Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>B&M Smoking etiquette
Flynnster 06:29 PM 03-09-2011
Hey guys, so I recently found out that Jack Schwartz is right down the street from one of my classes and I would love to stop in there and have a smoke, only problem is, I just got a bunch of cigars, so I don't need to buy any more. I feel like it is frowned upon to go to a shop and smoke but now buy anything. I do need to pick up some butane, but is that enough of a purchase to not be looked down upon for using their place to smoke?

Thanks!!
[Reply]
pektel 06:30 PM 03-09-2011
If I were to bring my own smoke, I would buy at least one from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ogre 06:31 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:32 PM 03-09-2011
I would definitely buy something from the humidor instead of lighting up your own. Personally, I always purchase singles from the shop if I am going to smoke there. After some time I perhaps you can bring your own and smoke it second, but you need to support the business before you start using their facility. :-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:33 PM 03-09-2011
Alright, thanks for telling me what I thought guys!!! I thought it was completely off limits but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also, that was a darn fast bunch of replies.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:34 PM 03-09-2011
+5 or whatever number we are on. you get the idea.
[Reply]
md4958 06:39 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
Posted via Mobile Device
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
:-)
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
I would definitely buy something from the humidor instead of lighting up your own. Personally, I always purchase singles from the shop if I am going to smoke there. After some time I perhaps you can bring your own and smoke it second, but you need to support the business before you start using their facility. :-)
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
+5 or whatever number we are on. you get the idea.
Not sure if its been mentioned already, but it is bad form to walk into ANY establishment with your own items and not purchase anything.

I always buy at least one cigar, and always smoke my own. I also make a point of telling them that I plan on doing that.

A simple "If I buy out of the humidor, do you mind if I smoke my own?" avoids stink eye later on.
[Reply]
EricF 06:43 PM 03-09-2011
All the local B&M's I frequent either by myself or when herfing, let me bring my own in but I feel it is only right you do purchase something while there as a thank you, in a small way, for letting you smoke there.

Luckily none of the B&M's I go to charge a cutting fee.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:20 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by EricF:
All the local B&M's I frequent either by myself or when herfing, let me bring my own in but I feel it is only right you do purchase something while there as a thank you, in a small way, for letting you smoke there.

pretty much the same answers as most here I tend to like my smokes a little drier than most bm humidors are kept so I always bring a few sticks and purchase a couple as well, also purchase first and if I am smoking something they dont carry I take the band off before I even light it
[Reply]
markem 07:27 PM 03-09-2011
Sometimes the B&M doesn't have any sticks you really want to purchase at that time. Doesn't mean that you can't ask the owner/staff person what they like and buy it for them. I've made good friends by doing that.
[Reply]
Ismith75 07:34 PM 03-09-2011
Where do you go to school brother?
[Reply]
Flynnster 08:06 PM 03-09-2011
I'm at DePaul, live in the lincoln park campus, but have a couple classes downtown.
[Reply]
Ismith75 08:16 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
I'm at DePaul, live in the lincoln park campus, but have a couple classes downtown.
Nice, I go to UIC. Cant go wrong with Schwartz.
[Reply]
Flynnster 08:19 PM 03-09-2011
I actually have only visited once, was not greeted, walked through the store, and was not spoken to once. I will give them another chance though.

I have had great luck at Iwan Ries, and even if you don't wanna buy anything it is work the stop to see an amazing classic store.
[Reply]
T.G 08:22 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by md4958:
Not sure if its been mentioned already, but it is bad form to walk into ANY establishment with your own items and not purchase anything.

I always buy at least one cigar, and always smoke my own. I also make a point of telling them that I plan on doing that.

A simple "If I buy out of the humidor, do you mind if I smoke my own?" avoids stink eye later on.
Excellent advice Moe!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 08:31 PM 03-09-2011
Great advice, at least 1 stick purchase is usually acceptable.
[Reply]
Ismith75 08:32 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by Flynnster:
I actually have only visited once, was not greeted, walked through the store, and was not spoken to once. I will give them another chance though.

I have had great luck at Iwan Ries, and even if you don't wanna buy anything it is work the stop to see an amazing classic store.
Totally agree on Iwan Ries, great store. There's a shop by UIC called Ralph's Cigars that you might wana check out. Its selection is minimal but its got a really nice community feel to it.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:02 PM 03-09-2011
When you go back to Jack Schwartz, ask for Eric. He is a member here...and a pretty good hockey player to boot....so he is +2 in my book. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:07 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by HollywoodQue:
Great advice, at least 1 stick purchase is usually acceptable.
Typically, I will not smoke a cigar that I just bought at a B&M as most B&M humidors are too moist for my tastes, so, my personal rule is that I try to buy a quantity equal to or exceeding the number of my own cigars I plan on smoking. I also try and match the quality within reason.
[Reply]
Miket156 12:21 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by :
by EricF:

Have you ever thought of bringing your own cutter and lighter? If you bring your own cigar, bring your own supplies. Even if you buy something there, I wouldn't impose on the shop to cut a cigar you didn't buy there.

I usually don't want to smoke a cigar I just bought at a B&M unless its ready to be smoked. Often times the RH in a B&M is not what I prefer, so I'd rather take it home and let it rest in my humidor. If that's the case, I would ask the owner if could smoke one of mine (after buying cigars or accessories there) and if he says its ok, I would use my own cutter and lighter. I always take cigar bands off anyway, but if the cigar I'm smoking isn't sold at the B&M I would be sure to roll it up and toss it in the waste basket.

Cheers,

Mike T.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up