Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Season a cedar-lined 3-finger case?
shopkins82 08:54 AM 01-02-2013
For Christmas my father-in-law gave me a fairly nice looking black-leather three-finger cigar case. It is lined (both halves) with what looks (and smells) like cedar. I doubt I'll ever use this case for durations any longer than a single evening since I have a couple of 4-stick Black Ops cases and a 15-stick tupperdor for travel. That said, is there much reason to season this case the same way I would a humidor? Should I toss in a Boveda seasoning pack and seal it up in a Tupperware container or Ziploc bag for a few weeks? Or just use it as is?

Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:02 AM 01-02-2013
It's good to go as is for short-term storage.
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 09:04 AM 01-02-2013
IMHO, if you're going to smoke them in a few hours or even a couple of days, not much will happen to the cigars in there so there's probably no reason to season it. Being the anal type I am, though, I'd most likely open it up and stick it in my humidor to at least attempt to get the cedar in it up to proper humidity.

Realistically I doubt seriously that even a couple of days out of the humidor is going to harm the smoke-ability of your sticks. That said, I've been wrong before. :-) Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will jump in here if I'm worng :-) this time.

Enjoy your 'gars! :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:44 AM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by JoeCool87TC:
IMHO, if you're going to smoke them in a few hours or even a couple of days, not much will happen to the cigars in there so there's probably no reason to season it. Being the anal type I am, though, I'd most likely open it up and stick it in my humidor to at least attempt to get the cedar in it up to proper humidity.

Realistically I doubt seriously that even a couple of days out of the humidor is going to harm the smoke-ability of your sticks. That said, I've been wrong before. :-) Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will jump in here if I'm worng :-) this time.

Enjoy your 'gars! :-)
Spot on, Joe.

No seasoning necessary. No humidifcation needed either.
For one evening or a couple of days, you will be fine.
The only caveat is that if you are in a climate where the RH is above 75% RH or below 40% RH, then I might consider not leaving them in the case longer than that evening.
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:20 PM 01-02-2013
Just fill it with three choice sticks & your are good... :-)

Don forget your lighter...
[Reply]
Sadden 01:03 PM 01-02-2013
Depends on well it seals when you close it. If it sealed up good i would probably season it so that the cedar could help keep the cigars at proper RH over a longer peroid of time. I have no evidence or data to back that up. But i think the humidified cedar would give you a day or two more breathing room.

But you already have traveling cases so its kind of a wash...
[Reply]
czerbe 01:24 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD:

Don forget your lighter...
And Cutter :-):-)
[Reply]
STEVE S 02:26 PM 01-02-2013
Good to go just as it is, for one or two days.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 02:28 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by czerbe:
And Cutter :-):-)
And if you forget your cutter, just gently take your teeth and nibble the end to get it tender and then bite off the capa. Works like a charm every time!
[Reply]
dwoodward 04:53 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by iaMkcK:
And if you forget your cutter, just gently take your teeth and nibble the end to get it tender and then bite off the capa. Works like a charm every time!
I forgot the cutter when camping last year and just took a pocket knife and made 2 cuts like an X in the cap. it worked pretty well tbh, a little bit flaked off, but it just opened the draw a little more.

There's so many ways to cut a cigar if you use your imagination lol.
[Reply]
Up