Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I feel like I have Humi problems...
Pseudosacred 08:26 PM 02-05-2012
Well, I got myself a nice humidor, just a little 30 count. Not much, but I'm just starting.

I forgot to pick up a hygrometer, but I felt it might be fine.

I got the distilled water, rubbed it down, filled the humidifier with water and then put a damp sponge in.

I let it sit for a little longer than 24 hours.

I checked on it.

So, I opened it up, to see if the sponge was dry (because I was told the cedar absorbs all the water). The sponge was still damp.

Not only was the sponge wet, the wood didn't feel to damp. Also, the inside of the humi was noticably cooler than the room I was in (Is that normal?) My room, I would assume, is around 75-78 degrees.

Anything out of the ordinary, here, with the sponge not being dry? The humi being cooler than my room?

I really want to have my humi ready, so I can fill 'er up!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I figure someone will shed some useful knowledge :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:34 PM 02-05-2012
24 hours is not long enough to season a humidor.

Beads (shilala beads, Hearfelt Industry beads) are infinitely more reliable than water filled humidifiers (hope you used distilled water).

Keeping a humidor at 78* may cause you problems with tobacco beetles. You should be glad it feels cooler than the room.
[Reply]
backwoods357 08:36 PM 02-05-2012
You should really buy a hygrometer, and definitely store them someplace cooler than that room.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 08:36 PM 02-05-2012
Well, I was told that waiting 24 hours and then checking it was ideal. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two now. I did used distilled water.

Okay, cool. I'm glad somethings right!!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:37 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
Well, I was told that waiting 24 hours and then checking it was ideal. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two now. I did used distilled water.

Okay, cool. I'm glad somethings right!!
Yup...next step is a digital hygrometer and some humidity beads. :-)
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 08:40 PM 02-05-2012
I'll pick both up next time I get out to the shop!

So, what's an ideal temperature to keep your humi in?
[Reply]
jluck 09:04 PM 02-05-2012
You can get both from Michael (CigarNut). and save a bunch of money over the local B&M and get them shipped right to your door. salt test the hygrometer too!!!!:-)

Temp- 70 or less
humidity- opinions vary. I'm shooting for 65%
[Reply]
icehog3 09:21 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
You can get both from Michael (CigarNut). and save a bunch of money over the local B&M and get them shipped right to your door. salt test the hygrometer too!!!!:-)

Temp- 70 or less
humidity- opinions vary. I'm shooting for 65%
Likd Jared, I never let me humidor get above 70* F.

Opinions vary on humidity....I opt for about 62%, but 65% seems to be the most common among those who have been doing this a while.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:28 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Likd Jared, I never let me humidor get above 70* F.

Opinions vary on humidity....I opt for about 62%, but 65% seems to be the most common among those who have been doing this a while.
Do you have a wine cooler, or some other temperature controlled humidor like Aristocrat? Being in Phoenix, my house sits at 78 throughout the summer. I was thinking about rotating some ice packs in my cooler until I can afford a wine cooler.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:37 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:

Not only was the sponge wet, the wood didn't feel to damp.
The spanish cedar does absorb some humidity and helps regulate the humidor. If your wood is damp, you have way too much water in there. :-)
[Reply]
jluck 09:42 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Do you have a wine cooler, or some other temperature controlled humidor like Aristocrat? Being in Phoenix, my house sits at 78 throughout the summer. I was thinking about rotating some ice packs in my cooler until I can afford a wine cooler.
Stop giving away LP#9's and you could have that wineador in no time.:-)
[Reply]
Islayphile 09:48 AM 02-06-2012
A hygrometer is a must, preferably a digital that is adjustable.

I like 65/65, some prefer 70/70
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:05 AM 02-06-2012
I feel like I have women problems...
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:07 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
Stop giving away LP#9's and you could have that wineador in no time.:-)
I know :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:00 AM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
I have an Aristocrat, but it is not temperature controlled. I keep it on a lower level of my house, and do not let the temp. in that room exceed 70* in the summer.

Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
The spanish cedar does absorb some humidity and helps regulate the humidor. If your wood is damp, you have way too much water in there. :-)
Absolutely. :-)
[Reply]
Up