Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>To Cool Or Not To Cool....
BradNC 09:33 PM 05-26-2009
That is the question....

I have a small desktop humidor by Diamond Crown that has been great for me. For some reason, I'm considering getting a Vinotemp or the wood finish Edgestar. Anywho......how imperative is cooling? I've been reading here and on the "Inter-web" (Craig Ferguson). I doubt the founding cigar fathers cooled things on that little island near Florida but I understand the "whys" of doing it.

I'm in Sacramento (big hint in my user name) and it does get warm in my house during the day since I'm the only one who lives here and I sure don't want a beetle problem. Is this a problem between my ears or should I get a cooled unit?

I really appreciate the help and love the site.

Thanks,
Brad
[Reply]
bobarian 10:17 PM 05-26-2009
There are two options when temps rise above 72 for long periods of time. Either freeze everything for 48-72 hours or use a cooled storage. Most factories freeze their cigars at some point but there is still the danger of beetle contamination. :-)
[Reply]
BradNC 10:29 PM 05-26-2009
Thanks bobarian. I remember you from the other site. I think you are the first person I ever did a trade with. Thanks!
[Reply]
bobarian 02:32 AM 05-27-2009
NP Brad. We will be herfing on Saturday at Grant's place in Elk Grove. If you have a chance to stop in and meet some of the guys and have a smoke. PM me for details. We will be starting about 1 and going til late. :-) Several other new guys will also be attending their first herf!:-)
[Reply]
groogs 12:19 PM 05-27-2009
I went with the freeze everything option. I am building myself a new cabinet and the price of the cooling units pushed me to freeze everything. I also live in sacramento, and if you don't want to freeze, I would suggest geting a veno or something to keep your cigars below 70.

Like Bob said, come out and herf Saturday if you are available.
[Reply]
fishstix 12:30 PM 05-27-2009
I've been eyeing that herf for the last two weeks but unfortunately have parental responsibilities. Otherwise I would have jumped on it to introduce myself to some of you guys.

Brad - I have my old vino sitting in the garage - if you're interested shoot me a pm. I wouldn't expect much for it.
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:55 PM 05-27-2009
Cool it Brad!

:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:37 PM 05-27-2009
I vote for a cooled unit. More peace of mind and it's future proof in case you decide to move to warmer climates. :-)
[Reply]
BradNC 10:38 PM 05-27-2009
True. When I've been at work all day and come home it is 80 inside the house sometimes. I have a small cigar inventory so I'm thinking about getting the Vinotemp tabletop unit for cigars.
[Reply]
BradNC 11:05 PM 05-27-2009
Just ordered the tabletop unit. It is a bit expensive but should be ok for my needs. I got it for $175 including shipping and all. I'm just going to bill JE for it.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:47 PM 05-27-2009
hah....
[Reply]
Ahbroody 05:40 PM 06-01-2009
I am starting to freeze everything, but have had some weird issues.
The cigars are now wet weeks after freezing. I was of the belief that freezing would help dry the sticks out, but the opposite is happening. The other sticks in my humi are not getting this condition so i know its not my humidity. The frozen sticks weeks later are wet and so muted out they are not smokeable.

I though freezing dried out sticks?
[Reply]
Up