Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Need a pronunciation key
Blueface 11:20 AM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
:-):-):-)

Love it.

I typed in "pinga" and it pronounced it perfectly.
I think I will try maricon, mamao, come mierda and some others next.:-)
The rest didn't work as well.
Also tried "hijo de puta". Not even close.
Not good at all for all uses.:-)
[Reply]
Dark Jester 12:55 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Dark Jester:
Just found out last night that Dion Giolito owns the local shop that I've been getting sticks from (Fumare in Reno, NV). :-) Been seeing him once or twice a week for a couple months now, and I had no idea he was the owner of the Illusione brand as well. I'd planned on stopping by his place later today to pick up a couple of them, as I haven't tried them yet. I'll get the difinitive answer for you guys. :-)
Confirmed it's Illusion (e is silent). :-) Picked up an '888', cg:4, and f9. Will give them a spin this weekend and see how they go. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:10 PM 05-21-2010
The rest didn't work as well.
Also tried "hijo de puta". Not even close.
Not good at all for all uses.:-)
:-)

too funny!
[Reply]
AvoFiend 06:02 AM 05-24-2010
Taken from cigar.com:
Fuente - Fuen-Teh
CAO - See Aay Oh
Tatuaje - Tattoo Ahh Hey
5 Vegas - Sinko Vegas
La Vieja Habana - La Vee Aay Ha Habana
Camacho - Kah Ma Cho
Cusano - Ku San Oh
Avo - Ah Vo
Carlos Torano - Carlos Tor Ahn Yo
La Aurora 100 Anos - La Ah-Roar Ah See-En An Yos
Padilla Miami - Pad dee ya Miami
Padron - Pah Drone
Partagas - Par Tah Gus
Romeo y Julieta - Rome-ay-o ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah
Anejo - Ahn-yay-ho
Joya de Nicaragua - Hoy-ah-day-Nicaragua
Ramon Allones - Ramone-ah-yone-ez
Cabaiguan - kah-bei-gWAHN
por larranaga - por la ron ya ga
Palio - Pal-ee-oh
Pepin - Pe-peen
Xicar - Zy-car
Illusione - Eh Loo-Zee-Own-EE
Davidoff - Dah Vid Off

also some .wav files of pronunciation
http://www.mycigarsite.com/subopcion...cion5aeng.html
[Reply]
itzfrank 08:07 AM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by AvoFiend:
Taken from cigar.com:
[/url]
:-)

I was trying to figure out how to spell "louge" for Il-Louge-Eon :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 08:45 AM 05-24-2010
Scroll up: Dark Jester found out his local B&M was owned by Dion Giolito and asked him. Apparently, it's pronounced just like illusion.
[Reply]
Dark Jester 08:57 AM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Scroll up: Dark Jester found out his local B&M was owned by Dion Giolito and asked him. Apparently, it's pronounced just like illusion.
Yeah, confirmed it with them on Friday. Dion himself wasn't in the store at the time, but the person that runs the shop when he's out confirmed it's just 'Eh Loo-Zee-Own'. (Actually, Might be better like 'Eh-Loo-She-Un')

I'll confirm with Dion himself next time I catch him in store. Will probably be this week sometime. I guess there is a slim change the person he leaves in charge might be clueless. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:06 AM 05-24-2010
Yeah, confirmed it with them on Friday. Dion himself wasn't in the store at the time, but the person that runs the shop when he's out confirmed it's just 'Eh Loo-Zee-Own'.
I stand corrected. Illusion (as in optical illusion) is pronounced "ill-oo-jhun". :-)

Me fail English? Unpossible. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
AvoFiend 02:18 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I stand corrected. Illusion (as in optical illusion) is pronounced "ill-oo-jhun". :-)

