11 PM 12-27-2012
And so it begins
Attached: IMG_1466.jpg (110.0 KB) IMG_1467.jpg (109.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 03:59 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Scotty.... I think making your own latches (or adapting some from a hardware store) is a good plan. From years of using coolers with the Boy Scouts, I can readily say that the first thing to break is always the cheap latches they put on he coolers!!! We look forward to some photos when you get it up and running. Be sure to post pics when it's empty so we can get a good look at the upgrades!!!:-)
Igloo makes replacement latches with metal hinges. I plan to replace with these the next time the crap out. http://amzn.to/Uxv2h3
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:40 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Igloo makes replacement latches with metal hinges. I plan to replace with these the next time the crap out. http://amzn.to/Uxv2h3
Nice! (ordering)

I wiped down the inside with rubbing alcohol and then distilled water. The boxes are empty and being used to get the cedar smell going. Beads should be here today, then I will have to wait a couple of paychecks to get the shelves/drawers.
[Reply]
Lockspur 02:11 PM 12-28-2012
Added this gem from Walmart...$9.
Attached: IMG_1468.jpg (74.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:05 PM 12-28-2012
Added this gem from Walmart...$9.
Aren't you going to at least ask some questions like:

You're making this too easy! :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 11:13 PM 12-28-2012
Aren't you going to at least ask some questions like:
  • Does sea salt work as good as kosher?
    I used bath salts. Just as good and they smell of lavender.
  • Should it look like a Slurpie or a Slushee?
    Frappaccino
  • Should I wait for the numbers to stop changing or would an hour be enough?
    Then how the hell am I going to get my lottery numbers???

You're making this too easy! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:13 AM 12-29-2012
:-)
Ahh... that is good! Well, I'm hopping in the car and moving to S Carolina. (seriously) I hope they have cigars there.
[Reply]
Lockspur 12:48 AM 12-30-2012
Ahh... that is good! Well, I'm hopping in the car and moving to S Carolina. (seriously) I hope they have cigars there.
Moving sucks...so very very bad. Best of luck. At least you picked a place with great scenery. :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 05:54 PM 01-01-2013
Started doing shelves. I found that the slats in the igloo aren't long enough to hold the rear and mid wires of the shelves. So I had to get creative with wooden dowels.
Attached: image.jpg (110.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Lockspur 09:42 PM 01-01-2013
Finished the cheap shelving. This will have to do until I get GolfNut's shelves ordered. But beads first.

Also, is it possible for a mod/admin to edit the title of this thread...from RESEARCH to PROJECT? TIA.
Attached: IMG_1478.jpg (110.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Lockspur 06:45 PM 01-05-2013
Ordering 1.5 pounds of Shilalas and an oust fan.
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:17 PM 01-09-2013
Beads and a fan that's about to get a grill removal. Mad Dremel skills yo.
Attached: IMG_1496.jpg (83.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Sadden 12:02 AM 01-10-2013
Looking good
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:31 AM 01-11-2013
Thanks. I got everything loaded up and let it sit. Opened it up this morning to check on progress and RH was 65%. So, naturally, without coffee, I thought...WTF! Should be at 68% by now!

Then my brain woke up and reminded me that they're 65% beads. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up