Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor Build Questions
ksknnr 11:32 AM 01-09-2013
So I have decided to take on a winter project, and I just had a few questions for the experts. I picked up a good size cabinet at a local estate sale. Its pretty cool, it looks like a grandfather Clock, but the whole thing besides the clock on top is a cabinet with 4 shelves. I think it may be oak, but it is painted black, so I may strip it down to bare wood. It is a pretty solid piece.
I was planning on buying or having made some cedar drawers. Is it absolutely neccesary to line the inside with cedar before I install the drawers?
Also, any suggestions on what type of humidty device would work better? beads or a humidifer?
The inside dimensions are roughly 48" High x 12" wide x 12" deep

Any help would be great, I will start posting pics when the project gets started.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:37 AM 01-09-2013
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56327
[Reply]
shilala 12:33 PM 01-09-2013
I'd like to build a grandfather clock. Scratch that. I WILL build a grandfather clock one of these days. :-)
Threadjack off.
[Reply]
Robulous78 03:11 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by ksknnr:
So I have decided to take on a winter project, and I just had a few questions for the experts. I picked up a good size cabinet at a local estate sale. Its pretty cool, it looks like a grandfather Clock, but the whole thing besides the clock on top is a cabinet with 4 shelves. I think it may be oak, but it is painted black, so I may strip it down to bare wood. It is a pretty solid piece.
I was planning on buying or having made some cedar drawers. Is it absolutely neccesary to line the inside with cedar before I install the drawers?
Also, any suggestions on what type of humidty device would work better? beads or a humidifer?
The inside dimensions are roughly 48" High x 12" wide x 12" deep

Any help would be great, I will start posting pics when the project gets started.
I know as soon as I say this someone will disagree with me... but I would say for the purposes of making sure everything is sealed up tight and making sure when you do order your drawers it would probably be best to start by lining the cabinet first, IMHO... :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:12 PM 01-09-2013
Each wood has a different smell. For example, I have a solid oak bureau that makes my clothes smell like, well, oak. So, after you strip it, I'd give it a sniff and see if that's how you want your cigars to smell. If not, line. :-)
[Reply]
Bondo 287 06:14 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56327
Awesome link. Enjoyed :-)

Before you line, talk to your tray manufacturer. Likely he will have some input.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:20 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Bondo 287:
Awesome link. Enjoyed :-)
Figured its basically the same thing he's looking to do.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:22 PM 01-09-2013
Yea Bob... awesome link... thanks :-)
[Reply]
ksknnr 06:30 PM 01-09-2013
That was a helpful link, that's actually where I got the inspiration to take this on. I only hope mine comes out half as good as that one.
[Reply]
the nub 07:38 PM 01-09-2013
if it's tall and narrower like typical grandfather clocks then you will be faced with humidity stratification. Even with fans, it would be difficult to force humidity throughout this shape of cabinet with only one humidifying device. IMO best to go with a humidifying device in each area that is restricted by airflow. Beads would be your best option.
[Reply]
Up