Me fail English? Unpossible. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
+1 for simpsons refference
[Reply]
junkinduck 07:55 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by AvoFiend:
Taken from cigar.com:
Fuente - Fuen-Teh
CAO - See Aay Oh
Tatuaje - Tattoo Ahh Hey
5 Vegas - Sinko Vegas
La Vieja Habana - La Vee Aay Ha Habana
Camacho - Kah Ma Cho
Cusano - Ku San Oh
Avo - Ah Vo
Carlos Torano - Carlos Tor Ahn Yo
La Aurora 100 Anos - La Ah-Roar Ah See-En An Yos
Padilla Miami - Pad dee ya Miami
Padron - Pah Drone
Partagas - Par Tah Gus
Romeo y Julieta - Rome-ay-o ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah
Anejo - Ahn-yay-ho
Joya de Nicaragua - Hoy-ah-day-Nicaragua
Ramon Allones - Ramone-ah-yone-ez
Cabaiguan - kah-bei-gWAHN
por larranaga - por la ron ya ga
Palio - Pal-ee-oh
Pepin - Pe-peen
Xicar - Zy-car
Davidoff - Dah Vid Off

also some .wav files of pronunciation
http://www.mycigarsite.com/subopcion...cion5aeng.html
This is what I had in mind when I posted.
[Reply]
Dark Jester 01:52 PM 05-26-2010
Yeah, confirmed it with them on Friday. Dion himself wasn't in the store at the time, but the person that runs the shop when he's out confirmed it's just 'Eh Loo-Zee-Own'. (Actually, Might be better like 'Eh-Loo-She-Un')

I'll confirm with Dion himself next time I catch him in store. Will probably be this week sometime. I guess there is a slim change the person he leaves in charge might be clueless. :-)
So, apparently the stand-in store clerk was mistaken. Talked to Dion himself a bit ago and he said it's "Eh-Loo-She-Own-Ay", kindof with an italian accent on it. From the owner's mouth, that's difinitive enough for me. :-) Told him he needs to set the other guy straight. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 03:01 PM 05-26-2010
So, apparently the stand-in store clerk was mistaken. Talked to Dion himself a bit ago and he said it's "Eh-Loo-She-Own-Ay", kindof with an italian accent on it. From the owner's mouth, that's difinitive enough for me. :-) Told him he needs to set the other guy straight. :-)
That's what I figured initially, with a name like Giolito. Thanks for following up. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blueface 03:10 PM 05-26-2010
I would hope so as far as the Italian accent part.
Illusion in Spanish is spelled the very same way as in English, just pronounced a bit differently.
Illusione as it is spelled for the brand is the Italian version of the word Illusion.

Now let's get back to this link and how badly it pronounces "Hijo de Puta".
I think it is shameful.:-)
[Reply]
Dark Jester 03:51 PM 05-26-2010
I would hope so as far as the Italian accent part.
Illusion in Spanish is spelled the very same way as in English, just pronounced a bit differently.
Illusione as it is spelled for the brand is the Italian version of the word Illusion.

Now let's get back to this link and how badly it pronounces "Hijo de Puta".
I think it is shameful.:-)
My spanish is a bit rusty (meaning it's been like 15 years since my spanish class in High School), but isn't 'Puta' a swear word in spanish? Means something like ***** (Female Reproductive Organ)?

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up on urban dictionary. Still don't know that I want to smoke something called that. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 04:06 PM 05-26-2010
My spanish is a bit rusty (meaning it's been like 15 years since my spanish class in High School), but isn't 'Puta' a swear word in spanish? Means something like ***** (Female Reproductive Organ)?

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up on urban dictionary. Still don't know that I want to smoke something called that. :-)
Me on the other hand, at my age, I would thoroughly enjoy lighting up a good Puta.
OK, perhaps my wife would not agree with that but wishing can be fun.

Puta is not a swear word.
However, calling someone an "Hijo de Puta" will not be readily accepted.
The first two words stands for "son of"
The latter word stands for hard working evening girls.
[Reply]
Dark Jester 04:11 PM 05-26-2010
Me on the other hand, at my age, I would thoroughly enjoy lighting up a good Puta.
OK, perhaps my wife would not agree with that but wishing can be fun.
Hahah. I live in Nevada though, so it's legal here. :-)

Agree on the wife thing though. I'm psychic enough to see a severe concussion in my future if I lit up a good Puta. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up