Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Van heater not warming up-any auto mech types?
forgop 03:46 PM 11-14-2011
I now have heat. I'm guessing my coolant level was quite low. I flushed the system and refilled and it's working now. I guess the thing to watch for is to see if I have a discernible leak in the system somewhere.
[Reply]
cobra03 08:52 PM 11-14-2011
Glad to see its back on track. Hopefully no major leaks.
[Reply]
kingcobradude 09:42 PM 11-14-2011
If it does go bad, a good cigar would warm it up a little
[Reply]
shark 03:54 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
I now have heat. I'm guessing my coolant level was quite low. I flushed the system and refilled and it's working now. I guess the thing to watch for is to see if I have a discernible leak in the system somewhere.

Hopefully no internal leaks. Those can be a PITA to track down.
[Reply]
hammondc 06:28 AM 11-15-2011
Did you get some of the UV coolant dye? I have used that before to find leaks.
[Reply]
thebayratt 07:43 PM 11-16-2011
Check the passneger side floorboard. Heatercores are usually in the dash above the floor. If they leak, there will be water on the floor.

Ask me how I know, lol!
[Reply]
deadrise 08:03 PM 11-16-2011
yea I would be scared at this point you just put a thermo in this summer and now low enough on water to produce no heat there is a leak somewhere lets just hope its not the heads
[Reply]
forgop 08:27 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
Check the passneger side floorboard. Heatercores are usually in the dash above the floor. If they leak, there will be water on the floor.

Ask me how I know, lol!
There's never been any water leaks inside the van and I've never seen anything underneath the van other than from the A/C running in the summer.
[Reply]
forgop 08:29 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by deadrise:
yea I would be scared at this point you just put a thermo in this summer and now low enough on water to produce no heat there is a leak somewhere lets just hope its not the heads
La la la la la....I can't hear you. :-)

It's a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8L in it...
[Reply]
T.G 08:58 PM 11-16-2011
There's never been any water leaks inside the van and I've never seen anything underneath the van other than from the A/C running in the summer.
That means you either messed up big time with the levels when you refilled the system after changing the thermostat, or, you have a slow leak.

If it's the former, shyt happens. Live and learn, happens to all of us at some point.

If it's the latter, a jug of Bar's Stop Leak works wonders. If you really need a miracle, CRC Copper Weld is divination in a bottle.
[Reply]
forgop 10:10 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
That means you either messed up big time with the levels when you refilled the system after changing the thermostat, or, you have a slow leak.

If it's the former, shyt happens. Live and learn, happens to all of us at some point.

If it's the latter, a jug of Bar's Stop Leak works wonders. If you really need a miracle, CRC Copper Weld is divination in a bottle.
I've read some reviews that the stop leak type of products out there can also do a lot of harm, so I'm skeptical of using it. That said, I know my wife did get it pretty damn hot over the summer before I got the thermostat. Don't know if it got hot enough to do damage, but I'm not ruling that out by any means.

May put some dye in it and see if that can help me figure out of it's going anywhere. It has ~ $100k miles on it and this thing is gonna be driven until the wheels fall off of it hopefully w/out having to replace an engine or tranny.
[Reply]
T.G 10:43 PM 11-16-2011
I've read some reviews that the stop leak type of products out there can also do a lot of harm, so I'm skeptical of using it. That said, I know my wife did get it pretty damn hot over the summer before I got the thermostat. Don't know if it got hot enough to do damage, but I'm not ruling that out by any means.

May put some dye in it and see if that can help me figure out of it's going anywhere. It has ~ $100k miles on it and this thing is gonna be driven until the wheels fall off of it hopefully w/out having to replace an engine or tranny.
Whatever you say man. I bow down to you your google-foo.
[Reply]
forgop 10:49 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Whatever you say man. I bow down to you your google-foo.
Not disputing what you say, but it just made me unsure of actually using it without getting something other than anonymous opinions.

My guess is that's it's probably similar to what you use in the tire repair in a can stuff. You may seal a leak, but I believe you'll completely void your tire warranty if you do it. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:06 PM 11-16-2011
Not even close Duane.

Totally different principles, plus, fix-a-flat doesn't void your warranty. Installing a plug might because in the process of installing a plug, you bend the belt wires in and make the tire unpatchable, but a can of F-A-F doesn't. It's just foamy crap that the tire shop wipes out of the tire with a rag when they go to fix the problem.

Now, tell me what warranty you are trying to protect on a vehicle with 100K + miles? And this after you opened the cooling system and voided it by replacing a thermostat yourself?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up