Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Coolidor testing..
itzfrank 08:38 AM 06-14-2010
Ok. Let me start off by saying that I googled this first and was not very happy with the responses that I found and I'm looking for your personal experiences and how you went about this.

Obviously, I'm here because my 50ct humidor is now too small and I'm beginning to get very interested in purchasing boxes to smoke/age. I'm interested in moving in the direction of coolidor but I've run into a problem. How are you guys testing to see if your coolidor is air tight? I purchases a small cooler and decided to submerge it in the bathtub to see if water could get into it. I assumed this would be the easiest way of going about it and, sure enough, some water seeped into the cooler. Obviously, this means there's a leak some where.

How are you guys testing your coolers? Is there a cooler that you guys recommend using?
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 08:40 AM 06-14-2010
I just did a light test. I tossed in a Mag light and looked for leaks.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:00 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r:
I just did a light test. I tossed in a Mag light and looked for leaks.
:-)
If there are leaks in the seal on a cooler they are pretty easy to fix (silicone sealant or something similar). Just make sure to air out your cooler or maybe wash it out with some baking soda.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:01 AM 06-14-2010
Back when I had coolers, I never did a leak test. I just threw in my cigars, beads, and hygros. If the humidity was steady, I didn't think twice about it.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:02 AM 06-14-2010
Humidors are not supposed to be totally air-tight. If they were, we would never have to recharge humdification.

I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers and just about any Igloo.
[Reply]
T.G 09:12 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Humidors are not supposed to be totally air-tight. If they were, we would never have to recharge humdification.

I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers and just about any Igloo.
Yup. And an airtight cooler is a recipie that's begging for mold and mildew too. A little bit of leakage is not a big deal.

I use the Rubbermaid coolers with the hard "refigerator grade" plastic liners. No odors to worry about. There might be other brands of coolers out there that are good, I don't know, I just happened to settle on these a long time ago when many other coolers would reek of plastic for weeks on end, and these wouldn't. Years later, I still have no complaints about the Rubbermaid coolers.
[Reply]
itzfrank 09:59 AM 06-14-2010
Hmm... maybe I'll just pick up some beads and test it out. I just hate to experiment with goods.
[Reply]
T.G 11:34 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
Hmm... maybe I'll just pick up some beads and test it out. I just hate to experiment with goods.
I've never done anything more to a coolerdor than buy it, wash it out, dry it, stack cigar boxes in it, add a humidifier and close the lid. Never had a problem either.
[Reply]
Brad 04:21 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Back when I had coolers, I never did a leak test. I just threw in my cigars, beads, and hygros. If the humidity was steady, I didn't think twice about it.
Same for me. I have 120 quart Igloo, never tested it. Put my stuff in, and the beads, and it holds just fine at 68%. Opened a couple times a day to.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:45 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I've never done anything more to a coolerdor than buy it, wash it out, dry it, stack cigar boxes in it, add a humidifier and close the lid. Never had a problem either.
:-) Not sure what there is to test. :-) Its a cooler, load it up with smokes and close the lid. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 06:40 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:

I lol'ed at "Back when I had coolers"!
seems like only weeks ago!:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:29 PM 06-14-2010
I am probably going to piss some people off -- and that is not my intent -- when I say that there is a fine line in managing your humidor and your humidor managing you.

As others have said, you certainly don't want to overdo the maintenance of your cigars -- it can suck all the joy out of a wonderful hobby. If your cigars are smoking well, then you probably don't have anything to worry about. However, most people that fall into this category have well established humidors, and they went through the trials and tribulations of getting their humidors seasoned and maintaining the RH they like many years ago. I am not suggesting you ignore their advice or that they are in any wrong. I am suggesting that maybe some of these folks have aged (:-)) and forgotten what they had to go through to get to where they are today :-)

For someone starting off, it can be a little intimidating. Again, don't overdo it, but you do need to get your humidor to a place where it keeps your cigars the way you like them (and the way you like them may evolve as you get into the hobby more).

