Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 162 of 199
« First < 62112152160161162 163164172 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Chainsaw13 11:30 AM 05-24-2023
Originally Posted by stearns:
Go grab a bottle and do a side by side, it will help appreciate the uniqueness of the finish from the pick :-)
So on my way back from lunch, hit up the local liquor store and grabbed a bottle of the BRT-02. Drinking it right now. Very enjoyable. Unique. They also had the BRT-01. Worth picking that up? I went with the 02 as a quick search had it more to my flavor profile.
[Reply]
kingcobradude 01:00 PM 05-24-2023
Go grab a bottle and do a side by side, it will help appreciate the uniqueness of the finish from the pick :-)
I will have to. My bottle isn't even open yet, they had a tasting of this at the liquor store
[Reply]
stearns 01:51 PM 05-24-2023
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
So on my way back from lunch, hit up the local liquor store and grabbed a bottle of the BRT-02. Drinking it right now. Very enjoyable. Unique. They also had the BRT-01. Worth picking that up? I went with the 02 as a quick search had it more to my flavor profile.
They were both pretty good but I preferred 02
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:03 PM 05-24-2023
They were both pretty good but I preferred 02
Thanks Ben. I値l stick to this one. I have plenty of bottles to drink from now.
[Reply]
stearns 07:16 AM 05-25-2023
Sounds to me like you still don't have nearly enough :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:09 AM 05-25-2023
I picked up two more of the MM BEP.... Bob, if you run into that, it is better than both the BRTs (and all except FAE-02) in my humble opinion.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:22 AM 05-25-2023
Sounds to me like you still don't have nearly enough :-)
Well I went from maybe 4-5 bottles to 20+ different bottles with about 30 if you count multiples. My kitchen counter is overflowing.

Originally Posted by icehog3:
I picked up two more of the MM BEP.... Bob, if you run into that, it is better than both the BRTs (and all except FAE-02) in my humble opinion.
I値l keep my eye for it. I was surprised to see last years bottles on the shelf, let alone at msrp.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:54 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I値l keep my eye for it. I was surprised to see last years bottles on the shelf, let alone at msrp.
Unusual but you find those hidden gems now and then. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:13 PM 05-25-2023
So I sent my friend in NC, a huge bourbon drinker, a pic of my meager collection. He sends me pics of his stuff that would put some liquor stores to shame. He just sent me a pic of a bottle of Very Old Fitz he got as a retirement gift.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:24 PM 05-25-2023
And now he just sent me a pic of his last haul from KY. Wow. I’d blow my savings on what he got. Multiples of Weller 12, WLW, and plenty others.
[Reply]
stearns 02:02 PM 05-25-2023
I suspect if they're getting WLW from Kentucky they probably did blow some savings. You can occasionally get lucky at a distillery there for certain special releases, but in general people who live in KY tend agree it's easier to get allocated stuff in other states. That being said, KY and DC are the only places where a store is legally allowed to buy from a collector and resell the bottle, so literally everything ever is available, but they all come with a fitting price tag
[Reply]
kingcobradude 07:15 PM 05-25-2023
Picked up a (small) bottle of regular makers to compare to the private selection I got
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:50 PM 05-25-2023
I opened up the GD Hand Selected Barrel tonight. It's pretty damned tasty. I'm not the greatest at getting tasting notes, but I get cherry, caramel, and tiramisu on the nose. The palate is sweet cinnamon apple and a pleasant peppery note. I'd pick up another bottle of this if the price was right.

[Reply]
kingcobradude 09:19 PM 05-25-2023
Having some regular makers tonight
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:14 AM 05-26-2023
I suspect if they're getting WLW from Kentucky they probably did blow some savings. You can occasionally get lucky at a distillery there for certain special releases, but in general people who live in KY tend agree it's easier to get allocated stuff in other states. That being said, KY and DC are the only places where a store is legally allowed to buy from a collector and resell the bottle, so literally everything ever is available, but they all come with a fitting price tag
So bear with me, I知 still a noob. Looking at the pic again, so I see bottles of Weller 12. Next to it is a bottle of W. L. Weller 12. Different bottle shapes, different labels. That痴 what I was calling WLW. It痴 not the bottle from the BTAC series.
[Reply]
stearns 07:13 AM 05-26-2023
Ah I see, sounds like it could be an older bottling of Weller, in which case see above about spending your savings in KY :-)

But seriously that's pretty cool, I was never much of a fan of Weller 12, I found a bottle for $60 a few years ago which felt expensive at the time but boy was I wrong. I have a friend with a closet full of old Weller stuff, but somebody told him how much it's worth so he wanted close to $400 for an old handle of 107. It's probably low for what he could get for it, but I'm sure not paying that
[Reply]
stearns 07:22 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I opened up the GD Hand Selected Barrel tonight. It's pretty damned tasty. I'm not the greatest at getting tasting notes, but I get cherry, caramel, and tiramisu on the nose. The palate is sweet cinnamon apple and a pleasant peppery note. I'd pick up another bottle of this if the price was right.

Sounds delicious! Those Dickel picks can be all over the place, I've had a few that are fruity heavenly and a few that are over the top mineral and borderline undrinkable. Glad you got a good one :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:27 AM 05-26-2023
I agree with Ben, James, the Dickel picks are pretty inconsistent, I'm also glad you got a good one.

Met some old hockey teammates out at a burger & bourbon place, and tried these 3 "new to me" pours:

Larceny Barrel Proof A121. Doesn't hold a candle to Elijah Craig BP.

Barrell Bourbon Batch 19 (2019). Sweet and complex, but not as good as Batch 28.

Maker's Mark Cask Strength. Meh. Gimmie the wood finished series or a high proof single barrel over this.

So what to do after that? Come home for some old faithful Knob Creek 102 proof single barrel. :-)

[Reply]
Brian D. 09:30 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by icehog3:
...the dickel picks...
phrasing! :d
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:20 AM 05-26-2023
Sounds delicious! Those Dickel picks can be all over the place, I've had a few that are fruity heavenly and a few that are over the top mineral and borderline undrinkable. Glad you got a good one :-)
Interesting, one of the guys I watch on YT says the same about Dickel. Guess I値l stay away from them for now.
[Reply]
Page 162 of 199
« First < 62112152160161162 163164172 > Last »
Up