Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Vacuum Sealer Recommendations
Steve 12:56 PM 07-21-2020
Once upon a time, I had one of the original Food Saver vacuum savers. I've started looking at new ones, but there is a plethora of them out there now. Any recommendations for one around $100 or there about?

TIA
[Reply]
kydsid 02:01 PM 07-21-2020
Food Saver, the cheapest one they make ideally. I bought the cheapest one they make 15 years ago. I said I'd replace the cheap SOB as soon as it died with one of the fancy ones. Still got the dang thing. Meanwhile a couple people that have bought the fancy ones have already replaced them.

Honestly the sealer itself is cheap, it's the bags that get you. Gotta wait for deals and buy in bulk to keep costs down. We always load up on Black Friday or there abouts. Costco has occassional deals on bags as well that we will buy.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:46 PM 07-21-2020
I know it’s out of your price range, but if you decide to go with a heavier duty model, look at the Avid Armour A100. Company is out of Kansas iirc. Nicely built, very versatile. Can be had for under $300 with their coupon code.

Look for bags on Amazon. There’s other brands that you can get that work well, and are a lot cheaper.
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:59 PM 07-21-2020
I use the Food Saver. It works well enough, and as Jason pointed out they are relatively cheap and they do a decent job.

I get the bags on sale at Costco or from Amazon — they have Commercial Grade bags at very good prices in quantities of 100. Between sealing up Beads and sous vide cooking, I go through a lot of bags :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:55 AM 07-22-2020
I have this one Weston Pro-2100 Vacuum Sealer I know it's more than you want to spend, but you get what you pay for... I use it several times a day for many years now. Uses less bag as a minimum to seal. This vacuum sealer also is much wider allowing to seal whole jamons, large pieces of cheese, etc... Making buying wholesale and storing for a long time more of a reality.

I also just started using the bags instead of a roll. The rolls are critical to have, but a lot can be done with bags and it's so convenient.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:49 AM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Food Saver, the cheapest one they make ideally. I bought the cheapest one they make 15 years ago. I said I'd replace the cheap SOB as soon as it died with one of the fancy ones. Still got the dang thing. Meanwhile a couple people that have bought the fancy ones have already replaced them.

Honestly the sealer itself is cheap, it's the bags that get you. Gotta wait for deals and buy in bulk to keep costs down. We always load up on Black Friday or there abouts. Costco has occassional deals on bags as well that we will buy.
:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:11 AM 07-22-2020
buy the bags or rolls online. food saver branded bags are not a good value.
[Reply]
stearns 08:01 AM 07-22-2020
I use a foodsaver, the exact model was whatever they had on groupon at the time with the most free crap but they pretty much all work the same, I've given some as gifts that look slightly different but work just as well. One day I want to get a fancy one but don't have the space, money or justifyable reason for it
[Reply]
CEC_Tech 09:21 AM 07-22-2020
Food Saver here, it keeps all my wild game and fish sealed up nice. I've had it for about 6 years and no issues here. Definitely look to other sources for bags if you want to save money, but on the same note, Costco sells the box of rolls for a good price sometimes as others have mentioned.
[Reply]
stearns 09:23 AM 07-22-2020
A couple times a year Costco knocks their combo bag pack down by $5-10, that's the time to buy :-)
[Reply]
Up