Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>How to ash?
Blak Smyth 11:21 AM 06-21-2011
I have not been smoking cigars very long and I have been searching for an answer, but uable to locate one in the threads.

How to ash?
Is there a proper or correct way to knock off my ash?
I was recently smoking with my neighbor and noticed he knocks his ash off every so often.
I currently smoke it until the ash drops. Is there a correct way to do it?
Is it just preference?

I personally find satisfaction in having a long straight ash with intersting burn lines, much like the rings of a tree.

help me out tabacovores!

This was my most enjoyable ash to date. It was a Diesel.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 11:30 AM 06-21-2011
i dont think there is a preference i usually keep mine till it looks like its going to fall in my lap and knock it off into the ashtray....
[Reply]
Vith 11:30 AM 06-21-2011
From what I've read, it's better to have a long piece of ash because it keeps the temperature lower, resulting in non-bitterness. I just keep the ash until it falls of by itself but I've read that if you want to remove it you should roll the cigar carefully on the edge of a ashtray.
[Reply]
Acesfull 11:56 AM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
i dont think there is a preference i usually keep mine till it looks like its going to fall in my lap and knock it off into the ashtray....
Thats what I do.. unless I am smoking in my truck... then I ash more frequently in case I hit a *bump*
[Reply]
audio1der 12:06 PM 06-21-2011
If I'm afraid it's going to fall on me I give it a reasonable tap. If it falls, great. If it stays, so be it. If it falls shortly after I try to ash it I punch it in the face and go smoke it's mother.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 12:11 PM 06-21-2011
3/4 to 1 inch is prime ashing territory. Also if you set the cigar down for a couple of minutes, long enough for the cherry to cool, but not long enough for it to go out, go ahead and take a couple of puffs and then ash, because it's going to fall of soon anyway, and it's usually on your shirt.
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:22 PM 06-21-2011
I don't think it matters much, so I don't worry about it.
[Reply]
dannyboy 12:45 PM 06-21-2011
As has been stated, the ash acts insulation preventing the cherry from getting very hot and the smoke turning bitter. It is wise to leave the ash on for a while. I used to let it stay on until it fell off naturally, but after too much ash on my shirt and in my lap/drink/etc I have found that I ash just before it will fall on its own. This is at a different point from cigar to cigar, so no general rule like 1" ash works. Sometimes it is 1", others at a half inch, others at 2". Construction of the smoke and smoking conditions like wind all play a factor in determining when is the right time to ash. As with everything - experiment and see what you like best :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 01:46 PM 06-21-2011
I try not to ash. That way I can re-band them and send them to RevSmoke. :-)
[Reply]
loki 01:50 PM 06-21-2011
depends on where i am:
if i'm on my deck i'll let it fall off when and where it wants.
at the shop, i'll let it go till i start getting nervous
if i'm at someones house, i'm very careful not to ash on the couch/floor...what have you. unless we're outside and the host tells me not to worry bout where it falls
[Reply]
kneedragger 09:55 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by audio1der:
If I'm afraid it's going to fall on me I give it a reasonable tap. If it falls, great. If it stays, so be it. If it falls shortly after I try to ash it I punch it in the face and go smoke it's mother.
:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:59 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I don't think it matters much, so I don't worry about it.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:12 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
:-) I smoke in my house so I ash quite often so I dont drop on the floor or in my lap. Sometimes when herfing I'll let it go for a couple of inches, but I have never noticed a difference in taste either way. :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 10:51 PM 06-21-2011
I generally let it fall on my beer belly whenever it feels it has matured enough to leave its home. Ashtrays are wasted on me
[Reply]
big a 07:01 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
depends on where i am:
if i'm on my deck i'll let it fall off when and where it wants.
at the shop, i'll let it go till i start getting nervous
if i'm at someones house, i'm very careful not to ash on the couch/floor...what have you. unless we're outside and the host tells me not to worry bout where it falls
:-) All depends where I am.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:03 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
I try not to ash. That way I can re-band them and send them to RevSmoke. :-)
[Reply]
roro16 09:10 AM 06-22-2011
I typically let it fall off itself..i find the more I try to keep it from falling causes it to fall when i least expect it.
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:33 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
[Reply]
nofeardiver 12:43 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by audio1der:
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:21 PM 06-22-2011
One thing to consider is that sometimes after you ash, the smoke warms up and the cigar dosent taste as good. When I am getting down to the home stretch I like to make sure that I ash at the right time so that some ash can build up and let the cigar end on a high note.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up