Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Antique cedar wardrobe usage??
muhren 12:50 PM 07-01-2010
I'm contemplating a cabinet style humidor purchase and stopped in at the local antique shop to see if they had anything that could be converted.

They had a cedar wardrobe. I KNOW this is not spanish cedar, but the standard red/aeromatic stuff. HOWEVER, there is absolutely no scent left in the stuff. It appears to have been left open for years.

Reason I'm considering it is that a cabinet Humi on cbid goes for min. $500 (yes, I've been watching them) and this thing was only $275 for about the same storage space.

Question is this. Can that kind of cedar be used in its current state, or once it's re-humidified, will it then have that cedar scent again?

Anyone have experience with this kinda thing, or knowledge of aged wood wanna chime in?

Thanks!

M
[Reply]
awsmith4 12:55 PM 07-01-2010
You would probably be better off paneling over the red cedar with Spanish cedar, I really don't know the answer you are looking for but that is what I would do
[Reply]
shilala 12:57 PM 07-01-2010
I wouldn't do it. Once it's closed up and the humidity gets to it, I'd think the aroma would work out. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.
[Reply]
bvilchez 01:06 PM 07-01-2010
My first question would be is how thick is the inner lining? You could sand it down some depending on the thickness and see if the aroma re-appears. I doubt it will but you can try. Also is the interior lined with cedar or is the entire wardrobe cedar? If it's just lined you could replace the lining with Spanish cedar.

Again the possibility is there....all up to you.
[Reply]
T.G 01:06 PM 07-01-2010
I would be leery of using a smaller cabinet made from aromatic cedar, while you can sort of get away with it for a walk in (there are a lot of them out there that are panneled with RC, even at B&Ms) due to the much greater volume, in a small confined closet/tower in might not be a good idea.

Gunny,

Sanding that RC would almost certainly kick it into high gear for aroma release.
[Reply]
bvilchez 01:08 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:

Gunny,

Sanding that RC would kick it into high gear for aroma release.
I guess you learn something new everyday.
[Reply]
T.G 01:11 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
I guess you learn something new everyday.
At least that's how the RC blocks that I have in my dresser drawers work. Once they stop giving off aroma, I just sand them a bit, and it comes back.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:17 PM 07-01-2010
Watch Cbid longer :-)

Many people, including myself, have gotten them shipped to their door for less than $500. :-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 01:20 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Watch Cbid longer :-)

Many people, including myself, have gotten them shipped to their door for less than $500. :-)
+1....shipped to the door for $445
[Reply]
Jack1000 01:26 PM 07-01-2010
Don't do this. Buy a cooler.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:56 PM 07-01-2010
Cedar has aroma thru it's natural oils. It is common for cedar that has been exposed for a long time to lose aroma. Sometimes it can be revived, othertimes, not. Unless you take steps to revive, you shouldn't have a problem with aroma. However, same action that closes pores in wood that limits odor may also work against you in the desire for moisture retention/stability. See: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Can-Yo...gns&id=2378487
[Reply]
muhren 02:13 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
+1....shipped to the door for $445
Bastards! You must be the ones beating my bids! :-)
[Reply]
e-man67 02:14 PM 07-01-2010
Seal it...I will bet you could use a brush on sealer then put your spanish cedar over the top...I have a cedar closet I am going to convert one of these days.
[Reply]
muhren 02:14 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I would be leery of using a smaller cabinet made from aromatic cedar, while you can sort of get away with it for a walk in (there are a lot of them out there that are panneled with RC, even at B&Ms) due to the much greater volume, in a small confined closet/tower in might not be a good idea.

Gunny,

Sanding that RC would almost certainly kick it into high gear for aroma release.
This is wardrobe size, not really a chest. I hear ya though. Gonna have to sack up and spend the coin I guess!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 02:31 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by muhren:
Bastards! You must be the ones beating my bids! :-)
Got mine 3 years ago, second best deal I got from them, for under $400 to my door. BengalMan got one about a year and a half ago. Patience. :-)
[Reply]
Up