Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>La Riqueza Q&A
RevSmoke 03:19 PM 05-25-2010
I posted a similar question on another LR thread, the $99 one, but nobody answered.

Am curious about this one. I have had a LaRiqueza, but it has been a while ago and has faded from my memory.

1) I know these are some Pete Johnson sticks, put together by Pepin. Compare them to other cigars - what are they like?

2) I know what I could pay for a box of the #4s, but what would most consider a good price for these? (yes, I saw them for $99, but I know that isn't normal, nor a normal special price)

3) I know that many jumpt on this deal, but are there any La Riqueza detractors out there, and why don't you like them?

Thanks.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
md4958 03:21 PM 05-25-2010
Todd,I really loved these when they first came out, in fact I put together a GB on the #4s. I still have so many I havent purchased any since, but I have heard that they changed the blends and arent what they used to be.

I cant say for sure about present stock, but they WERE great.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:01 PM 05-25-2010
Todd...I have smoked a few and just didn't really get into them. They weren't bad sticks, just nothing I would enjoy on a regular basis. IMHO I thought these were overpriced. Flavor was ok, pretty one dimensional. :-)
[Reply]
danreeve 08:35 PM 05-25-2010
La Riqueza petit robo is in my top 5 cigars. It's my go to stick if I am short on time.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 09:25 PM 05-25-2010
I enjoy the La Riquezas, but the only critique of them that I have is that they have to be smoked slowly. Not that I smoke my cigars particularly fast. I didn't bite at the $99 deal, because I don't think that they are the best thing that Pete Johnson makes and I'd rather spend money on some of his other cigars.
[Reply]
3SmokesaRound 09:46 PM 05-25-2010
I bit on the Blue Moon special needing another shorter stick for walks with the wife and kids. I smoked one ROTT and enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how they change with a little time.
[Reply]
stearns 05:23 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
Todd,I really loved these when they first came out, in fact I put together a GB on the #4s. I still have so many I havent purchased any since, but I have heard that they changed the blends and arent what they used to be.

i feel 100% the same (besides putting together a GB). the first run were amazing, but for whatever reason i havent gotten around to trying any more. picked up a box of the churchills at an event, supposedly event only, but havent tried them yet, and dont really plan on cracking the box an time soon

stearns
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:29 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:

Originally Posted by stearns:
i feel 100% the same (besides putting together a GB). the first run were amazing, but for whatever reason i havent gotten around to trying any more. picked up a box of the churchills at an event, supposedly event only, but havent tried them yet, and dont really plan on cracking the box an time soon

stearns
Both of you really liked them when they first came out, but you haven't had any of the recent stock. Where did you get the information that they may have changed the blend?

OK, so who has tried the new blends?
[Reply]
md4958 06:17 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Where did you get the information that they may have changed the blend?
Here, or ICC maybe... I dont remember for sure, but I do remember it was a couple different instances.
[Reply]
357 06:45 AM 05-26-2010
IMO, go with the smaller LRs. I have had a few of the difference vitolas and the robusto size seemed to be the most flavorful. I have enjoyed a few of them. I say this because the last one I had was a churchill size. I was not impressed and ended up ditching it about half way. It was bland and I had to work for any smoke I got out of it. Not that the draw was too tight, just very low volume of smoke.

I do enjoy other Pepin/PJ stuff. It has been while and the LRs are not one of my regulars so I can't offer my opinion of their flavor profile.
[Reply]
axi 08:30 PM 05-27-2010
I like the LR line. Not my favorite by PJ, but they're still very good. I particularly enjoy a few vitolas in the cabinet selection. I was turned on to the cabinet selection by this great cigar manager. He offered me a LR Cabinet no. 5 and I never looked back. It's by far my favorite in the entire LR line.Tons of flavor packed into such a little package.

I drank the kool aid and bought the petit robustos during the sale. I smoked one and have to say that I expected a little more power than I got. It was a great medium bodied smoke with a lot of rich cocoa, nut, and (light) spice flavors (not nearly as powerful as pete's havana line). For the price, well worth it. Would I buy it at its regular price? No. At that price point, too many other cigars cut ahead of it.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:27 PM 05-27-2010
Thank you all for your comments. I saw the sale and wondered if maybe they were priced above their value. It seems it is like any other smoke. Some love 'em, others don't.

I have some favorites that don't seem to get the love I think they deserve, but that's OK, more for me! :-)
[Reply]
Up