Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Storing a Humidor
XTRazzer 08:20 AM 11-01-2011
I realize this isn't a typical topic for this forum.

What precautions should one take when needing to store a humidor that won't be used for a while?

I plan to remove the beads and hygrometer. Then let the humidor sit out for about a week before wrapping with bubble wrap and packing it in a box.
[Reply]
sevans105 08:23 AM 11-01-2011
An unused Humidor? I'm not sure I've ever heard of the thing! :-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 08:32 AM 11-01-2011
Send it to Cuba, I am out of room...

But seriously, what you are doing sounds great. I left one at home and just emptied it, took out the humidification device and propped the lid open.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:36 AM 11-01-2011
No special care is needed.
However, when it comes time to use it again, you will likely have to re-season it.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
irratebass 08:54 AM 11-01-2011
I was wondering about this as well, for when I get my cooler or upgrade to another humi.
[Reply]
sevans105 09:33 AM 11-01-2011
Actually, I have several NEW ones here that I've picked up over the years. They usually come with a silica pack (like you find in new shoes) in there. The goal for new/stored ones seems to be very low moisture.
[Reply]
shilala 09:40 AM 11-01-2011
I'd do just what you're planning to do.
The only thing I could add is that I'd store it in a conditioned area inside the house, not in the attic or garage or shed or something. If you're going to do that, I'd take care to wrap it up in a couple layers of garbage bags and duct tape it up. That'll keep the wood from overdrying and causing warping and shrinkage problems.
Depending on the humi's construction (material it's made of), it may not matter at all. Being that humis rely on close tolerances for a tight fitting seal, it's always best to protect them from extreme temperatures, dampness and very low humidity. :-)
[Reply]
XTRazzer 12:25 PM 11-01-2011
This is my "grab n go" humidor. The cigars will be transferred to a travel humidor or coolidor.

Yes, it will be stored in the house. I am debating sealing the humidor inside of a large ziplock bag but also concerned about mold. Regardless, I plan to re-season the humidor when I unpack it at a later date.
[Reply]
area51 02:48 PM 11-01-2011
As stated, you will have to re season it but everything you are doing sounds great. Also if you can get a silica pack like someone stated or something else to draw out moisture that would help greatly.
[Reply]
Up