Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Jose Seijas Perfecto
Skywalker 12:04 AM 04-20-2009
This cigar was gifted to me by my good friend Kriss (aka NickyTeen)!!!

Length/Ring: 6.5 X 48
Shape: Perfecto
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan and Peruvian
Strength: Mild

As advertised:
Imagine if one man were responsible for the creation of the Mercedes Benz, the BMW, the Rolls Royce and the Lamborghini. Master cigar blender and maker José Seijas has achieved such a coup in the cigar industry having created exceptional cigars for the world’s most prestigious brands including Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Trinidad and many more.

Seijas Signature Series is the Master Blender’s singular vision of the ultimate cigar. Impressively, the authoritative Cigar Insider named Seijas Signature Series the best cigar made in the Dominican Republic in its December 2005 issue. Cigar Aficionado chose Seijas Signature Series as one of the 10 best cigars of 2006, and Robb Report included it among its “Best of the Best”.

Seijas Signature Series is the epitome of elegance and sophistication and makes a superlative gift for the serious smoker. As a connoisseur of fine cigars, you are cordially invited to experience Seijas Signature Series – a truly incomparable cigar from a true Master of cigar making.

Kriss specifically asked me to review this cigar!!! I really don't want to let him down. Yet, I owe it to this community to give my honest opinion.

This cigar is a thing of beauty. I love the perfecto shape, the dark sumatra wrapper, and the smooth sleek look!!!

The pre-light draw was tight due to the nipple foot. After torching the foot and taking a few puffs the draw loosened up considerably!!! The first flavors from the smoke are floral notes and toasted wheat bread!!! Nice!!! Not a hint of harshness!!!

The floral continued and a slight buttery taste was now detected on the toasted bread flavor. Not a big change at all. No spice is detected.

A little past the halfway mark now. The floral is still present, cedar was starting to come though, but nothing at the back of my throat at all. This is a mild but flavorful cigar.

There were no noticeable changes during the experience. The flavor is good through and through. There is neither harshness or bitterness to this cigar at all. I really don't like cigars that make the back of my throat burn or itch!!! This one is very pleasing!!!

Total smoke time took 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Construction/Appearance: 9.5 out of 10 (Nice shape)
Flavor Balance: 7.5 out of 10 (due to no noticeable changes)
Strength: Mild
Over all experience: 8 out of 10
Value: This was gifted but I wouldn't expect to pay more than $12.00 per stick

Thank you Kriss!!!
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:05 AM 04-20-2009
I paired this with Sierra Nevada Summerfest!!!

Also with Sierra Nevada Pale Bock (A much better pairing in my opinion!)

Very nice!!! Thanks again Kriss!!!
[Reply]
rennD 12:16 AM 04-20-2009
nice review. :-)
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 06:35 AM 04-20-2009
Great review and pics, thanks.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:20 AM 04-20-2009
Originally Posted by rennD:
nice review. :-)
Originally Posted by Smoke Naked:
Great review and pics, thanks.
Thanks!!!

I must add...

If you really enjoy a Sumatra wrapper, this is the cigar for you!!!

[Reply]
scooter 08:13 AM 04-20-2009
Another great review. Thanks Darrell.:-)
[Reply]
NickyTeen 09:53 AM 04-20-2009
Darrell, thanks for reviewing this cigar. I really think your experience with it is the same as mine. I just can't put it down in words the way you do. This is not an amazing cigar, but I have enjoyed it completely every time. Love that sumatra wrapper. I prefer fuller bodied smokes, but find this one has enough unique flavors to make it very enjoyable. Thank you for a great review and great pics.:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:10 AM 04-20-2009
Nice review, but that's more of a Figurado than a Perfecto. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:34 AM 04-20-2009
Originally Posted by NickyTeen:
Darrell, thanks for reviewing this cigar. I really think your experience with it is the same as mine. I just can't put it down in words the way you do. This is not an amazing cigar, but I have enjoyed it completely every time. Love that sumatra wrapper. I prefer fuller bodied smokes, but find this one has enough unique flavors to make it very enjoyable. Thank you for a great review and great pics.:-)
Glad you felt the same!!! You are very welcome for the review!!!:-)

Originally Posted by Darrell:
I agree, but Jose's site lists this as a perfecto so take it up with the master!!!:-)
[Reply]
BamBam 10:47 AM 04-20-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
A "perfecto" is a type of cigar that is encompassed inside the cigar class of "figurado".

From MRN: Perfecto
Cigar Slang
Referring to a cigar that is tapered at both ends...
"Perfecto is usually a large cigar and it tapers from the centre towards each end"
(Page 348)

From MRN: Figurado
Refers to any cigars which are not of the parejo shape
Includes Torpedoes, Perfectos
(Page 150)

The Cigar Aficionado Pocket Guide agrees

Actually looking at the cigar it is more of a "Diadema"

From CA Pocket Guide: Diademas
A Ture Torpedo
The head and foot on this cigar are both closed.
It is usually 8 inches or longer...
It has a ring gauge of 40 at the head and 52 to 54 or even larger, at the foot.

I would say it is a "Diadema" :-)
Although the lengths and RG's are off the shape and look are dead on.

See page 114-115 of MRN for comparison picks or page 22-23 of CA Pocket Guide for their pics.
[Reply]
BamBam 10:59 AM 04-20-2009
Also..I've had one in the robusto size. It was good and I found it very mild.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 04:18 PM 04-20-2009
Wow school is apparently started but I didnt hear the bell.

JK
I still dont know all the terms for cigars. I see stuff on the boards and have to go search the terms.
[Reply]
nozero 04:24 PM 04-20-2009
Great review w/pics! Thanks!
[Reply]
groogs 09:37 PM 04-21-2009
Nice review, I enjoyed the one Seijas I had, but I don't think I would lay down $12 for one.:-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 12:54 AM 04-22-2009
Nice Review and pics. I enjoyed the ones I smoked and would agree they are a great looking stick but very mild. If that's what you are looking for chances are you will enjoy this cigar.
[Reply]
borndead1 11:21 AM 04-22-2009
$13 a stick! :-)

Too rich for my blood!
[Reply]
Up