Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Moist-N-Aire temperature gauge question
irratebass 05:43 AM 02-23-2013
I have heard that 50 =70% is this true? I have searched google, youtube, here and other sites looking for an answer and coming up with nothing, all I get are reviews and "which is better" topics.

So can someone explain the gauges to me please?
[Reply]
Zane 05:53 AM 02-23-2013
I have been searching to no avail. Just set it and test it? Before you add your stash.
[Reply]
T.G 07:26 AM 02-23-2013
You have to use a separate hydrometer with them. Set the dial at whatever, say 50, then let it run in your cabinet for a bit and adjust the dial up or down to get closer to your desired humidity. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get the humidity in the cabinet to where you want it.
[Reply]
EricF 08:06 AM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
You have to use a separate hydrometer with them. Set the dial at whatever, say 50, then let it run in your cabinet for a bit and adjust the dial up or down to get closer to your desired humidity. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get the humidity in the cabinet to where you want it.
This is what I had to do Mickey. But once it is set, it is set and you are good to go. I also added a circulation fan in my humi to keep the air going and prevent "wet spots". Oust fans are great also if you can find them

Not sure what you have yours in, but in my humi it runs maybe once a week from me opening the door all the time. MIne is pretty stable at 66-67%
[Reply]
irratebass 08:37 AM 02-23-2013
Thanks guys, I had it at 50 and was good at 64,65 & 67 (3 hygrometers top, middle and bottom) I turned it up to 60 and it was at 71, 74 & 77!!! so I put it back down to 50, will check tonight when I get off work.

I just wasn't sure if there was a scale out there that I needed to go by, I am thinking 50-55 is the ticket.
[Reply]
shilala 09:04 AM 02-23-2013
Iirc, when I used mine I had it set at right around 50. It yielded somewhere around 65%.
Adam called it, you have to test once she's set up.

One thing with the moist n aire...
It needs room to breathe in order to work it's best at bringing your humidor back to it's setpoint. If it's in a small area it will short-cycle. Run for just a few minutes, shut off, then wait for that humidity it created to work it's way around your humidor. That takes time.
Then it'll run a little bit again, and again, and again. Ultimately it does the same thing but it overworks itself to get the job done and takes a lot longer.
By just arranging a path or no resistance above the unit, it'll work it's very best. Just an inch or two of airspace down the sides and across the top of your humidor will make for a perfect circular airflow and all will be right with the world.
[Reply]
irratebass 09:10 AM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by shilala:
Iirc, when I used mine I had it set at right around 50. It yielded somewhere around 65%.
Adam called it, you have to test once she's set up.

One thing with the moist n aire...
It needs room to breathe in order to work it's best at bringing your humidor back to it's setpoint. If it's in a small area it will short-cycle. Run for just a few minutes, shut off, then wait for that humidity it created to work it's way around your humidor. That takes time.
Then it'll run a little bit again, and again, and again. Ultimately it does the same thing but it overworks itself to get the job done and takes a lot longer.
By just arranging a path or no resistance above the unit, it'll work it's very best. Just an inch or two of airspace down the sides and across the top of your humidor will make for a perfect circular airflow and all will be right with the world.
Thanks for the advice, this will help when I start to load my new tower.
[Reply]
shilala 09:20 AM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Thanks for the advice, this will help when I start to load my new tower.
You're welcome, Mickey.
I noticed I didn't mention trying to give the unit headspace. I don't know how your humi is arranged but if it has some room above it that helps a lot. You want it on the bottom and against a side, btw. If it's got more room on the next shelf up, don't be afraid to set it up on that level.
[Reply]
irratebass 09:22 AM 02-23-2013
You're welcome, Mickey.
I noticed I didn't mention trying to give the unit headspace. I don't know how your humi is arranged but if it has some room above it that helps a lot. You want it on the bottom and against a side, btw. If it's got more room on the next shelf up, don't be afraid to set it up on that level.
I have it on the bottom left right now and like I said it seems to be doing well, but it's empty.....so I will look at it more tomorrow when I plan on filling it, it's been seasoning since Monday.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:10 AM 02-23-2013
mickey if you need an oust fan I actually ordered a couple of them off amazon a few weeks ago for my winador, i use one of them but you are welcome to the extra one, just shoot me a pm if you want to try it out to even out your box.
[Reply]
shilala 11:00 AM 02-23-2013
I have it on the bottom left right now and like I said it seems to be doing well, but it's empty.....so I will look at it more tomorrow when I plan on filling it, it's been seasoning since Monday.
They throw out a crazy amount of water, Mickey. They'll overcome damn near any amount of leaky humidor. They're like the industrial size of cabinet humi humidifiers. I think you'll be pleased.
Just don't expect it to deliver a super steady RH %age like beads in a little box. They don't do that, they work "across a range". That range adds up to perfect, but in a wobbly, up and down, all over fashion. You're shooting for a good average RH with this thing, and it'll do just that.
Who cares how ya get it done just as long as it's right, right? :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 11:27 AM 02-23-2013
They throw out a crazy amount of water, Mickey. They'll overcome damn near any amount of leaky humidor. They're like the industrial size of cabinet humi humidifiers. I think you'll be pleased.
Just don't expect it to deliver a super steady RH %age like beads in a little box. They don't do that, they work "across a range". That range adds up to perfect, but in a wobbly, up and down, all over fashion. You're shooting for a good average RH with this thing, and it'll do just that.
Sounds awesome Scott, thanks once again......I'll keep informed.
[Reply]
EricF 11:49 AM 02-23-2013
I agree with Scott as mine does just that! I put a 1lb bag of beads on each of my shelves and that helps greatly in maintaining a more even RH.

Post a pic once you fill it. Cuz you know what would happen if the pics showed it empty!!

All kidding aside, Have fun filling it up cuz I know I had fun filling mine! :-)
[Reply]
joeobx 01:17 PM 02-23-2013
I think he should post a pick before he fills it, that way we get a nice clear picture of where he placed it. :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 04:06 PM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by joeobx:
I think he should post a pick before he fills it, that way we get a nice clear picture of where he placed it. :-)
:-) No way! You guys are devious heh.
[Reply]
irratebass 04:07 PM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by EricF:
I agree with Scott as mine does just that! I put a 1lb bag of beads on each of my shelves and that helps greatly in maintaining a more even RH.

Post a pic once you fill it. Cuz you know what would happen if the pics showed it empty!!

All kidding aside, Have fun filling it up cuz I know I had fun filling mine! :-)
A pound on each shelf? That sounds like overkill.
[Reply]
Zane 07:33 PM 02-23-2013
A pound on each shelf? That sounds like overkill.
Nah. Just helps the RH rebound quicker.
[Reply]
Up