Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidity Help!!!
Donny007 10:31 AM 07-12-2010
So my desktop was getting crazy hot about 82 deg. The humidity was ok 67-70 so i got a couple of hard ice packs and put one in last night to try and cool it down a little. This morning i check it and temp was 78 and humidity was 55!!! It went wayyy down. So i took out the ice pack to see if it goes back up. What happened????
[Reply]
Ogre 10:35 AM 07-12-2010
as air temp goes down so does the Rh. The cold packs dry up the air when it cools. Thats why any rapid changes to one affects the other. Do you have a cooler place in the house to put your humidor????
[Reply]
Donny007 10:41 AM 07-12-2010
O ok. I dont have any cool place. I am waiting for some xtra funds to get a Vino or Edgestar. Hopefully by the end of the month.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 10:42 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
as air temp goes down so does the Rh. The cold packs dry up the air when it cools. Thats why any rapid changes to one affects the other. Do you have a cooler place in the house to put your humidor????
:-)...even a basement would help regulate the temp a bit so you don't get crazy swings.
[Reply]
waffle 10:44 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa:
:-)...even a basement would help regulate the temp a bit so you don't get crazy swings.
Someone suggested to me recently even sticking them in an empty cooler can help regulate as it tends to stay cooler inside as long as you keep the cooler out of the heat, you make give that a shot if you have one lying around...
[Reply]
Donny007 10:55 AM 07-12-2010
I dont have the basment option. I may try the cooler trick. I just checked a spare garage at work and the temp is 73 2' of the floor. I might bring them there, I am the only one with a key so no big deal!!!
[Reply]
waffle 11:07 AM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by Donny007:
I dont have the basment option. I may try the cooler trick. I just checked a spare garage at work and the temp is 73 2' of the floor. I might bring them there, I am the only one with a key so no big deal!!!
I was running into an issue in my house where even my basement gets to about 78 F because our A/C unit crapped the bed... luckily the RH hasn't gone haywire so I'm ok on that end.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:27 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
Someone suggested to me recently even sticking them in an empty cooler can help regulate as it tends to stay cooler inside as long as you keep the cooler out of the heat, you make give that a shot if you have one lying around...
That's exactly what I use. I have a 150 ct marine cooler that keeps everything very regulated as long as its not exposed to the sun. I keep it behind the couch where the AC unit is and its has been very good to me. :-)
[Reply]
W.B. 01:32 PM 07-12-2010
I would be careful about using the garage. Especially if it's busy. The car exhaust may have ill effects on your stash, especially if the vehicles are diesel. Wish you luck on finding an optimal place for your treasures.
[Reply]
waffle 01:33 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa:
That's exactly what I use. I have a 150 ct marine cooler that keeps everything very regulated as long as its not exposed to the sun. I keep it behind the couch where the AC unit is and its has been very good to me. :-)
Right now, with our AC out, I've actually just stuck my humis in mine and since we store it in the basement anyway, its perfect!
[Reply]
waffle 01:35 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by W.B.:
I would be careful about using the garage. Especially if it's busy. The car exhaust may have ill effects on your stash, especially if the vehicles are diesel. Wish you luck on finding an optimal place for your treasures.
I was thinking he meant like a storage garage since he said it wasn't being used and he has the only key. If thats the case, the back of the garage away from walls and the door (sunlight heats those first) and if it is used for vehicles nearby, I'd be a bit leary as well....
[Reply]
dwoodward 02:24 PM 07-12-2010
Shouldn't the biggest issue of concern be incubating a large cigar beetle population inside your humidor?

Sounds to me like something needs to be done, quickly.
[Reply]
waffle 02:27 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Shouldn't the biggest issue of concern be incubating a large cigar beetle population inside your humidor?

Sounds to me like something needs to be done, quickly.
All the sticks are freezer bound tonite for some much needed r&r, so I'm not overly concerned and I've been checking them daily for any indications.
[Reply]
Donny007 02:43 PM 07-12-2010
The garage is just for storage.

Whats the deal with the freezer. Can i do that. I am new to the hobby!!

Thanks guys
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:45 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by Donny007:
The garage is just for storage.

Whats the deal with the freezer. Can i do that. I am new to the hobby!!

Thanks guys
Check out http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919
[Reply]
waffle 02:50 PM 07-12-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Check out http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919
:-) That's where I got all my info (and my beads :-))
[Reply]
Up