Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Troops Room>Questions for you Navy boys
BigCat 12:37 PM 04-08-2011
Gentlemen -

My future brother-in-law is graduating from Michigan at the end of the month and being commissioned into the Navy. I've turned him into a cigar smoker and I'm putting together a little starter pack for him with a humidor, hygrometer, cutter, beads and some cigars as a graduation/commissioning gift. I found the zippo linked below that I was thinking of buying together with a z-plus insert. My question is whether the "Navy" on it refers to the Naval Academy or whether it is the actual branch of the armed services. Maybe it is a weird question, but is it something a non-Academy grad would like/should have?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHQQ8wIwAg#

Thanks for any feedback.
[Reply]
Barcode 12:39 PM 04-08-2011
That's the actual Navy Logo. I have not been in for a while but I got a zippo from every ship I was stationed on, so getting him the insert might be a good idea but I would let him get his zippo from his first command.
[Reply]
Barcode 12:42 PM 04-08-2011
Or offer to buy the Zippo from his first command fro him.
[Reply]
BigCat 03:41 PM 04-08-2011
Thanks a lot. That is a great idea about the first command. I appreciate the help!
[Reply]
sparkboss 11:28 AM 04-09-2011
You may like to get him a little somethin as a stand in until he can get to his first command - it may be a few months before he actually gets there. I would also suggest you get him a humidor that is easy to travel with - i think a 50 count or so would be fairly easy to tote around, and not to mention easy to store! seeing as how storage space in the navy is limited (especially on ships!!). Give him my best of regards, and welcome to the World's most powerful Navy!
[Reply]
BigCat 10:41 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by sparkboss:
You may like to get him a little somethin as a stand in until he can get to his first command - it may be a few months before he actually gets there. I would also suggest you get him a humidor that is easy to travel with - i think a 50 count or so would be fairly easy to tote around, and not to mention easy to store! seeing as how storage space in the navy is limited (especially on ships!!). Give him my best of regards, and welcome to the World's most powerful Navy!
Thanks for your suggestions! I got him a 40-50 count, so he should be able to keep it wherever he ends up. He's actually headed to Pensacola to be trained as a navigator starting in September. I think he'll be there for a couple years before getting on a ship. I'll certainly send your regards - I like how you put that about the most powerful Navy. I bet he will too.
[Reply]
sparkboss 10:44 AM 04-13-2011
any time brother!! i'm sure he'll enjoy his stay - especially with all the traveling he can do!
[Reply]
357 11:41 AM 04-13-2011
Great stuff Colin. Very nice of you.
[Reply]
BigCat 06:28 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by 357:
Great stuff Colin. Very nice of you.
Thanks, Mike. He's a good kid. Just looking to recognize the accomplishment (and secure a long-term smoking buddy)
[Reply]
Up