Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 55 of 70
« First < 545535455 565765 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Mikes 08:18 AM 03-27-2012
I do all of my washing out in the yard....Grass is always greener there ;o)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:33 PM 03-27-2012
Brewing the sour half of a Berliner Weiss this evening. 2 gallons of wort going onto a cup or two of pilsner malt for to get the lacto culture going. Also going to pitch some jolly pumpkin dregs into it.

Friday I'll brew 3 gallons of the same wort and pitch a kolsch yeast into it. When they both finish up I'll blend them over raspberries or something. Should be a killer lawnmower beer come end of July and August.
[Reply]
ktblunden 02:29 PM 03-28-2012
I've got a blonde (AG) and an amber (extract) in primary right now. Probably bottle the blonde this weekend and I've got plans to brew a big IIPA on April 13th so I'll probably reuse the yeast cake on the amber for that one.
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 06:43 AM 03-31-2012
Starting my first home brew today. A little anxious with all this sanitization, hope i dont miss a little microbe
[Reply]
Salvelinus 07:10 AM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by JohnnyKay5:
Starting my first home brew today. A little anxious with all this sanitization, hope i dont miss a little microbe
Don't be. Do the best you can and pitch healthy yeast. You won't have any issues.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:12 PM 03-31-2012
15 gallons transferred into secondary today.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:30 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by johnnykay5:
starting my first home brew today. A little anxious with all this sanitization, hope i dont miss a little microbe
high five!
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 01:41 PM 04-01-2012
so far so good. 21 hours from completion of racking to the primary, used liquid wyeast, fermenting like a champ
[Reply]
reggiebuckeye 06:02 PM 04-01-2012
Looking at taking the plunge when I get back from deployment. Debating how far I want to jump. Keg vs bottle. Extract vs all-grain. Decisions, decisions. Suggestions? Can I keg and bottle? I have about two months to make a decision.
[Reply]
Mikey202 06:31 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
Overall score was a 28. That is the top of the good range. I think the brew needs to bottle condition for a few more months. The reciepe says that it peaks between 3-9 months. It only has 2 on it. It was a good learning experiance.
2nd contest it scored a 33 1/2. That is in the very good range. Between the 2 contests, 3 out of the 4 judges said it was "hot". Which meant that it had, to much alcohol bite/ medicinal. I think that should mellow, with bottle aging.
Also, it had to much spice profile. Both of these are "out of style" for a Belgian Dubble.

I enjoyed it . Was cool to get feedback.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:50 PM 04-01-2012
Brewed a Pale Ale with 4 ounces of Cascade hops, this weekend.
[Reply]
rack04 08:14 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by reggiebuckeye:
Looking at taking the plunge when I get back from deployment. Debating how far I want to jump. Keg vs bottle. Extract vs all-grain. Decisions, decisions. Suggestions? Can I keg and bottle? I have about two months to make a decision.
Reggie,

You can bottle from a keg. Don't think you need to get a beer gun. Search for a DIY counter pressure bottle filler.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:21 PM 04-01-2012
Both.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/
Works slick.
Keg, then fill growlers or bottles as needed.
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 10:22 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by icantbejon:

Are you a member of the James River Homebrewers Club?
Might have to look into this when i get up there.
[Reply]
reggiebuckeye 08:27 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by rack04:
Reggie,

You can bottle from a keg. Don't think you need to get a beer gun. Search for a DIY counter pressure bottle filler.
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Both.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/
Works slick.
Keg, then fill growlers or bottles as needed.
Thanks for the input. DIY? You obviously don't know who you're talking to. :-)
I will look into working that out. I do have a bit of time. Guess I'll start extract. All-grain eventually.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:37 AM 04-02-2012
Homebrew Herfest II on Saturday with icantbejon, Matt, and Doug (from Winston's Humidor fame,) all brewing up different beers:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...postcount=1664

JohnnyKay5 was on remote with us from NC doing his first brew :-)

I brewed up a Rauchbier/Smoked Octoberfest which smelled incredible in the kettle, pitched it on top of a bock yeastcake and the thing took off almost immediately.

Ferg brewed a Kolsch, and at the end of the day we combined our second runnings into a smaller batch which I cooked up later that evening and pitched with some Bell's yeast. It's still not doing anything in the fermenter, so maybe that experiment will be a bust. It was one ugly looking beer anyway :-)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 10:37 AM 04-02-2012
I will look into working that out. I do have a bit of time. Guess I'll start extract. All-grain eventually.
I think that is the way to go. You can get great results with extract brewing. You'll get a handle on whether or not you enjoy the process. If you do, then look into all grain.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:55 AM 04-02-2012
if you can buy the parts and slip the rubber stopper over the racking cane, then plug it into a pre-made hose.. You are good to go.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 12:15 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Mikey202:
2nd contest it scored a 33 1/2. That is in the very good range. Between the 2 contests, 3 out of the 4 judges said it was "hot". Which meant that it had, to much alcohol bite/ medicinal. I think that should mellow, with bottle aging.
Also, it had to much spice profile. Both of these are "out of style" for a Belgian Dubble.

I enjoyed it . Was cool to get feedback.
I'm surprised the scores differed by that much. I'm psyched to get some beers into competition next month after reading your comments. Be good to get some feedback.

Hot alcohols (fusels generally) can be formed from fermenting too warm and not pitching enough yeast. Reading up on Belgian brewing it seems like a lot of the breweries start fermentation cool to keep fusels down and then let the temps ramp up later in the process.
[Reply]
reggiebuckeye 01:58 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
I think that is the way to go. You can get great results with extract brewing. You'll get a handle on whether or not you enjoy the process. If you do, then look into all grain.
That's the plan.

Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
if you can buy the parts and slip the rubber stopper over the racking cane, then plug it into a pre-made hose.. You are good to go.
So, super simple? EXCELLENT!!
[Reply]
Page 55 of 70
« First < 545535455 565765 > Last »
Up