I think most humidors do not work as well as they could and it takes some effort up front to get them so that they will keep your cigars correctly.

After getting a humidor you need some sort of humidification; beads are generally considered to better than most other forms of humificiation but everyone has an opinion on this. You also need a good hygrometer (expensive is not always better, but most "good" ones are in the neighborhood of $20).

As with most things, the more you spend on quality components (humidor, humidification, hygrometer, etc.) the better off you are. If you want to pay less and use kitty litter, go for it, but you do get what you pay for. I personally cannot understand how you can be willing to spend so much money on cigars and then skimp on the humidification, but that's me.

I do think that most will agree that the cheaper your components the more you will have to fidget and fuss with them to keep your cigars properly.
[Reply]
smitdavi 05:57 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:

I lol'ed at "Back when I had coolers"!
seems like only weeks ago!:-)
Made me laugh too: "Back in the day...." :-) :-)
[Reply]
itzfrank 09:42 AM 06-15-2010
I just want to make sure I go about this properly. I was under the impression that it's best if the humidor has a proper seal and doesn't let out RH. Which is why I did the bath tub test.

I ran this post because I was hoping that people would reply with personal experiences and how they managed it. Just telling me that they never checked it and the RH is fine doesn't tell me if there was a leak to begin with. I don't mind spending the extra money on a larger humidor but if people are having the same manageable experiences with better cost efficiency, I'm all for it.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:02 AM 06-15-2010
Personal experience-3 coolers, 2 Vinotemps. None ever tested for leaks. All using beads for humidification 1/2lb in each cooler(48-54qt) solid at 65% Rh. 28btl Vinotemps, 1lb each 65% beads, all beads by Hearffelt Industries. I have no idea if any leaked in the beginning or now, but leaks are irrelevant, If Rh is constant it implies a good enough seal for cigars. No wooden humidor is airtight, spanish cedar is porous and will absorb(and release) moisture. .
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:08 AM 06-15-2010
I just want to make sure I go about this properly. I was under the impression that it's best if the humidor has a proper seal and doesn't let out RH. Which is why I did the bath tub test.
This is correct!

I ran this post because I was hoping that people would reply with personal experiences and how they managed it. Just telling me that they never checked it and the RH is fine doesn't tell me if there was a leak to begin with. I don't mind spending the extra money on a larger humidor but if people are having the same manageable experiences with better cost efficiency, I'm all for it.
Agreed. That is what I was trying to point out in my last post, which was not clear enough.

The people that are telling you that they never check, never check because everything is working. They are not (yet) telling you want they had to go through "back in the day" to get themselves set up to the point that everything is working great. It may be that some people got their first humidor and it just worked perfectly from the start, but I think that is the exception and not the norm.

I find that my 150 count humidor is much easier to manage and maintain than my original 30 count. My 300 count is eaiser to manage and maintain than my 150 count. All are of the same general quality, but the bigger the humidor the slower problems are to appear, the problems seem to be smaller in magnitude, and any problems seem to be easier to resolve.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 10:08 AM 06-15-2010

I tested mine the same way I would test a humidor.
Drop the lid from half-open. If it falls on a cushion of air without slamming shut, you're good.
If it slams forget it.

No humidor should be air/water tight.
My :-) :-)

*edit* Ok, Ok.... maybe not half open... an inch or so. I thought to myself and half open is just silly */edit*
[Reply]
bobarian 10:29 AM 06-15-2010
One more thing, in Florida your issue will not be with moisture escaping, it will be with moisture getting in. In most cases your ambient humidity will be above 65%, I would keep at least 50% or more of your beads white to absorb excess moisture.
[Reply]
T.G 10:54 AM 06-15-2010
Obsess much, Michael?
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:53 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Obsess much, Michael?
Not at all. That was the point I was trying to make.

People need to spend a little time getting things right at the start and then they can relax and enjoy.

I just don't think that saying "as long as your cigars are smoking fine don't worry about it" is complete enough for a newbie.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up