Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Recipes>Smoke grilled shrimp & vegetables
T.G 11:06 AM 05-21-2015
By request from the "What's in your smoker?" thread.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb peeled & deveined, tail-off 51/60 ct shrimp
1 fresh pasilla pepper, cut into short strips
1 medium onion (about the size of a baseball), cut into strips
6 oz (give or take) crimini mushrooms, quartered
A lime or two, cut into wedges

Spray oil (pam)

For the seasonings - modified Steven Raichlen rub recipe
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
2 teaspoon celery seeds
2 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

*: cayenne is more or less to taste. Personally, I use habanero or ghost pepper power rather than cayenne.

Rinse the shrimp and allow to drip dry in colander or dry with paper towels.
Put the shrimp, cut up peppers, onion and mushrooms in a bowl and toss with plenty of seasoning rub. Be generous.
Let this sit in your refrigerator for a few hours.

I cooked this on a pellet grill (Camp Chef), but you could use a charcoal grill set up for indirect and with some wood chips. Pellets used were Cookinpellets "Perfect Mix"

On the pellet grill, my cook times were, after waiting about 15 minutes with the lid open to get the fire established:Pull the tray off, and serve with lime wedges. You could also serve with your choice of tortillas.

[Reply]
pnoon 11:08 AM 05-21-2015
Yum
[Reply]
T.G 11:13 AM 05-21-2015
A note regarding the pellets - the Cookinpellets brand are supposedly 100% flavor wood as they are listed (hickory, maple, cherry and apple), no oak or alder "filler" and no flavored oils. Whatever they are, the flavor completely blew away anything and everything I had gotten out of the Traeger brand pellets I was using prior.

Great price on Amazon too, if you have prime.
[Reply]
Dave128 11:30 AM 05-21-2015
Thanks, Adam. I don't have a smoker, but I think I'll try this on my new Weber.
[Reply]
8zeros 09:55 PM 05-22-2015
"*: cayenne is more or less to taste. Personally, I use habanero or ghost pepper power rather than cayenne."
Got the power!
Thanks for the recipe, fellow pepperhead. I ate something like this for dinner tonight. I have a base seasoning that is pretty much like you describe. I am going to adjust it a little like you describe, lime wedges and pasilla peppers ( and I use red habs for heat ). I have a grill thing for charcoal grilling that works a lot like a smoker for vegetables and stuff.
[Reply]
Up