Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Welp, it finally happened...bring the pain
FUEL 06:54 PM 06-04-2013
MRI came back on the left knee today and after two previous operations and the recent ungodly pain of just trying to walk the knee is completely bone on bone (we knew that for the most part already as the cartilage and meniscus were removed years ago) wearing down to the nub (ha! see what I did there...nub) and the ACL and MCL look like fishing line when casting fly fishing as opposed to ice fishing taunt fishing line.

Scheduled for Thursday, August 1st at 0530, I am having the left knee completely replaced. Lmao...it's always something isn't it? I knew this day was coming, as has my surgeon since 2003, but was hoping it would last until my mid-50's as opposed to 37. This will be operation #5 between the two.

If that information does not call for a stick and a pick me up I don't know what else does ha! Thanks Lockspur!

:-)
J.
[Reply]
markem 06:57 PM 06-04-2013
How old are you? Joint replacements only last so long. I've been bone-on-bone in the left knee since I was in my late 20s. In my 50s now and have no intention of having a replacement. My brother is senior management at a company that makes these things (artificial joints) and he is pretty clear about not doing it until your 70s, even if it means using a cane or walker.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 06:58 PM 06-04-2013
well brother i wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 07:11 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
How old are you? Joint replacements only last so long. I've been bone-on-bone in the left knee since I was in my late 20s. In my 50s now and have no intention of having a replacement. My brother is senior management at a company that makes these things (artificial joints) and he is pretty clear about not doing it until your 70s, even if it means using a cane or walker.
37. Years and years and years of abuse from Jr to Senior HS and college in addition to competitive weightlifting and being formerly morbidly obese. The right knee only has the MCL left on it now.

No way in hell am I going to be 37 with a cane or a walker. Its a pain in the ass but I'll be back hiking again by next fall.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:12 PM 06-04-2013
It the pain unbearable? Seems like Mark's on to something. Either way, good luck.
[Reply]
riverdawg 07:13 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
And another. Best of luck! Its in my future as well... but I've made it to 60 with what I've got.
[Reply]
FUEL 07:16 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
Gotta be positive, I mean lettuce discuss. I am going to get about 1/2" of height back along with about 1/4" from being hunched over so I will be right at 6'4" now.

My weiner is still bigger than all of yours at 15.1 pounds and I don't need the little blue pill and there is a Liga Privda special event with Fabien next Thursday here. All good in the hood :-)

Going to have weigh the pain killer options however...

EDIT - Private # in pic - will reupload

PS - Got your PM, tick...tock...tick...tock...is it Friday yet?!?
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:20 PM 06-04-2013
15#? My Dog's **** stuff bigger than that dog :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 07:20 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
It the pain unbearable? Seems like Mark's on to something. Either way, good luck.
Its getting pretty damn bad and even more bothersome is its really really limiting my mobility.

I'm not an expert, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, but he showed me the MRI of a "normal" knee and then my knee and it looks pretty damn messed up.

The bone is flatter than my 3rd grade GF and everything is just in shreds. As with everything I do sans women and cigars, I am getting a second opinion in 3 weeks, but I have had this surgeon 4 times, dad 3 times, mom 2 times and he is nationally known and not that it means anything by their play but is also the main orthopedist for the Vikings. I trust him.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:21 PM 06-04-2013
...But the Vikings suck.
Seriously though, hope it works out, James.
[Reply]
FUEL 07:21 PM 06-04-2013
15#? My Dog's **** stuff bigger than that dog :-)
Reading comprehension escapes you!
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:22 PM 06-04-2013
No, I just didn't want to read into your crotch too much :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 07:28 PM 06-04-2013
No, I just didn't want to read into your crotch too much :-)
Zing! Gotta admit you got me on that one :-)
[Reply]
crgcpro 07:29 PM 06-04-2013
Sounds painful! Good luck with the surgery.
[Reply]
Dave128 08:31 PM 06-04-2013
Sounds awful. Good luck with the surgery, James.
[Reply]
Remo 09:07 PM 06-04-2013
Dang, sucks....good luck with a speedy recovery!!
[Reply]
icehog3 01:15 AM 06-05-2013
It's all about quality of life. I hear that the replacement have a max liife of around 10 years. Middle-aged recipients will likely need a second replacement down the road, and the second procedure is often not as successful as the first. But if your quality of life is improved greatly for 10 years (from 37 to 47 in your case), only you and your surgeon can say if it is worth it for you. I wish you the best.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:54 AM 06-05-2013
All the best to you!
[Reply]
FUEL 07:57 AM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
It's all about quality of life. I hear that the replacement have a max liife of around 10 years. Middle-aged recipients will likely need a second replacement down the road, and the second procedure is often not as successful as the first. But if your quality of life is improved greatly for 10 years (from 37 to 47 in your case), only you and your surgeon can say if it is worth it for you. I wish you the best.
thanks man. He told me advancements have come so far now it's more like 15 years but as you said it's quality of life.

Still going in for a 2nd opinion.
[Reply]
equetefue 09:12 AM 06-05-2013
Please do. When I had my knee surgery in the service, they were totally opposed to replacement due to young age. I've struggled with pain for the last 10 years but it beats the hell out of having to replace my knee by this point already.

I have made it a commitment to myself to loose weight and exercise heavily to strenghten the knee and it has helped a lot.

Wish you the best there James, but do yourself a favor and go for a second opinion.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up