Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Just ordered a humidor
aar0n 08:39 PM 07-19-2010
haha, thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I had a good laugh as well as soaked up some useful info. I will definitely not rush it, but due to a small budget at the moment I have to deal with a small humidor. Today I also just tried a CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon. It was decent but I havent developed a good taste for cigars yet, only my second unflavored cigar since the ACIDS :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 09:42 PM 07-19-2010
Your palette will grow in time brother. I prefer unflavored sticks. The flavored sticks to an unflavored is like smoking cloves and smoking a regular cigarette.

Welcome to the asylum. You definitly got all the advice you needed in the previous 20 posts.

I second not rushing. I second a bigger box when the time comes. I second the beads and packs. I second the Tupperware. Definitly second the digital hygrometer, the analog one that comes with it is usually crap. The only advice I could possibly add would be to find a good spot for your humi. It will take to your room. So, not too hot, not too cold. You can read all about the proper temps in the Asylum but to spare you the 43000 hours of reading and debate, 65 - 70 F should do you well.
[Reply]
aar0n 11:45 PM 07-19-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Your palette will grow in time brother. I prefer unflavored sticks. The flavored sticks to an unflavored is like smoking cloves and smoking a regular cigarette.

Welcome to the asylum. You definitly got all the advice you needed in the previous 20 posts.

I second not rushing. I second a bigger box when the time comes. I second the beads and packs. I second the Tupperware. Definitly second the digital hygrometer, the analog one that comes with it is usually crap. The only advice I could possibly add would be to find a good spot for your humi. It will take to your room. So, not too hot, not too cold. You can read all about the proper temps in the Asylum but to spare you the 43000 hours of reading and debate, 65 - 70 F should do you well.
I would probably have to keep it in the basement the house usually stays at 72-76. Also,
What exactly is a tupper-dor. I have tupperwear containers but how do I make a "tupper-dor".
[Reply]
Chingas 01:40 AM 07-20-2010
Do nothing really. Just put the cigars in the Tupperware and call it a day. I've added a paper towl wet with distiller water but that may even be overboard. If you have a pack, toss it in the a digital hygrometer and just double check to see all is good.
[Reply]
longknocker 03:55 AM 07-20-2010
I Have 10-15 Cigars in A 6.5 X 9 "Sterilite" Tupperware container I Bought From Walmart. I Put One 65%RH Boveda Pack In There & The RH Stays @ 65 For A Year Or More! It's Basically Air Tight, So The RH Is Maintained.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:34 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I Have 10-15 Cigars in A 6.5 X 9 "Sterilite" Tupperware container I Bought From Walmart. I Put One 65%RH Boveda Pack In There & The RH Stays @ 65 For A Year Or More! It's Basically Air Tight, So The RH Is Maintained.:-)
These containers (Tupperware, Rubbermaid, Sterilite, etc.) make really good travel humidors (depending upon how you are traveling) and also good temporary storage.
[Reply]
CheapHumidors 08:15 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
More advice on the Tupperdor ..... don't rush! :-)

Seriously though, when I got my first humi I rushed things a bit. I saw that nice, pretty humi sitting there on my desk and that, um, "homely" (let's be nice about it) tupperdor sitting beside it. I wanted all my sticks in the wood humi "NOW!". :-) Be patient, let the humi season, then add cigars. Just my :-)

Enjoy that humi, looks like a good deal especially with the ashtray and two-tube case thrown in. :-)
+1

Congrats on the new humi btw!
[Reply]
Eleven 08:45 AM 07-20-2010
My new custom made humidor is still sitting 'seasoning'. I had no idea I could be this patient. Its been 2 weeks.

1 week of distilled water, and now 1 week of beads sitting all alone in there. I am currently waiting on a boveda calibration pack from the above-posted Mr Cheap to check my hygrometers, they are all giving me different readings. Time to know once and for all!
[Reply]
mukky 03:57 PM 07-20-2010
so who wants to take bets on how long before we see a new thread titled, "just picked up a cooler":-):-)
[Reply]
Ogre 05:36 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by mukky:
so who wants to take bets on how long before we see a new thread titled, "just picked up a cooler":-):-)
New pool, 1 month
[Reply]
mukky 06:51 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
New pool, 1 month
wow. I was gonna give him a bit of time to try a few and find some he wants a box of. I give him 3 months, but who knows...he may be a quick learner:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 06:58 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by mukky:
wow. I was gonna give him a bit of time to try a few and find some he wants a box of. I give him 3 months, but who knows...he may be a quick learner:-)
I worked my way up to a Vino in 5 months, LOL. and ordered the drawers 6 weeks ago. So it was really less than 4 months.
[Reply]
Chingas 07:12 PM 07-20-2010
I worked my way up to a Vino in 5 months, LOL. and ordered the drawers 6 weeks ago. So it was really less than 4 months.
I'll split the difference...2 Months.
[Reply]
postjack 07:48 PM 07-20-2010
I ordered an edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision. :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 08:04 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by postjack:
I ordered an Edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision. :-)
Smart...and Handsome...you will go far! :-)

[Reply]
waffle 08:48 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by postjack:
I ordered an edgestar as my first humi because y'all told me too. it was the correct decision. :-)
Of course larry's over on the one month... The slippery slope looks like a cliff he just jumped off :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 08:53 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
Of course larry's over on the one month... The slippery slope looks like a cliff he just jumped off :-)
There was a slope?? I just went in the same direction as the ones in front of me. GO BIG OR GO HOME.:-):-)
[Reply]
Chingas 08:57 PM 07-20-2010
There was a slope?? I just went in the same direction as the ones in front of me. GO BIG OR GO HOME.:-):-)
Love the attitude. You know what's weird? I've been smoking on and off since 93. I join the forum and buy two vinos the next month. What the hell is that all about!!!
[Reply]
waffle 08:59 PM 07-20-2010
Can't say anything, I'm looking at a tower of power :-)
[Reply]
postjack 09:01 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Love the attitude. You know what's weird? I've been smoking on and off since 93. I join the forum and buy two vinos the next month. What the hell is that all about!!!
all the damn good sense around this place, that's what it's about. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up