Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>601 red robusto
Legend 12:22 AM 03-18-2009
Bought me a box of these and I'm about a quarter of the way in.

First thing you notice is the typical 601 flawless construction. And of the 601 line while not the best the red does have the best loping wrapper. Smooth dark silky oily. The draw is magnificent and the flavor complex and robust. A full flavored nicaraguan beauty that lacks the smoothness of the. 601 black or blue. The pepper of the black. But still has the bite. Its a bit harsh through the nose and while very nice not unique. It is very good solid smoke. Enjoyable and more than anything just well constructed and high quality.
Legend rating of 3.7 and a soon to be staple in my humi. For the price it is a great smoke.
[Reply]
duckmanco 08:55 AM 03-18-2009
I love this line, but I give the nod to the blue and green. You are right on the perfect construction, they always seem to be on.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:59 AM 03-18-2009
I give this a 0.5 on the Legend scale. :-)

The red is my least favorite of ALL of the 601/United Tobacco offerings.
[Reply]
Legend 09:09 AM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I give this a 0.5 on the Legend scale. :-)

The red is my least favorite of ALL of the 601/United Tobacco offerings.
I haven't tried the green yet but I do like the blue and black better than the red. But the red is still a very good smoke.
[Reply]
borndead1 09:13 AM 03-18-2009
My order of preference:

Blue
Green
Red
Black

The construction is perfect cuz' they're Pepins. I wouldn't call myself a "Pepin Ho" but I can honestly say I've NEVER had a DPG cigar that wasn't absolutely perfect in terms of how well it was built.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 09:55 AM 03-18-2009
I had 2 Red's that were great and 1 that was crappy. $.02
[Reply]
Legend 10:29 AM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:

The construction is perfect cuz' they're Pepins. I wouldn't call myself a "Pepin Ho" but I can honestly say I've NEVER had a DPG cigar that wasn't absolutely perfect in terms of how well it was built.
I'll be visiting pepin's factory in May.........

you may commence with the jealousy.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 10:32 AM 03-18-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
so we've heard...
[Reply]
JJG 09:16 AM 03-19-2009
I used to love these but I stopped buying them due to the "nose sting" I still think they have a great flavor. I tried a black label a few weeks ago and that really hit the spot. tons of flavor without any noticeable harshness.
[Reply]
Scottw 09:43 AM 03-19-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
I'll be visiting pepin's factory in May.........

:-):-):-)
um, I'm jealous. I hope you intend on posting some pictures Sir.:-)
[Reply]
Legend 07:33 PM 03-31-2009
Even though these 601s are not 4s and not big favorites. There is something about them. The 601 just calls me from the humi. I crave them. Not sure why. Don't get me wrong! They are good not great but they call me. I am so looking forward to the trip in may.
[Reply]
Waynegro1 07:37 PM 03-31-2009
I love 601 red. This is one of those stogies that always has a home in the humi.
[Reply]
Ratters 07:41 PM 03-31-2009
They are my favorites of the 601 lines. Love those things.
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:00 PM 03-31-2009
You know Legend,

i stopped by a local B&M about 6 months ago and asked if they carried 601. The owner told me that they used to... but they weren't selling so they liquidated them and moved on.. I couldn't believe it. I honestly think some of the people that go there don't know what a good cigar is sometimes... you know? I love the 601 blue, i have smoked 2 of them. I've always wanted to try a red, if you ever want to make a trade i'd love to get my hands on 1-2 of the reds. let me know. I have lots to trade.
[Reply]
big a 08:39 PM 03-31-2009
I have had 2 of these now and I loved both of them. I highly look forward to trying the blue, green and black labels.

Bobby, let me know when your going to be at easton again I got one you can have :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 12:42 PM 04-11-2009
Smoking one of these right now.

These things ain't no joke. Strong cigar. Nice flavor though. They're growing some mighty good tobacco down there in Nicaragua. :-)
[Reply]
Up