Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Drink pairing = Artificial flavor?
wayner123 01:12 PM 05-19-2010
Reading over the forum and various other places this topic has not really been discussed. Maybe it's because it's a common sense understanding. Or maybe I am just over analytical.

Reading threads like "Favorite drink for smoking stogies with?", "Cigar Drink Pairing Advice", etc. I began to realize just how many people drink various beverages with their cigars. This got me thinking of how often we see reviews, comments and advice given on what is a cigar(s) flavor. And then maybe how many of these "flavors" are influenced by that person's choice of accompanying drink.

It's not really a major concern, but it does intrigue me. If someone was pairing their cigar with a coffee and thinks the cigar is great, they might find that when paired with a coke, it's not so great or vice versa. Does that reflect then on the cigar or the drink chosen? And what effect does pairing have on strength or fullness of flavor? Would that same cigar taste better/worse if not paired with a drink at all or simply water? If so, does it truly reflect the cigars flavor for recommendation or review?

I hope this provides good discussion. If not, just simply smoke what you like and like what you smoke is always a good motto. :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:23 PM 05-19-2010
I've noticed VERY different flavors depending on what I pair my cigars with. If it's the first time I'm trying a certain cigar, I usually stick with water. I try to get a true sense of what the flavors are in the cigar and then pair it with a drink for the next time I smoke.

I've noticed if I'm pairing with an alcohol, especially a strong alcohol, it will make my palate a little more sensitive to certain flavors and even mute others. I'll admit, I've had some misses...COMPLETE misses, but every once and a while I hit a combo that just really works for me.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 01:41 PM 05-19-2010
I'm with Jim in the fact that when I'm trying a new cigar I don't like to overpower it with anything else. Having said that, I tried a new cigar the other day and had a bourbon and coke with it...and while it didn't ruin the cigar or make me enjoy it less, I could tell that coffee would've gone WAY better with that cigar and I'll adjust my pairing next time I smoke one of those.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 01:57 PM 05-19-2010
A drink can certainly effect the taste of a cigar. I love a cigar with coffee but rarely drink anything but water when I'm trying to just taste the cigar. I learned some early lessons about buying a box off of one cigar I tried with a terrific cup of coffee.
[Reply]
issues 02:11 PM 05-19-2010
I always try a cigar dry or with water before pairing it.

If a cigar has a nice coffee flavor, I will pair it with something like kahlua and milk (can't do coffee) and cigars with a strong cocoa flavor I pair with something like a Dr. Pepper and so on and so forth.

Dr. Pepper seems to go well with a lot of different cigar flavors IMO. :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 02:22 PM 05-19-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
I'm with Jim in the fact that when I'm trying a new cigar I don't like to overpower it with anything else. Having said that, I tried a new cigar the other day and had a bourbon and coke with it...and while it didn't ruin the cigar or make me enjoy it less, I could tell that coffee would've gone WAY better with that cigar and I'll adjust my pairing next time I smoke one of those.
I've definitley been there...especially with Fuentes. I found that because most of them are so sweet and creamy that they get overpowered by ANY type of alcohol...they are a "coffee only" smoke for me.
[Reply]
tsolomon 02:28 PM 05-19-2010
The question I have is when do you ever have a clean palate to start your tasting from? Your mouth will just about always have some lingering taste from the last thing you ate, smoked or drank. I find that a drink can be a nice palate cleanser similar to having a little sorbet between courses at a nice restaurant. Just like pairing wine with food, the trick is to find a good match between your beverage and the cigar which will enhanced the flavors of the cigar. I start with water when doing a review or smoking a cigar for the first time, but switching to ice tea, coffee or a nice rum later on works well for me. :-)
[Reply]
DocLogic77 02:30 PM 05-19-2010
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
The question I have is when do you ever have a clean palate to start your tasting from? Your mouth will just about always have some lingering taste from the last thing you ate, smoked or drank. I find that a drink can be a nice palate cleanser similar to having a little sorbet between courses at a nice restaurant. Just like pairing wine with food, the trick is to find a good match between your beverage and the cigar which will enhanced the flavors of the cigar. I start with water when doing a review or smoking a cigar for the first time, but switching to ice tea, coffee or a nice rum later on works well for me. :-)
Never really thought about it but maybe a tongue scrapper would help out.
[Reply]
wayner123 02:35 PM 05-19-2010
The question I have is when do you ever have a clean palate to start your tasting from?
Pretty much every time I smoke. I try to always have a clean palette when smoking a cigar. I do this by gargling, using sparkling water or club soda. But that's just me, I personally like the way a cigar tastes by itself.

