Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Salt Test
Sadden 02:02 PM 01-21-2013
My two hygros just got here. Is sea salt okay. And i added tap water instead of distilled. Will this prevent the test from working properly.

Thanks Guys.
[Reply]
OLS 02:07 PM 01-21-2013
I seriously doubt it. Just make a very thick paste of the salt and you have the recipe.
[Reply]
Sadden 02:12 PM 01-21-2013
Thank you. My concern was that the chlorine and flouride content of tap water would prevent the salt from relasing moisture properly.
[Reply]
OLS 02:42 PM 01-25-2013
Now I am not saying that wouldn't happen, I am not a scientist.
But I am a guy who is practiced at saying F it.
Your plan did not sound bad to me. BUT, eventually you are
going to need some distilled water anyway, so not sure if you
NEED to do the test that way. Any chain drug store will have it.
[Reply]
Bondo 287 02:48 PM 01-25-2013
I think the reason for distilled on the test is as to not contaminate the hygrometers with tap water, and then put them in your humidor. Probably just voodoo. Shouldn't make a difference testwise. Distilled is just filtered. But like Brad says, you'll need it eventually. If you don't use it, the wife can use it in her iron.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:00 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Bondo 287:
I think the reason for distilled on the test is as to not contaminate the hygrometers with tap water, and then put them in your humidor. Probably just voodoo. Shouldn't make a difference testwise. Distilled is just filtered. But like Brad says, you'll need it eventually. If you don't use it, the wife can use it in her iron.
Not true. There is a big difference between distilled and filtered water. Two completely different processes and resultant products. For the salt test it doesnt matter which type of water you use. Tap water is just fine. For your beads, always use distilled water.:-)
[Reply]
Bax 05:11 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Not true. There is a big difference between distilled and filtered water. Two completely different processes and resultant products. For the salt test it doesnt matter which type of water you use. Tap water is just fine. For your beads, always use distilled water.:-)
:-) Very true!.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:03 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-)
[Reply]
Sadden 08:14 PM 01-25-2013
I always have 8+ liters of distilled on hand , i just didnt think to use distilled.
Everything seems to be alright. Im gonna re test them in a week or two to see how they are.
[Reply]
Up