Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Boxing woes....
icehog3 08:48 PM 04-03-2010
5 of the 10 headlines on ESPN.com's boxing page right now.

Originally Posted by :
Former champ Hearns holds auction to pay debt.

Ex-world champ Tapia back in New Mexico jail.

Valero enters rehab center under court order.

Calzaghe says he's used cocaine since retiring.

Gatti's widow gets $100K from boxer's estate.
:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:51 PM 04-03-2010
I still remember when it was the "sweet science" and the heavyweights weren't just fat slobs like this Butterbean fella.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:55 PM 04-03-2010
Have you ever seen the Klitschko brothers?

Or since Butterbean's departure, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Shannon Briggs, David Hayes, etc? They are hardly "fat slobs". :-)
[Reply]
montecristo#2 08:57 PM 04-03-2010
I think MMA and the UFC have really hurt the popularity of boxing. That plus the lack of prominent fights, it is kind if sad.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:59 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:

Or since Butterbean's departure, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Shannon Briggs, David Hayes, etc?
None of the above. I pretty much gave up on boxing turn of the millenium. Hey- I just noticed a new smilie!:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:59 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
I think MMA and the UFC have really hurt the popularity of boxing. That plus the lack of prominent fights, it is kind if sad.
Most of the great fights of last several years are in the lighter weight classes it seems. I am still a fan of good toe-to-toe boxers though.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:00 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
None of the above. I pretty much gave up on boxing turn of the millenium. Hey- I just noticed a new smilie!:-)
How's that ADD treating you, Hugh? :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:01 PM 04-03-2010

Or since Butterbean's departure, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Shannon Briggs, David Hayes, etc? They are hardly "fat slobs". :-)
They made heavyweight boxing worth watching after Tyson's .... well... whatever that was.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:04 PM 04-03-2010
Damn Nurse Ratched didn't give me my meds tonight!

[Reply]
TheRiddick 09:33 PM 04-03-2010
Most of the great fights of last several years are in the lighter weight classes it seems. I am still a fan of good toe-to-toe boxers though.
Emelianenko?
[Reply]
icehog3 09:36 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Emelianenko?
I was focusing on boxing here...I know Fedor is an MMA beast. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:37 PM 04-03-2010
What has hurt boxing is it is not available on tv anymore. Other than ESPN a couple times a month where else can you see it without paying for a premium channel or PPV?
[Reply]
icehog3 09:39 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
What has hurt boxing is it is not available on tv anymore. Other than ESPN a couple times a month where else can you see it without paying for a premium channel or PPV?
But MMA is thriving, and the top UFC fights are mostly PPV. I do agree, wish there was more boxing on TV, Ryan.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 09:47 PM 04-03-2010
But MMA is thriving, and the top UFC fights are mostly PPV. I do agree, wish there was more boxing on TV, Ryan.
Yeh, but it seems UFC is always on Spike these days. From UFC Live to replays of older fights to the Ultimate Fighter, you can watch MMA 4 or 5 nights of the week.

Sometimes you only have to wait a couple of months to see the recent PPV events as well. I know this has really got me hooked on MMA recently.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:50 PM 04-03-2010
True, but I have no real interest in watching a lot of the fights they show on Spike, Aaron. Lots of them are years old. I like the hype leading up to a big match, and watching it without already knowing the result.
[Reply]
Bigwaved 09:51 PM 04-03-2010
if you get hit in the head enough your thinker may malfunction more than normal
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:52 PM 04-03-2010
Nothing like the old HBO Friday night undercards leading up to a Klitchko beatdown. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:53 PM 04-03-2010
I miss watching Tyson in the old days.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:54 PM 04-03-2010
Some of the best 90 second fights ever. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:56 PM 04-03-2010
Some of the best 90 second fights ever. :-)
Yeah, that last Tyson/Holyfield fight was a real doosey. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up