Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Storing Infused Cigars
Sadden 12:27 AM 01-10-2013
So i want to keep a couple boxes of different infused cigars on hand (for my odd sweet tooth and for guests who arent really into cigars). But obviously i dont want to store them in my main humi.

Could i store them in sealed glass jars in my humi or on a shelf outside of my humi?

Would each individual jar need humidification?

I have a small desktop that i might repurpose for infused sticks once my aristocrat gets here , but i dont think it will quite be large enough for my needs. And i dont want to invest alot of money in storing cigars for the odd guest that is not into regular sticks.

Ideas?
[Reply]
bobarian 12:32 AM 01-10-2013
Jars are fine, so is tupperware or ziplock bags. Use a Boveda pack in each if you will be storing for more than a month or two. If you plan on smoking them all within a few months they wont need humidification. :-)
[Reply]
omowasu 12:37 AM 01-10-2013
I like the sealed glass jar idea with a Boveda contained therein. Cant go wrong there.

Or, a dedicated humidor with beads or a Boveda. But I think the jar would hold moisture and flavors better.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 01:05 AM 01-10-2013
I have a humi for my cigars and my wives cigars(she smokes infused) . I know BHALBROOKS does the same. But i do not see a problem with Jars with a humi device in it. If you ask me i think they would look pretty cool on a shelf. I would just make sure you use a JAR like below. It has a seal and a locking lid. :-)
[Reply]
Bondo 287 04:28 AM 01-10-2013
One Humidor and one Acidor here. My observations, if I may :

If you are going to do the jar route, that will work as long as all infused are the same " flavor". If you start storing Acid Blondies in the same jar with Java Late and Kuba Kubas I'll tell you right now you will regret it. In separate compartments in my Acidor however, has no ill effects.

Infused do not benefit from aging. A two year old Acid belongs in the trash, because the infusion sours. The infusion is actually a myriad of multiple elements and some expire earlier than others, creating an unbalanced, horrible concoction ! I have come across this! But the tobacco will dry out so include humidification if your plan is long term. While storing I keep the cello on, if you are interested.

Jar storage without a packet may be good for a month, sort of like Bob said. I get a better value and buy by the case, and I also smoke non infused so 25 Acids will be around more than 30 days. So mine get humidification.

I suggest only storing as many infused as you can enjoy within 90 days. You can stay consistently stocked just date and rotate. Since I have a humi I can oder a case, smoke them down, then just reorder.
[Reply]
mjdx88 08:09 AM 01-10-2013
I used a stainless jar kinda like the acrylic jar, with a cheapie hydrometer and a drymistat stick. I normally leave the drymistat stick in for a few days and then take it out. The jar normally holds 68-70 RH for about 15-20 days no problem. When the RH dips to about 63RH I add the stick again.

Now I dont smoke every day so my jar opens maybe once a week. You may need to add and remove your humidity source more or less depending on how often you smoke, or not at all if you go with beads. I have found since I am using a jar over a humidor, the drymistat stick will settle around 73-74 RH if left in the jar.

Also I keep all my infused sticks in cello, i have never had an issue with having blondies and something like a kuba kuba or java mixing. I have even left a few non infused sticks in the jar for a week or so with no issues! But this is just my experience, I wouldnt leave non infused sticks in for much longer.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:10 AM 01-10-2013
Infused cigars will change flavors if you have other infused cigars along side them. Jars are cheap, bovedas are about 3-4 bucks a piece. Just get 5 or 6 jars, store each lot of particular stick in the jars and put a boveda in each one. So your cigars might cost a dollar each extra overall due to the storage costs, but it's better than grabbing an acid blondie and having it taste exactly like a Kuba Kuba. Trust me, I learned from experience.
[Reply]
mmblz 10:18 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
it's better than grabbing an acid blondie and having it taste exactly like a Kuba Kuba.
Sounds like a travesty
:-)

I would just use ziplock bags
[Reply]
jldude12345 06:01 PM 01-20-2013
You can buy a seperate humidor for the infused stogies. They go for 15 to 20 on ebay.:-)
[Reply]
Sadden 07:53 PM 01-20-2013
I have an aristocrat on the way so now myy desktop will be converted/upgraded for infused sticks.
[Reply]
mjdx88 09:30 PM 01-20-2013
Nice call....i wish I could have a separate humi for infused..right now tho my jar works great then again I usually only have 10-15 infused sticks at a time.
[Reply]
Sadden 01:41 PM 01-21-2013
Yeah. when my aristocrat gets here im going to take apart the deaktop and upgrade the seals upgrade the hygro and change to beads for humidification.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:53 PM 01-21-2013
I store my infused cigars where they belong . . . in the distributor's warehouse. :-)

No, I'm not. :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 01:54 PM 01-21-2013
I always leave my Infused Sticks at the B&M right there on the shelves that way anybody can have them!!! LOL
[Reply]
Sadden 01:59 PM 01-21-2013
Im just planning on having a small box or so on hand for people who dont really smoke cigars. also gonna try and get the gf into the hobby. Im not really a fan of sucking sugra through a straw.
[Reply]
Up