Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beads and airports
stewshi 12:46 AM 06-18-2010
Has anyone ever taken a travel case, as a carry-on, with their beads in it and experienced any issues at security?

Just wondering how it would look in an X-Ray machine since I can easily see TSA deeming them suspicious and cause for a full cavity search.

Ok last part might be a little exagerated or maybe not :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:58 AM 06-18-2010
I have had beads in a tube on carry-on luggage, and never had an issue.
[Reply]
ucubed 01:00 AM 06-18-2010
This is my story about my carry on luggage. I have a pelican case filled with cigars, some in tubes, some not in tubes, and beads. After our road trip with the Tulip Twins, we flew from New York to Las Vegas. My pelican case also had a newly bombed draw tool from volt that was placed in a aluminum RyJ tubo, which basically is an ice pick. I placed my case in a small duffel bag that was my carry on. Flying to Las Vegas I had 0 problems at the security gate. Strangely they said nothing about my draw tool. Flying out of Las Vegas I went to Toronto where the same relatively lax security measures were taken since it was out of Las Vegas. The more surprising thing was flying back into the states from Canada, I still had my cigars and draw tool and they didn't even bother asking or checking what cigars I had, if they were cc or nc. This experience was only last year summer time
[Reply]
skibumdc 04:34 AM 06-18-2010
lol, never thought about it but a tube full of beads on an x-ray must certainly look like an IED Pipe full of ball bearings?

an inspection will clear it all up.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:32 AM 06-18-2010
I fly with Shilala's beads all the time and have never had a problem. I figure one of these days some bright TSA person is going to think that they are filled with cocaine or some other powdery drug of choice...
[Reply]
itzfrank 08:12 AM 06-18-2010
That would probably only be the case if you swallowed it. lol
[Reply]
Big_Ern 05:57 PM 06-18-2010
they made me open up the case and show them what was inside but I think they were more interested in what kind of cigars I had inside. she also asked if I had time to smoke one with her.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 08:01 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Big_Ern:
they made me open up the case and show them what was inside but I think they were more interested in what kind of cigars I had inside. she also asked if I had time to smoke one with her.
player :-)

I use the fuente humi packs for travel humidification - which is usually short trips so works fine.
[Reply]
Big_Ern 08:18 PM 06-18-2010
no no it was nothing like that. my wife was standing right there with her wedding dress in tow. lol :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:28 AM 06-19-2010
I would think TSA would be suspicious of beads. They really don't look like anything "normal".
Personally, I've never, ever used any type of humidification in any of my traveldors. Don't see the need for any time less than a couple weeks.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 09:10 AM 06-19-2010
I travel quite a bit for work, carry beads in a Pelican case as a carry on and checked in, have been asked to open the case before but I explain what it is and I am on my way, no problems what so ever through Miami, Dallas and the Caribbean.
[Reply]
T.G 09:11 AM 06-19-2010
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
I would think TSA would be suspicious of beads. They really don't look like anything "normal".
Personally, I've never, ever used any type of humidification in any of my traveldors. Don't see the need for any time less than a couple weeks.
:-)

I've never used a humidification device in my traveldors either. For long trips, I'll toss an un-hydrated water pillow and it's little hole-punched ziplock baggie, which convieniently has the manufacturer info and directions and crap on it if TSA checks and wonders WTF it is, if they were to choose to confiscate it anyway, BFD, they can have it, I'd be out like, what, 45 cents? If I were to find that I need to humidify my cigars during the trip, I'll just get some bottled water and charge the pillow, then toss the pillow in the trash before I fly back home.
[Reply]
Up