Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Save or Savor?
flat6nut 04:11 PM 06-07-2009
How do you pick out what cigar you are going to smoke?

Do you smoke whatever beckons you (no stick is safe)?
or
Do you stay away from your big money sticks (save for a special occasion)?

Just curious after reading a couple threads about "what cigar to smoke on this special day". I personally go by nothing is safe from the torch.

...and if you are saving something...whats stick and for what occasion?

:-)
[Reply]
AD720 04:15 PM 06-07-2009
I personally try to not save certain cigars - everything will get smoked. I may save them for a special occasion (a big herf, holiday, or just the right situation) but nothing is off limits. If you never smoke it than you will never know.
[Reply]
14holestogie 04:22 PM 06-07-2009
I find I hang on to the higher end and any gifted sticks for those occasions when they can be savored.

I don't want to disrespct a gift by smoking it when I'm concentrating on something else, like golf or yard-work.

I think the Shack will see a lot of gifted and traded sticks getting a workout from me. :-)
[Reply]
troutbreath 04:31 PM 06-07-2009
I think that just about anything is OK, but I do keep some sticks aside. I won't smoke an Opus while mowing, for instance. And there are some sticks that I try to put some age on, so they stay in the bottom of the box for a while.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:40 PM 06-07-2009
I open the humi and whatever jumps out at me, I grab it and it gets lit. I do save a few special sticks for herfs, special occasions, etc. Have an Opus X and God of Fire that I am saving for "a rainy day". Not sure if they'll make it because they stare back every time I pop open the humi.
[Reply]
flat6nut 04:46 PM 06-07-2009
What about hiding your special occasion smokes? I think alot of people put their best sticks on the top shelf of their humi. That would really be a tease if every time you opened your humi and had to reach past the goodies.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:49 PM 06-07-2009
I have the seven drawer charleston...so I keep them in the bottom drawer...but I KNOW they are there...hence the problem!!
[Reply]
icehog3 04:51 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by flat6nut:
How do you pick out what cigar you are going to smoke?

Do you smoke whatever beckons you (no stick is safe)? Yup
or
Do you stay away from your big money sticks (save for a special occasion)? Nope.

Just curious after reading a couple threads about "what cigar to smoke on this special day". I personally go by nothing is safe from the torch.

...and if you are saving something...whats stick and for what occasion?

:-)
A good cigar can make an occasion special. :-)
[Reply]
flat6nut 06:14 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I have the seven drawer charleston...so I keep them in the bottom drawer...but I KNOW they are there...hence the problem!!

Yes, I did a search for your humi after seeing it in your album. I like it alot!
[Reply]
flat6nut 06:15 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
A good cigar can make an occasion special. :-)
Exactly!
[Reply]
sikk50 06:22 PM 06-07-2009
I usualy smoke my cheaper stuff and save my more pricy things for bad/good days.

The opus and pan/pam are saved for birthdays and what not.

I have stuff that's saved merely fir aging.

And I have one Forbidden that's saved for when I graduate with my BA. If I get the opportunity to pick up another I will for when I get onto a police department.
[Reply]
TripleF 06:44 PM 06-07-2009
Personally, since "great cigars" are not all that common for me I tend to save them for special occassions. BUT, then again, what determines a special occassion, isn't it the cigar :-)

Well that answered helped no one, I'm sure. :-)
[Reply]
Cigary 07:25 PM 06-07-2009
I usually save a cigar esp. if it is a super premium smoke. I dont like them if they are just bought or have spent no time in the humidor. I like saving them for special occasions because it makes the occasion more memorable.
[Reply]
Hitagain 07:36 PM 06-07-2009
My only safe ones are 3 of the cigars I handed out for each of my daughters births.
1 for when they graduate, 1 for when they get married and 1 for the birth of the first grand child. They are nothing special but just sentimental. I enjoyed them when I got them I hope I enjoy them when they have 18+ years on them.
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:51 PM 06-07-2009
I have a handful of cigars that I have no idea when I'll smoke them. Don't get me wrong, I will...but it hasn't occurred to me when yet. I'm sure it will be at a herf.

Other than those couple, everything is game.
[Reply]
poriggity 08:54 PM 06-07-2009
I'll smoke whatever strikes me. I do have an opus X thats aged 2 years, that I manage to skip over fairly often, as I am "trying" to save it for a special occasion.
Scott
[Reply]
massphatness 08:58 PM 06-07-2009
Unless I know I'm going to be rushed, I'll smoke whatever I'm craving at the moment.

If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, what good are those "special" sticks going to do me?
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:59 PM 06-07-2009
Good point Vin!! I'm looking both ways before I cross the street.
[Reply]
big a 09:28 PM 06-07-2009
1. I pick the cigar depending on where it will be smoked and when. If it is at work i try to get the smaller sticks since time is limited. If it will be in the AM i go for something light and mild. if it is in the PM i often times find myself smoking something stronger and fuller.

2. I often find myself saving my special sticks and CC for a special occasion. I have this weird thing of liking to hold on to things that i treasure or find special. But that is not to say i woln't pick one of those sticks up on a random afternoon. Like they said ^^ if you don't smoke it you will never know what your missing.
[Reply]
groogs 09:42 PM 06-07-2009
I always somke whatever I feel like. If I want a $30 smoke it goes up in smoke, or if I am in the mood for a $2 smoke that is what I grab. I quit saving stickes, because that special ocasion never seems to come.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up