Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Old Henry Maduro
shilala 10:35 AM 04-10-2009
I just picked up a handful of these in a box split about a month ago. I took them out of their cellos and placed them in my big humi to air out.
I smoked one at work a couple days ago and it will definately be a staple from here on out.
It's not an extremely powerful smoke, but it has a nice solid body.
It's mildly sweet, mildly "salty", reasonably full, and deliciously spicy.
The spice is faint at first, fills out after a couple inches, and really takes the stage at the end of the smoke.
During the last quarter of the cigar, the spice tingle danced on my lips and made the cigar that much more interesting. It wasn't at all the acrid spice tingle that comes from spiced jellybeans or most dpg blends like the cuban classics.
It's a natural spice tingle that you would get from indian turnips or radishes or other things from land or garden. Not the chemical-like spice flavor that's so prevelant in "spicy" cigars of late.
It reminded me of the spice in a Don Carlos, but a lot fuller.

The reason why this will be in my regular stable is that it's unique.
It honestly has it's own flavor, even if it's reminiscent of so many other cigars. It has many of the things that I like in a cigar, including looks, label, craftsmanship, color, and a certain "cool factor".
It has all the standard quality factors nailed down, too. The burn was perfect. The draw was perfect. The construction was stellar.
I could go on forever about the positives.
What's probably the most amazing thing is that I can not find one single negative thing to say about this cigar. The price is even fair.
I pride myself on being brutally picky. How this thing slid through my gauntlet of criticism unscathed is beyond me.
It's just plain good. Not great, not earth-shattering, just plain good.
Holt's and Don Pepin should take pride in a job well done. :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 10:38 AM 04-10-2009
Beautifl review Scotty!! Two thumbs up! :-) :-)
[Reply]
dunng 10:39 AM 04-10-2009
Thanks for the review, I've been eyeing them! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 10:50 AM 04-10-2009
Thanks for the review. They are now on my list!

MCS
[Reply]
JaKaacH 10:55 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Thanks for the review. They are now on my list!

MCS
Thanks for the review Scott! I think I will add them to my to try list too.
But I will not add them to MCS's list because he said they were already there..:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:55 AM 04-10-2009
If you put these down for about a year, they can become CRAZY stronger and SPICY. I had a buddy who laid a handful down for a year and brought one out to smoke one. I pulled off a few times and blew it out my nose and it made my eyes water.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 10:56 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
If you put these down for about a year, they can become CRAZY stronger and SPICY. I had a buddy who laid a handful down for a year and brought one out to smoke one. I pulled off a few times and blew it out my nose and it made my eyes water.
Have they been out that long???
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 11:04 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
I think Darrell has "connections" since he's in the biz. They were released about 3 months ago if I remember right.

MCS
[Reply]
G G 11:07 AM 04-10-2009
Nice review Scott.:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 11:15 AM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Perhaps it was not the Maduro? I don't know, I know it was an Old Henry and I thought he said it was a Maduro.
[Reply]
Nabinger16 02:16 PM 04-10-2009
Very nice review! I've been thinking about picking up some of these. I'm not really a huge spice type of guy. I'll still have to give them a whirl though.
[Reply]
shilala 02:16 PM 04-10-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Perhaps it was not the Maduro? I don't know, I know it was an Old Henry and I thought he said it was a Maduro.
The Old Henry's have been around for a long while and they're pretty average. I'm not a fan at all, but everyone who likes spice and light wrappers seems to enjoy them.
They're pretty dark for a corojo wrapper. That's probably why you thought it was a maduro. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:57 PM 04-10-2009
Another great review Scott!!!:-)

Never had one yet!!! Now I want to!!!
[Reply]
Dukeuni 03:02 PM 04-10-2009
This is one of the reasons I love the Asylum and great reviews like this. I saw this in the magazine this month, and was slightly tempted by it. I really did not want to take a chance though since I have never heard of the cigar. This is review, I think I will pick-up a 5-pack for sure with my next order. Thanks again Shilala for the great review and information!
[Reply]
hotreds 04:17 PM 04-10-2009
I have several resting in my humi- I now have a reason to fire one up sooner rather than later! Good review!
[Reply]
tenbaseg 04:53 PM 04-10-2009
I picked up a 5'er in the box split here. I smoked one within a week or two and they were pretty fresh. I put them down for a nap and hope to get back to them soon. From reading the review, I have to agree with a lot of the flavors that Scott picked up. They are going to be pretty good.
[Reply]
themoneycollector 02:31 PM 04-11-2009
Nice review, thanks!
[Reply]
NickyTeen 03:41 PM 04-11-2009
Fired one of these up the other night and I agree with Scott. They are very tasty indeed. I also like the natural Old Henrys. Will probably pick up the " Black and Tan" sampler ( 10 each in the robusto size for $65) :-) Thanks for the review Scott.
[Reply]
Up