Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 2101112 1314 >
Sports>2015 MLB Thread
icehog3 11:08 PM 06-19-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I wasn't gonna go there, Tom, out of respect for you, but since you did, :-) :-)
No worries, Thomas, just another kick in the nuts from Detroit's .500 season. I'm sure there will be even more painful ones to come. :-)
[Reply]
Tommyboy TbM 01:07 AM 06-20-2015
I have heard that The Party Source, Newport KY will be having a blow out event to coincide with the All Star Game in Cincinnati. I've sent a note to TPS to confirm.
[Reply]
The Poet 05:30 PM 06-20-2015
How stupid does Max Scherzer feel tonight? He put down 26 Pirates in a row, and had Jose Tabata down 2-2, putting him one good pitch away from a perfect game. So what did he do? HE PLUNKED HIM!! The only man on base all day, hit-by-pitch.

:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 08:43 PM 06-20-2015
Mariners demote HoJo to the minor league system, and surprise everyone by naming Edgar Martinez as their new hitting coach. Question is now, how can they possibly ever fire him?

Oh, and Yankees edge Detroit 14-3.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:01 PM 06-20-2015
How stupid does Max Scherzer feel tonight? He put down 26 Pirates in a row, and had Jose Tabata down 2-2, putting him one good pitch away from a perfect game. So what did he do? HE PLUNKED HIM!! The only man on base all day, hit-by-pitch.

:-)
It's really almost comical. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:16 AM 06-21-2015
Yet he threw a no hitter, how many guys can say that?

Could be worse....he could be Milt Pappas, and be bitter about it for 40 years. At least he can't blame anyone but himself.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:29 AM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yet he threw a no hitter, how many guys can say that?

Could be worse....he could be Milt Pappas, and be bitter about it for 40 years. At least he can't blame anyone but himself.
Yeah, Milt's still Froemming at the mouth.
[Reply]
Tommyboy TbM 10:27 AM 06-21-2015
Originally Posted by Tommyboy TbM:
I have heard that The Party Source, Newport KY will be having a blow out event to coincide with the All Star Game in Cincinnati. I've sent a note to TPS to confirm.
I got confirmation that the fest is on hold.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:12 AM 06-21-2015
Returning to this Scherzer thing briefly, many are faulting Tabata for not making enough of an effort to avoid getting hit by that pitch. Yeah, like it's his job to give an opponent a break. Others are blaming the umpires for not calling out Tabata for letting his elbow make contact. Yeah, like it's their job to make calls for the benefit of one team, or one player.

Apparently these critics assess no blame onto Scherzer for throwing a slider a foot inside. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:33 PM 06-21-2015
Like I said, Max has no one to blame but himself. :-)

Tiger toast the Yankees to avoid the sweep and avoid falling below .500. Not much of a season to this point for the Tigers.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:41 PM 06-21-2015
Max himself has taken the high road, so good for him. :-)

And yeah, Tiggers got some payback this afternoon, fer sure. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 03:17 PM 07-01-2015
I got a chuckle outta this.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...artner=ya5nbcs
[Reply]
The Poet 03:42 PM 07-04-2015
Last night the Yankees got their first walk-off win since Derek Jeter's final game when Brian McCann smacked a three-run homer in the bottom of the 12th. Then this afternoon, on the 85th anniversary of George Steinbrenner's birth, the 76th of Lou Gehrig Day, and the 33rd of Dave Righetti's no-hitter against the BoSox, the Yanks notched a second consecutive walk-off win against the Rays . . . on a 9th-inning throwing error by pitcher Brad Boxburger.

Hey, a win is a win, and at least this shows the Bombers do not need to rely only upon the long ball. :-)
[Reply]
Stephen 04:30 PM 07-15-2015
For those who watched all of the All-Star game festivities last night, what were your thoughts on the four, "greatest living players"? Mays/Aaron are obvious, but Koufax/Bench? I can easily think of a dozen guys that should've been there besides them, and that's eliminating the two obvious choices of Bonds/Clemens.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:08 PM 07-15-2015
Billy Williams? Willie McCovey? Dave Winfield? Fergie Jenkins? It's all subjective, I guess.
[Reply]
The Poet 06:32 PM 07-15-2015
Well, Winfield was one of four for the Padres, so who else did they have to choose from? :-)

Me, I have more of a problem with some of the old-timey teams having selections too modern. The Giants with Barry Bonds and Buster Posey? The Red Sox with Pedro Martinez and David Ortiz? Or how about the hometown Reds being basically just one Machine?

Of course, it is a given this is an impossible task . . . especially for my Yankees. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 06:45 PM 07-15-2015
Bucky Dent?
[Reply]
The Poet 06:54 PM 07-15-2015
That's Bucky Fudgin' Dent to you . . . or Adam, anyway. :-)

Nah, serious. Just a casual look at that list showed 8 or 10 guys listed by other teams who played for the Yankees, yet didn't make the cut. And that's not even considering all the other "true" Yankees, from Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra through Donnie, Jeter, and Mo.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:41 PM 07-15-2015
Well, Winfield was one of four for the Padres, so who else did they have to choose from? :-)

Me, I have more of a problem with some of the old-timey teams having selections too modern. The Giants with Barry Bonds and Buster Posey? The Red Sox with Pedro Martinez and David Ortiz? Or how about the hometown Reds being basically just one Machine?

Of course, it is a given this is an impossible task . . . especially for my Yankees. :-)
Bonds is a given as one of the four greatest Giants of all time, seeing as how he's one of the five best players of all time. But Posey making it over Ott or Mathewson? Ridiculous.

I don't think it's unreasonable to include Pedro on the Red Sox list. But over Roger Clemens, Cy Young, or Wade Boggs? Not so much...

And the Yankees got it right.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:48 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Billy Williams? Willie McCovey? Dave Winfield? Fergie Jenkins? It's all subjective, I guess.
Billy Chapel.

[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 2101112 1314 >
Up