Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Does Anyone Know What This Is???
cubanrob19 02:58 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This looks like a100ct box or cajon. Primarily sent to retailers, it looks much to rough to be a humidor. All of the Cuban humidors I have seen are works of art, with detailed carving and much higher quality woods. Not sure of the actual age but a picture of any markings on the bottom might help. :-)
Interesting!

the only marking on the bottom is the burn stamp that says "Made in Havana Cuba" (picture is shown a in my earlier post).
[Reply]
cubanrob19 03:00 PM 06-15-2010
One thing that I just noticed that intreaged me is that the hinges are silver in color ... most humidors and cigar boxes that I have ever seen (which i cant say are that much, really), are always gold colored or bronze. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 03:04 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by cubanrob19:
One thing that I just noticed that intreaged me is that the hinges are silver in color ... most humidors and cigar boxes that I have ever seen (which i cant say are that much, really), are always gold colored or bronze. :-)
If there's enough wood, it can be turned into a humidor. Granted, that'd cause it to lose any antique collectability value, but it'd make an awful cool humidor.
If it makes you happy, that's what matters. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:19 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by cubanrob19:
Interesting!

the only marking on the bottom is the burn stamp that says "Made in Havana Cuba" (picture is shown a in my earlier post).
Ahh, sorry I missed that pic. That would date it to pre-1960 (http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.htm)
[Reply]
cubanrob19 03:23 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Ahh, sorry I missed that pic. That would date it to pre-1960 (http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/info-packaging.htm)
Awesome ... so at least I know now that its 50+ years old!

thanks for the link, this website is very informative!

Now to see if I can narrow down the year somehow! maybe based on the logo stamp.
[Reply]
OLS 08:37 AM 06-16-2010
Yeah, there is no doubt that it is NOT a humidor, I mean, not from me, anyway,
cause I think it is what I told you that it is, lol. This was a very common way of distributing
cigars before the invention of the walk-in. It IS a humidor in a very technical way, but it is just
a sales case. All that said, you stole it for 30 bucks. RIGHT NOW I would give you $75.

As for spotting more online, once you enter the magic words, you are likely to find more
similar pics posted that might lead to a page that might have several other units either
for sale or for display, i.e. to rub your nose in what they have that you can't have.
You are not likely to see another of those, but there are many similar boxes like it online.
Subtle and not so subtle differences in style and build.
[Reply]
cubanrob19 08:41 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Yeah, there is no doubt that it is NOT a humidor, I mean, not from me, anyway,
cause I think it is what I told you that it is, lol. This was a very common way of distributing
cigars before the invention of the walk-in. It IS a humidor in a very technical way, but it is just
a sales case. All that said, you stole it for 30 bucks. RIGHT NOW I would give you $75.
lol ... not for sale! :-)
[Reply]
OLS 08:56 AM 06-16-2010
Add humidor into the search. It will clutter the results, but also give you better chances
of finding what you are looking for. "pre-embargo" is not a bad thing to add either.
[Reply]
cubanrob19 09:15 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Add humidor into the search. It will clutter the results, but also give you better chances
of finding what you are looking for. "pre-embargo" is not a bad thing to add either.
yea, I've been trying, but to no avail!
[Reply]
Humidor Minister 12:26 PM 06-30-2010
Gotta love the old school stuff. Nice collection guys.
[Reply]
yourchoice 02:25 PM 06-30-2010
That is a very cool find! Thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up