Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Flor de Oliva Robusto - Why'd I wait so long!
mrreindeer 09:20 AM 08-03-2009
I finally got around to trying this sucker that I received from doubledown on the newb PIF over on the other site when I first got started up back in September last year.

Why'd I wait so damn long!

I'm putting this in the general cigar discussion because I don't know if this quick little blurb qualifies as a review but I thought I'd share anyway. And ask some ?'s.

This cigar was sweet on the lips in prelight, lit up well and smoked even all the way through. The thing retained its sweetness on the lips almost all the way through and the taste, well, it was pretty damn delicious & consistent all the way through. And not sweet in smoking it...just on the lips. Do you folks get the same with this one as I did? I also noticed a bit of a punch at the end...do they have a tendency to give you a nicotine smack or am I just crazy? (don't answer that)

And under $1.50/a stick? Are you kidding me???

So what's the deal with this cigar...I'm trying to find some info but not really coming up with any....is this Oliva's red-headed stepchild? Why isn't information on this cigar on their website? Everywhere else claims that this is the product of the Oliva family but then it's not on their website. What's the deal?
[Reply]
beamish 09:22 AM 08-03-2009
cant beat them for the price but i prefer the maduro
[Reply]
Blindjimme 09:28 AM 08-03-2009
Hey David,

Yeah, it's the Oliva's budget line. The one you got there is the Natural, it's an Equadorian Sumatra wrapper with a sweet cap. The Robusto is the best size on these. Tasty for cheap.
[Reply]
Mark 09:39 AM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by beamish:
cant beat them for the price but i prefer the maduro
:-)

Can't beat them, especially at two bucks a stick! Tanith got me hooked on the maduros. Great cigar! :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:42 AM 08-03-2009
I got bombed with a churchill in a corojo wrapper. I can't wait to try it. :-)
[Reply]
mrreindeer 09:44 AM 08-03-2009
gonna have to try the maddie, thx for the tip!
[Reply]
bowhnter 09:50 AM 08-03-2009
Shhhh! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:17 AM 08-03-2009
Just pulled the trigger on a 5er of the maddies. I have been hearing so much about these sticks...thanks for the thread, it pushed me over the edge.
[Reply]
rizzle 01:13 PM 08-03-2009
I had one that someone had gifted me and the wrapper blew up so bad I couldn't smoke it. Many people like them though.
[Reply]
Steve 01:17 PM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I had one that someone had gifted me and the wrapper blew up so bad I couldn't smoke it. Many people like them though.
They can be hit or miss sometimes. I have had trouble with the maddies in particular being very fragile. But that is what can be expected from a "bargain" line I guess. All in all, I usually keep a bundle iin the humi for an everyday smoke. I also don't mind putting one down if I run out of time for some reason, hey, they're like 2.00 right.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 01:37 PM 08-03-2009
I smoked one of the naturals and the wrapper was sweet, but the cigar seemed kind of mild to me. I forgot about the Maduro's.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:23 PM 08-03-2009
David:

Are these Flor de Oliva's still for sale? If so, kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save cost...

Actually, what I came in here to say is that I had an opportunity to smoke one in the BTT PIF thread a couple months ago. As you could tell from the review, I was a little put-off by the sweetened tip, the rest of the cigar was just okay. Definitely not bad for the price, but I probably won't search them out.

Glad you liked it, though!
[Reply]
dannysguitar 12:51 AM 08-09-2009
The Sumatra is the only sweetened cap no?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 07:00 AM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
David:

Are these Flor de Oliva's still for sale? If so, kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save cost...

:-) I will send you my name, address, phone number, social security number, 5 credit card numbers and expect a cashier's check from you that will bounce in about 2 weeks after I've already given your 'shipper' the items.

Originally Posted by dannysguitar:
The Sumatra is the only sweetened cap no?
Mike mentioned that it was the natural that had the sweetened cap.
[Reply]
REALMCCOY 08:19 PM 05-17-2010
I figured a resurrected thread would be best for some questions about this particular cigar line. I am almost finished with the first bundle of these I have yet to try, the Sumatra blend. I was curious if any one else experienced any wrapper problems with them or noticed how delicate the caps can be. I have tried wetting the cap before cutting, punching the head, just carefully cutting the wrapper and leaving the filler intact, all with mixed results. I understand that these are "budget smokes" and also that wrapper appears to be particularly thin. I can live with that cuz I enjoy them for what they are. Should I consider storing them a little more humidified? I store them in a cabinet box I made from left over spanish cedar in a larger humidor that keeps 65% average humidity with beads and all the other cigars in this humidor, as well as these burn great. Are the corojo wrappers just as susceptible to cracking? I have only had a few that I had to pitch because they were unsmokable. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. I am not in the least bit unhappy:-),just curious what others have to say.
[Reply]
sikk50 12:20 AM 05-18-2010
You can try storing them at higher rh but you'll start getting burn problems. It's just a supper thin wrapper. If youre carful with them and don't mind the occasional cracking they're a no brainer in my opion
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:52 AM 05-18-2010
Originally Posted by steve:
They can be hit or miss sometimes. I have had trouble with the maddies in particular being very fragile. But that is what can be expected from a "bargain" line I guess. All in all, I usually keep a bundle iin the humi for an everyday smoke. I also don't mind putting one down if I run out of time for some reason, hey, they're like 2.00 right.
Fragile maduros? The doesn't even make sense. Are you talking the wrappers?
[Reply]
Huskysibe 07:25 AM 05-18-2010
Sometimes I experience a cap issue but for the most part if you are careful they hold up well, and for the cost, you cant beat em!
[Reply]
Dunkel 07:43 AM 05-18-2010
I need to try the maduros.
[Reply]
Steve 08:01 AM 05-18-2010
Like I said in an earlier post, these are nice, inexpensive smokes; but I have had quality issues with them intermittently. They are hit or miss, but for the price, not too bad in my opinion.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up