To those who have said the first time they smoke a cigar it's with water or nothing, do you then recommend a person to that same cigar(s) based off the initial tasting? Or is the recommendation from more than that one cigar?
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 02:40 PM 05-19-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
To those who have said the first time they smoke a cigar it's with water or nothing, do you then recommend a person to that same cigar(s) based off the initial tasting? Or is the recommendation from more than that one cigar?
I actually tend to recommend cigars based on what I found them paired well with...but that's just my preference. I usually try to find cigars that would complement Scotch and coffee mainly, but if I've had a couple of successful smokes from a cigar regardless if it's paired with something or not, I'll recommend something on that too.
[Reply]
wolfandwhisky 02:49 PM 05-19-2010
Very accurate. This is definitely a determining factor for what type of cigar I may be in the mood for at any given moment. For example, if you have a sweeter lunch - like say Thai food - you may not want an overly peppery or salty cigar, but rather a maduro or rosado.
[Reply]
76GTFan 02:52 PM 05-19-2010
The fact is, I tend to enjoy smoking cigars, whatever the level of my approval, with a coffee or whisky/ey. I smoked a great cigar in the shop the other day, and all I could think was I shoulda waited to pair it with a coffee or bourbon. Preference I guess, but my opinion on a cigar is all based on my enjoyment of it. I tend to feel I have wasted a smoking opportunity w/out pairing it with my favored beverage.

Got kind of sidetracked, but my point is I am pretty narrow with my drink pairing, no matter what the cigar. Some smoked almonds to go along never hurts.:-)
[Reply]
stearns 03:12 PM 05-19-2010
i've been told by people far more experienced than me that drinking peligrino is their favorite way to fully taste a cigar, somewhat of a palate cleanser in every sip. personally, i like thinking of cigars and their accompaniment as one smoking experience, hence why i always mention the drink of choice in reviews. if i want the pure cigar flavor (like if im doing a blind taste test), i stick to good old agua, but there are certain sticks i know go well with certain beverages, and i know full well that the drink changes my experience with the cigar. sometimes i want a PAM with a coffee, other times with a fine rum. enjoy both, but get a different taste out of the two situations. of course, this is just my worthless opinion

stearns
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:28 PM 05-19-2010
I don't think drinks artificially flavor cigars, for the most part. I think the drink brings out the flavor that is already there and can simply amplify it.

:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:00 PM 05-19-2010
I think that it must effect the cigar or one's perception of the cigar somehow. I don't pay much attention to matching a cigar to a beverage. Most of my cigars are smoked with just tap water.

I guess in a way I do pick a pairing. If I have the cigar ready and then pick a beverage, I know "in my head" what that cigar is and vice versa.
[Reply]
jimmyk26 05:14 PM 05-19-2010
I would actually go one step further and say that pairing and palate condition are two different things. Pairing is the act of tasting something else, food or beverage, while smoking a cigar. Palate Condition is the state of your palate before you start smoking. Both pairing and palate condition affect how you experience a cigar but they are different. Specifically, palate condition can affect what cigar you choose and how you experience the flavors and smoke, but it won't augment or change the flavors while you are actually smoking. Where as pairing will have an affect on flavor while you are smoking the cigar.

On a personal note, I honestly haven't had much success pairing much of anything with cigars aside from the occasional coffee or port. As a result, I drink water mostly when smoking.
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 06:10 PM 05-19-2010
Typically, I drink coffee when I smoke.

However, if I know I'm about to get into a very mild and/or vintage cigar, I much prefer to pair it with filtered ice water.

However, it's only at a herf or after a third cigar in a day that I'll break my rules, and go with something between cigars that is likely to clear out my palate (like ginger ale or sprite)

I always have a very very very hard time smoking dry. I need something to give me a quick 'refresh'
[Reply]
wayner123 06:27 AM 05-20-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I don't think drinks artificially flavor cigars, for the most part. I think the drink brings out the flavor that is already there and can simply amplify it.

:-)
So in your opinion, drinking a milkshake with a cigar is the same as drinking a scotch with a cigar? The flavor of the cigar will stay the same?
[Reply]
Up