Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>So my Uncle decided to unload his humidor on me...
Bleez 09:07 PM 03-22-2012
My Aunt is Dominican and her family always brings my Uncle cigars from over there. He's not much of a cigar smoker, more of a cig and budweiser kindve guy, so he gave me his 125 count(guess). It wasnt kept in the best shape bc it was dusty and had been out on the back porch (in South Georgia) for who knows how long. Not sure I'm actually gonna smoke any of these things bc some I found mold on some I found beetle holes in, and others are hard as a rock. There are a few that I could possibly salvage...Long story short(ish) my question is if I should even think about smoking the ones that aren't moldy/holey/hard as a rock...At least I got a nice humi out of it (well cleaned and soon to be seasoned)

I've researched as many as I could but here are the contents of said humi:

(Random amounts of each)

Gran Habano #3
Don Dario
Vasquez Cigar
Cohiba (yellow label, DR)
Cohiba red dot
Quintero Tabacos Habana
Fuente Gran Reserva (7" and maybe 5")
La Habanera
Oliberos
Pleiades 2005
Ghurka Empire V
Oliveros
Hoya de Monterey Excalibur

Any of these worth trying to salvage? (if they arent rock hard, moldy, holey)
[Reply]
Ismith75 09:09 PM 03-22-2012
Excaliburs have always been a favorite of mine. Nothing special but always sit well with me.
[Reply]
maninblack 09:14 PM 03-22-2012
Try and salvage what you can unless you find mold or beetles. If so pitch them and start over with your new humi.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:25 PM 03-22-2012
As Kevin suggested -- if they are not moldy or infested give them a try! You have nothing to lose and if you light one up and don't like it you can always pitch it and try another.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:28 PM 03-22-2012
:-)

If nothing else, you can practice cutting and lighting technique on them before you pitch them. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:29 PM 03-22-2012
Try the non moldy non bettle ones, see what you got. I have a feeling they are probably all toast, but who knows.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 09:39 PM 03-22-2012
You could keep them isolated and see which ones end up being good smokes. Other than that might not be worth the trouble.
[Reply]
Bleez 09:42 PM 03-22-2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to grab the ones that seem salvageable and freeze them. I may just let the Vasquez and Don Dario go to the can because I can't find any info on them. They could just be local smokes from the DR. Maybe I'll keep a couple of each just in case. Going to toss the ones without wrappers as they may just be dog turds disguised as cigars...
[Reply]
44stampede 09:43 PM 03-22-2012
Make sure the humi is really clean before you put fresh cigars in and I wouldn't mix any of those ones currently in there with any new ones in case there is mold or creepy crawlies. That just my :-)
[Reply]
thecatch83 09:47 PM 03-22-2012
No...
[Reply]
Reaver2145 10:03 PM 03-22-2012
If you can save the olivas and hoyos i would try the Quintero are good too from memory.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 10:55 PM 03-22-2012
If it were me, they would all be in the garbage already... Why stick that crap in your mouth? Like you said... they've been sitting on the porch, in the heat etc. None for me, thanks.
[Reply]
irratebass 04:26 AM 03-23-2012
I'm with Ryan, throw them all out and start fresh with your cool vintage humi :-)
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 07:56 AM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
Try and salvage what you can unless you find mold or beetles. If so pitch them and start over with your new humi.
+1 and remember freeze all "save-able" cigars
[Reply]
bobarian 11:40 AM 03-23-2012
I see no reason to freeze anything at this point. If there were any viable eggs they would have hatched long ago. It may take several months to rehydrate and bring them back to life. Also, check for the sticky on seasoning your humidor, this will take a couple of weeks if it as dry as you seem to say. :-)
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 12:03 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I see no reason to freeze anything at this point. If there were any viable eggs they would have hatched long ago.
I didn't think of that.
[Reply]
shopkins82 01:46 PM 03-23-2012
Out of paranoia I'd still freeze the salvagable sticks and toss them in a tupperdor with a boveda pack for a few months. As for the Humi, I'd wipe down with Rubbing Alcohol, silicone seal the glass top, dollar-bill-check the seal, and then fully re-season. None of the above actions will cost you much more than your time, and you might have a gem on either side...
[Reply]
hotreds 02:30 PM 03-23-2012
Nothing there really expensive or rare. Then again, it wouldn't hurt to try any of the ones that aren't moldy- even the moldy ones depending on how much mold. It also depends on how many other cigars you have, if any of the ones in the humi were ones that you wnated to try, etc. It's really a toss up.
[Reply]
shilala 03:15 PM 03-23-2012
If it means anything to you, the Quinteros are Cubans. They might be a bit more salvageable than some of the others.
They're an inexpensive, half-decent stick. I'd bring them up to about 60% RH and smoke one to see if they're worthwhile. It'll take a couple months, so be patient. :-)
The rest, I'd probably just chuck them. That's only because none are to my taste. I think your idea of tossing the nasty ones, cleaning the others up up, and trying them out is probably best. If they smoke lousy, then you can chuck them. You have nothing invested, so you really have nothing to lose, right?
Good luck, and please let us know how it all works out. :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 08:22 PM 03-23-2012
Welcome aboard!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up