Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Nook Vs Kindle
KidRock 07:04 PM 09-17-2010
Hello Asylum,

I recently became a really serious reader in pre revolutionary war history books. I was wondering if any inmates or significant others owned one? I'm on the fence on buying one. Any input would be greatly appericated.

Thanks,

Jon
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:13 PM 09-17-2010
Jon...my wife loved her Kindle before I bought here an Ipad.
[Reply]
KidRock 07:15 PM 09-17-2010
Mac,

Thats intresting. I would love an Imac but life as a graduate student I need something cheap. I like to read a lot.....
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:23 PM 09-17-2010
She still uses her Kindle from time to time..but the backlite on the Ipad doesn't even make it close (IMHO). Great tool for an avid reader though...and not that expensive. :-)
[Reply]
SUOrangeGuy 07:36 PM 09-17-2010
I just bought the kindle wifi and love it. I don't have a nook but I did compare them.

The kindle doesn't have the mini touch screen so its lighter and gets 3X the battery life. The screen is amazing it looks like real paper. I have a couple classmates ordering them because I put some of the references books on it and its so easy to carry around.

I use calibre and sigil to edit epubs and convert them to mobi for the kindle. Both programs are easy and free.

I went with kindle over ipad because I have an iphone 4 and whenever I want to read outside the reflective screen makes it impossible.
[Reply]
Whee 07:38 PM 09-17-2010
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=kindle

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ghlight=kindle
[Reply]
KidRock 07:47 PM 09-17-2010
Thank You Sean
[Reply]
xlc12rf 08:31 PM 09-17-2010
Kindle
[Reply]
Whee 08:32 PM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by KidRock:
Thank You Sean
no problemo.:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 03:51 AM 09-18-2010
Just ordered a kindle for the old lady. Amazon.com has some great deals on them right now.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 09:22 AM 09-18-2010
I've got the first-run kindle and still use it daily. Battery life is awesome. (How's the battery life on that iPad? 4-5 days? :-) )

That said, my gadgetitis forced me to give the nook a good once-over. It's solid, but I couldn't find enough of a cause to switch.

One thing I will say, is the nook allows you to read freely from Barnes & Noble's catalog if you're physically in the store, which is neat if you're hanging around in B&Ns alot.

But between brand loyalty and familiarity I have to vote for the Kindle. It just does exactly what it's supposed to do, the way it's supposed to do it.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 01:17 PM 09-18-2010
Barnes and Noble is having serious business issues right now, I'd be worried about that...
[Reply]
Up