Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Oliva Nub Cains
RevSmoke 07:28 AM 05-27-2010
Whassupwidat?

Yeah, just read about it. Seems with the popularity of both the Nub and the Cain lines, they now have a Nub Cain. It isn't April 1, so this is no April Fool's joke. Here's the link to where I found out at Tex Cigars.

http://www.texcigars.com/

Personally, I didn't know that the Nub line took off so greatly. And while I have seen many who like the Cain, I didn't see this one coming.

Is it just me, or do certain companies market new cigars just so that they can ride the crest of the wave? What I mean is this. When they come out with a new line, that line sells like gang-busters for a while... as the sales fade, they bring out a new line which repeats that process... And, while the new line sells, there are also some mini-ripples of sales in their other brands/lines.

Here's the write-up over at Cigar.com.

Combining two of Sam Leccia's best blending concepts, Cain Nub features the exciting, full-bodied Cain blend in a special line of Nub sizes, creating one of the richest, full-bodied and well-balanced cigars on the market.

The Oliva family, in conjunction with Sam Leccia, developed the ever-popular Nub brand based on sizes created to capture what they call the "essence" of the blend. After months of blending, they realized each cigar offers a "sweet spot" where the cigar's flavor and body come together in perfect balance, and they were able to create the Nub brand, which incorporates this "sweet spot" throughout the entire course of the smoke. Sam Leccia went on to develop Cain, using a special blend of "straight-ligero" tobaccos to create a well-balanced yet completely spicy, full-bodied and full-tilt cigar. Sam and the Oliva family have now combined these two winning concepts together, creating the ultimate cigar experience.

Cain Nub comes wrapped in your choice of Habano or maduro leaves and each feature 100% Nicaraguan straight-ligero long leaves as filler. A zesty Nicaraguan binder completes the blend as it comes produced in Nub's most popular and requested sizes. The result is a full-bodied, complex cigar that maintains a smooth character from the start. The blend builds in strength from head to foot without ever become overwhelming. Like Nub, Cain Nub sizes although short, will burn for at least an hour or more so enjoy these beauties slowly; take your time with them and allow the tobaccos to combust together for an excellent, full-flavored experience.

Oy vey!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
itzfrank 08:13 AM 05-27-2010
I'm not familiar with the cigar but most successful companies do this in some way or another.

A perfect example of this is a clothing store. From time to time stores change around their floor plan so that it gives them a fresh look. The reason this helps is because, to the consumer, it appears that the store has gotten new inventory. When in reality, it's all the same stuff in different locations.

New marketing brings new business.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:23 AM 05-27-2010
I'm not sure if it's a marketing gimmick so much as just a development of the line. It's only a couple years old, so they're still coming out with new ideas. I've not had the chance to try a Cain F Nub yet, but from what I've read it's the best of both the Nub and Cain world. Yes, I'm biased because I love both lines, but I never viewed this as a marketing ploy so much as the evolution of the Cain/Nub lines :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:38 AM 05-27-2010
I don't have any interest in these. I prefer the regular Cain Habano to the F.

I did win a Cain F Nub at a raffle a couple weeks ago, so I will give the nub a shot.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:11 AM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by itzfrank:
I'm not familiar with the cigar but most successful companies do this in some way or another.

A perfect example of this is a clothing store. From time to time stores change around their floor plan so that it gives them a fresh look. The reason this helps is because, to the consumer, it appears that the store has gotten new inventory. When in reality, it's all the same stuff in different locations.

New marketing brings new business.
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I'm not sure if it's a marketing gimmick so much as just a development of the line. It's only a couple years old, so they're still coming out with new ideas. I've not had the chance to try a Cain F Nub yet, but from what I've read it's the best of both the Nub and Cain world. Yes, I'm biased because I love both lines, but I never viewed this as a marketing ploy so much as the evolution of the Cain/Nub lines :-)
While I was in an offhand way hinting that Oliva/Nub/Cain were doing this, my point was more toward most of the brands that are marketing new stuff all the time - Gurkha comes to mind as one that has a gazillion & one new blends.

Anyway, just a thought.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:17 AM 05-27-2010
Oh no, absolutely. You definitely see the companies like Gurkha that are always coming out with a new cigar whether or not it's really any different, as opposed to the ones who have a line of cigars and for the most part stick to those.
[Reply]
Apoco 02:45 PM 05-29-2010
I am really looking forward to trying one of these. Gotta keep my eyes peeled!
[Reply]
sikk50 03:12 PM 05-29-2010
I thought they were discontinuing the Cains? Last ditch effort maybe? Naybe my info was wrong?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:27 PM 05-29-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
I thought they were discontinuing the Cains? Last ditch effort maybe? Naybe my info was wrong?
The Cain's are very successful. I don't care for them but they sell very well.

Making a Cain into a NUB is just masturbation, imo. That has to be the most selling cigar based on nothing but bs, ever.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:36 PM 05-29-2010
I'd like to try the Cain Nub.
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 04:43 PM 05-29-2010
I will give it a shot if it shows up at my local shop or if I can hunt down a decent deal for a 5 pack on the net.
I've been interested in trying both the Cain and the Nub.
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 04:49 PM 05-29-2010
I'll give one of these a try if I find one at my local shop for a decent price or if I can get a 5 pack from the net.
I've been interested in trying to Cain and the Nub.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:53 PM 05-29-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Whassupwidat?

so this is no April Fool's joke. .
Just a joke. :-)
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
That has to be the most selling cigar based on nothing but bs, ever.
:-)
[Reply]
leafandale 08:44 PM 05-30-2010
Originally Posted by Apoco:
I am really looking forward to trying one of these. Gotta keep my eyes peeled!
Sam and the Cain F Tour will be at my store in Knoxville this Tuesday from 4-8pm. Come on up and join us!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:13 PM 05-30-2010
I have an interest in these. I haven't had the Cain F, but from what I can tell many regard it as the best of the Cain line. NUBs were fairly popular when they came out, and now have decreased in popularity, however I think they aim to take both Cain smokers and NUB smokers in one vitola. While I think it is intriguing, it makes me wonder if Sam Leccia will do this with every new line he puts out. I think it is good Oliva themselves haven't jumped into the mix with Oliva V, O, or G Nubs and I hope they never do that.
[Reply]
Up