Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Freezing Tubos?
jakesmokes 03:33 PM 03-22-2012
Sorry if this is an old question.. I freeze incoming cigars religiously. But I am wondering if freezing Tubos is really all that necessary. If one cigar gets a beetle in it.. there seems to be no chance that the beetle can get to other cigars since its trapped in an aluminum tube.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

David
[Reply]
Zanaspus 04:30 PM 03-22-2012
If you're ok with single sticks being destroyed, don't bother. Any tubos I buy are dear, and I'd rather not just throw tens and twenties into the trash bin.
[Reply]
jluck 04:39 PM 03-22-2012
I have read about beetles actually eating through aluminum. Don't know how true it is but if you freeze all incoming cigars "religiously" there wont be any need for concern right?
[Reply]
Bax 04:47 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I have read about beetles actually eating through aluminum. Don't know how true it is but if you freeze all incoming cigars "religiously" there wont be any need for concern right?
Wrong, it greatly reduces the chance but doesn't eliminate it completely. Freeze and check constantly, then pray and then check again :-)
[Reply]
jakesmokes 05:04 PM 03-22-2012
I do freeze religiously. It just seems kind of pointless in the case of tubos. I worry more about the spread of the buggers than losing one cigar. My most prized cigars are not in tubos.

I have never heard of an insect chewing through metal before. I am inclined to think its not possible. I'd be curious if there is evidence to the contrary.

David
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:08 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by jakesmokes:
I do freeze religiously. It just seems kind of pointless in the case of tubos. I worry more about the spread of the buggers than losing one cigar. My most prized cigars are not in tubos.

I have never heard of an insect chewing through metal before. I am inclined to think its not possible. I'd be curious if there is evidence to the contrary.

David
I'd be curious to see evidence of this as well. Seems highly unlikely.
[Reply]
bonjing 05:15 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by jakesmokes:
I do freeze religiously. It just seems kind of pointless in the case of tubos.
Not sure about you but I am clumsy as heck! I freeze everything, that way when the day comes and I open the one tubo that was infested with beetles and I with my luck just so happen to drop it in with the rest of the other sticks contaminating them as well. :-) it's not gonna hurt it by freezing it.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 05:24 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I'd be curious to see evidence of this as well. Seems highly unlikely.
I believe this is what Jared may be referring to: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...4&postcount=58

Hardly convincing evidence and Wayner admits that in the post. If you're nervous about freezing the tubos, you can always pull the cigar out and freeze the cigars without the tubos.
[Reply]
jluck 05:35 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Bax:
Wrong, it greatly reduces the chance but doesn't eliminate it completely. Freeze and check constantly, then pray and then check again :-)
My point was that if OP freezes all incoming cigars why not treat the tubo stuff to the same. I just think if I was freezing cigars I would not exclude the tubos, Just don't make sense to me.

And I don't necessarily believe that beetles could eat through aluminum either hence the careful wording in my first post.
:-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 06:07 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I believe this is what Jared may be referring to: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...4&postcount=58

Hardly convincing evidence and Wayner admits that in the post. If you're nervous about freezing the tubos, you can always pull the cigar out and freeze the cigars without the tubos.
What if the beetle is in the tube? I'm no expert, but I would think freezing the whole thing would be the best protection.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 08:14 PM 03-22-2012
I store my tubos in the humi with the caps off so I freeze EVERYTHING.
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:15 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:

Looool... look at all that beetle poo... :-)

I'm surprised that beetle didn't evolve into a Pikachu with all that food.
[Reply]
Up