Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Humidors stolen, I need some kind words...
rhythm11 04:45 PM 10-31-2008
I hope you and your wife will feel safe again in your own home. I was 6 when our house was broken into, but I still remember it. We were away camping with relatives and went home early after my parents were notified. It took a long time for my family to get through it.

Also, I hope there wasn't a lot of personal information on the laptops that were taken. I would never have thought that I would need to encrypt my laptop hard drive, but that my not be a bad idea to do that.
[Reply]
webjunkie 04:53 PM 10-31-2008
Downright horrible :-) I hope they get caught. I'm glad that you and your family are okay.

I grew up in a part of Chapel Hill, NC that's right off the highway coming from Durham, and ours was one of the first neighborhoods that gangs would check out, especially around the holiday season. My parents house was broken into a couple of time. Second time it was after the alarm system was installed. The only thing that my mom could find missing was the ashtray, and that's because one of the sheriff's deputies has used it while waiting for her to come home and had washed it and left it in the sink.

Good locks and dogs are good too, but dogs make better companions than locks.

In all seriousness I'm glad to hear that everyone is all right.
[Reply]
Nimbus 05:02 PM 10-31-2008
Sorry for your loss:-). Since you have a unique humidor, you should search craigslist and ebay for that same humidor/cigars. Usually crooks sell them for profit because of the holiday season. Crime tends to be higher around this time of year as well.

I saw a story on the news a few days ago; where a person stole a unique guitar and a few other instruments. The priest had to replace the stolen instruments and the first place he looked was ebay. Lo and behold the priest found the same exact unique guitar and instruments and reported the sale to the police. The police recovered the stolen items and arrested the man. :-)
[Reply]
nozero 05:09 PM 10-31-2008
So sorry to hear this. I've been there, done that. Came home from work one day a couple of years back, my garage door was half way open. I won't ever forget or get over that feeling...

Edited to add:

I hope the next place they hit has somebody waiting with a shotgun close by.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 05:29 PM 10-31-2008
Sorry you had to experience this Uncle Kitty. I know how upsetting this is . My business was broken into about 10 days ago. As many have said at least know one was hurt. Family and friends are whats important. Wish you well.:-)
[Reply]
Dennis569 09:34 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by nozero:
So sorry to hear this. I've been there, done that. Came home from work one day a couple of years back, my garage door was half way open. I won't ever forget or get over that feeling...

Edited to add:

I hope the next place they hit has somebody waiting with a shotgun close by.
I'm sorry for your losses. I wouldn't know about gun laws in Mass. (is that
where you are?) Where I live we are allowed to defend ourselves.
The above quote about a loaded shotgun (also various handguns, rifles, knives, and a really bad attitude toward intruders) makes home intrusions unprofitable here.
[Reply]
MTB996 06:51 AM 11-01-2008
Sorry to hear about that. We had a burglar break into my old home a few years back and it was just about the most frustrating thing to ever happen to me. The thought of some coward Ahole in my house was unbelievable. It bothered me to the point where I accelerated my move plans and quickly went down the road of moving to a nicer neighborhood in a new house with an alarm system.

Sorry about the break-in. I hope you get your stuff back (or it replaced by insurance) and the scum gets shot in the head.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:44 PM 11-05-2015
Why did I revive this thread from the dead you ask?

Well today, almost 7 years to the day I got back two humidors taken as evidence after the robbery. The crooks handled them so off to the state police crime lab they went. One is a crappy Devil Site humi. The other was my beloved 50 count Cigar Caddy!:-)
I never thought I'd see that thing again. I'm so happy!:-)

Reading this old thread reminded me of all the kind things said here that made a bad time a little better. Thanks again all.
[Reply]
markem 03:51 PM 11-05-2015
Congratulations, Jeff!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:02 PM 11-05-2015
:-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 04:16 PM 11-05-2015
I love a happy ending, and not just those massage parlor ones! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:37 PM 11-05-2015
I've had my house robbed twice, my car robbed twice, and my truck stolen.
It was never the stuff, it was the violation of the safe home I created for my family.
We've always kept big dogs to watch the kids and the house, but they didn't do a very good job.
Well, that's not true. We never really lost much from the break-ins, and I never lost much from the cars. They found our truck and it was a total loss.

So now there's guns everywhere. That upsets me, too.
I don't want to have to clean up blood in my house. But I'm just done.
The wife and all the kids know how to shoot, but they don't have access, so it's kind of pointless, but there's a weird psychological peace of mind there.

I get over things really fast, Jeff. I don't hang on and I give it all to God.
But that stuff stuck with me. It was just fear and a worry that I couldn't keep my family safe.
But it wasn't true. I got over it, nobody has ever gotten hurt, and I know I can protect them.
You can too, my friend. Do whatever you have to do to give everyone peace of mind.
Even if you keep the dog caged up when you aren't home and the guns locked in the safe, it really helps settle the mind.
At least it has mine.

You have my prayers, brother.
I'm truly sorry this has happened to you and yours. It's the worst.
Let your wife be scared and support her, too. Don't minimize her fears.
She needs you now more than ever. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:14 PM 11-05-2015
Glad there was a little silver lining, albeit 7 tears later, Jeff! :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:52 PM 11-05-2015
Glad you got em back!
[Reply]
Remo 06:01 PM 11-05-2015
Very cool, glad you got them back :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 06:14 PM 11-05-2015
Think the psychological effects of something like this always seems to be more than the monetary. That said, sorry about the cigars/humidors.

Though I'd never advise someone to get dogs that didn't truly love dogs, I do think they're a Hell of a deterrent. (They're also a chit ton of work). I have 2 large Boxers and their presence makes me feel better when I'm not home(wife/kids there or not).
[Reply]
longknocker 03:49 AM 11-06-2015
Glad You Finally Got Them Back, Brother!:-)
[Reply]
massphatness 06:36 AM 11-06-2015
GREAT NEWS, JEFF!

Glad there may be some comeuppance in the theif's future.
[Reply]
oldforge 07:55 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Volt:
Ouch, that has to hurt. Might I recommend a nice furry chow chow. My pups have kept the house secure for many a year. Hopefully they will get caught before too many more get robbed.
We had a break-in a couple of years back--thankfully no cigars were taken--and we had a Chow Chow who gets the credit.

The thief grabbed a pillowcase, a cheap Acer laptop on its last legs, my wife's Cubik Zirconia ring (she was wearing the real diamond at work), and a couple of other minor items.

Nothing else was touched--I figure the chow chow had the thief's arm in his teeth the entire (very brief) time they were in the house. Needless to say we haven't had a problem since. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up