Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Single Malt Scotch
eldondo 12:16 AM 12-18-2010
Tasted a nice range of Bowmore Single Malts yesterday evening....

You wanna read more? Check out this: http://bit.ly/e6yP2P
[Reply]
Ogre 07:32 AM 12-18-2010
Great review, my exposure to Bowmore has been limited. Will have to hunt some down.
[Reply]
eldondo 08:20 AM 12-18-2010
I like Islays in general... Bowmores can sometimes have an intensive aroma of lavender, which is very unpleasant, but those were all great...
[Reply]
Ogre 09:06 AM 12-18-2010
I still have to say The Glenrothes is still the best I have had. I would love to do a trip to the distilleries and sample them at the source. Just may have to look into doing just this.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 12:00 AM 03-25-2011
Hey guys. I just ran across this product that wont water down your Scotch but will still keep it cold. Looks cool to me

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/ba37/
[Reply]
ODLS1 12:41 AM 03-27-2011
Scotch aficionados help me out. I want a GOOD Scotch, under $50. Best bang for my buck for that price. I don't know much about it but I know different regions produce different characteristics (don't recall specifics). Now, I know this isn't a good Scotch, but the only one I have had is Johnnie Walker Black Label. I did not care for it. Not quite terrible, not quite choking it down, but it was bland and the little flavor it had was not good. I drink it straight/neat at room temp, just like my bourbon. I want as much flavor as possible. Cask strength would be awesome, but I bet those are way over my price range. Sucks most are 80proof. I love smokey flavors so I am thinking I will like some Scotch. Thanks for any tips!
[Reply]
eldondo 12:43 AM 03-27-2011
On Friday evening it´s time for another Whisky Tasting in the Griffins Business Lounge in Kreuzlingen...

We´d a very nice evening with some good Whisky in the range from 7 to 25 years, good Partagas cigars (which went well with the booze) and some really good company which is the most important part for me...

A more detailed report can be found on my blog: http://bit.ly/LaphroaigTasting
[Reply]
BigCat 11:11 AM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
Scotch aficionados help me out. I want a GOOD Scotch, under $50. Best bang for my buck for that price. I don't know much about it but I know different regions produce different characteristics (don't recall specifics). Now, I know this isn't a good Scotch, but the only one I have had is Johnnie Walker Black Label. I did not care for it. Not quite terrible, not quite choking it down, but it was bland and the little flavor it had was not good. I drink it straight/neat at room temp, just like my bourbon. I want as much flavor as possible. Cask strength would be awesome, but I bet those are way over my price range. Sucks most are 80proof. I love smokey flavors so I am thinking I will like some Scotch. Thanks for any tips!
A lot of people consider Johnnie Black to be good scotch. I think its ok. It is a blend, not a single malt. Actually under $50 there are only a few single malts available that I am aware of (assuming Michigan prices). Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 years are the most commonly available. Neither does anything for me, though plenty of others enjoy them. In the blended category, you can pick up Chivas or Dewars 12 year, both of which I find to be pretty good, with a preference for the Dewars. If you can spend $50, the single malt possibilities are much higher. Glenmorrangie makes a lot of good scotches priced right at $50. I prefer their quinta ruban. Macallan 12 year is good too. For smokier/peatier scotches, Laphroiag 10 yr and Highland Park 12 yr are right in the price range as well. Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others can chime in as well.
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:20 PM 03-27-2011
I have been really enjoying highland park 12 yr
[Reply]
spizz 01:44 AM 04-07-2011
Highland is good.
[Reply]
Patrick B 02:26 AM 04-07-2011
Laphroaig. Islay region, smokey and peaty.
[Reply]
billybarue 07:43 PM 04-12-2011
Chivas is my everyday go to. I am a fan of blends just as much as single malts. 16 year lagavulin is my hands down favorite. Black bottle (blend of all the islays) is my favorite blend.

given that, and saying I am not a fan at all of Dewars unless you use it in mixed drinks so as not to sacrifice good scotch, I was talked into a Dewars single malt called ABERFELDY. Never heard of it before, but after an in-store dram sample, I was sold. Reasonably priced full flavored Scotch that you might try in your line up. Tastes like a blend to me, and not too reminiscent of highland. Frankly, tastes a lot like Chivas 18.
[Reply]
Aero95 08:48 PM 04-12-2011
I would also look at Balvenie Single Malt Double Wood 12yr. Its less then 50 at Party Source.
[Reply]
stoogie007 09:56 PM 04-17-2011
if you can get your hands on a bottle, or a glass at a bar, highly recommend this - higher alcohol content, combo is Islay sea brine, smoke, plus unique flavors such as pine - great w/a strong stoogie! put in a little distilled water, really opens it up - towering nose and flavor - firestorm of a whisky!
[Reply]
stoogie007 09:59 PM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by BigCat:
A lot of people consider Johnnie Black to be good scotch. I think its ok. It is a blend, not a single malt. Actually under $50 there are only a few single malts available that I am aware of (assuming Michigan prices). Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 years are the most commonly available. Neither does anything for me, though plenty of others enjoy them. In the blended category, you can pick up Chivas or Dewars 12 year, both of which I find to be pretty good, with a preference for the Dewars. If you can spend $50, the single malt possibilities are much higher. Glenmorrangie makes a lot of good scotches priced right at $50. I prefer their quinta ruban. Macallan 12 year is good too. For smokier/peatier scotches, Laphroiag 10 yr and Highland Park 12 yr are right in the price range as well. Those are my thoughts. I'm sure others can chime in as well.
definitely agree re the Laphroaig 10 yr... if they ever release it outside duty free, I highly recommend the Johnnie Walker Double Black - it is about $60 for a 1 liter size in duty free
[Reply]
Ogre 08:09 PM 08-11-2011
Just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10. Very different then anything I have tried to date. I was not sure with the first taste, the iodine. But after that is was vary enjoyable (means I like it). I am now learning the differences between the regions.
[Reply]
billybarue 08:08 PM 08-13-2011
Recently scored a couple distillers Editions from Caol Ila and Lagavulin. Rockin - and maybe best part they are not fifths but full litres!
[Reply]
gator_79 02:22 PM 09-06-2011
Macallan 12 year is usually my go to, Balvennie Double Wood would be a close second. Oban 14 is also very good for a change of pace.
I also have a bottle of Glen Moray 16 yr. that I pick up at the distillery while I was in Scottland. It's a little spicier than the 3 listed above but remains smooth at the same time
[Reply]
stevcatter 02:42 AM 08-01-2013
If you want to a good taste single malt scotch then prefer 12 years old Dewars whisky,its really good.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up