Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Beer Wars Movie
homerjay19 10:15 AM 02-10-2010
Has anyone seen this movie:

http://beerwarsmovie.com

I added it to my Netflix instant queue as I thought it may be interesting.
[Reply]
Tripp 10:22 AM 02-10-2010
Just watched it last night! It was great, I don't drink mass-marketed beer, but if I did, that film would make me think twice about it. Anyone who drinks beer made by one of the big 3 needs to watch that film, and stop drinking swill.
[Reply]
homerjay19 10:24 AM 02-10-2010
Great, if I get out of work early today, i will throw it on...I happened to just stumble upon the movie going through netflix. Thanks!
[Reply]
duckmanco 10:32 AM 02-10-2010
I want to see this, as Dogfish Head changed my favorite beer from Guinness to IPA's with the 60 and 90 min.

I'm a DFH slut for sure.
[Reply]
homerjay19 10:37 AM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by duckmanco:
I want to see this, as Dogfish Head changed my favorite beer from Guinness to IPA's with the 60 and 90 min.

I'm a DFH slut for sure.
Have you had the Dogfish 120 IPA, its a very strong beer but very good...
[Reply]
Partagaspete 01:24 PM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by homerjay19:
Have you had the Dogfish 120 IPA, its a very strong beer but very good...
I actually prefer the 60 or 90 minute. personal taste preference but I would recommend it if you don't mind blowing 10 bucks on a beer.
[Reply]
kydsid 03:11 PM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Tripp:
I don't drink mass-marketed beer, but if I did, that film would make me think twice about it. Anyone who drinks beer made by one of the big 3 needs to watch that film, and stop drinking swill.
Even then you are on an uphill battle. Given all the regionality of beer and it's distribution you can still be sending money to the big 3, really big 2 now, and not even know it. I mean we all know Blue Moon is a Macro Micro, but even beers like Hoegartten which is a foreign beer will still put money in the Big 2's coffers because Inbev? controls it's US distribution and importation.
[Reply]
Tripp 03:27 PM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Even then you are on an uphill battle. Given all the regionality of beer and it's distribution you can still be sending money to the big 3, really big 2 now, and not even know it. I mean we all know Blue Moon is a Macro Micro, but even beers like Hoegartten which is a foreign beer will still put money in the Big 2's coffers because Inbev? controls it's US distribution and importation.
95% of the beer I buy is brewed within the city limits! :-)

but I know what you mean... In most areas, the guys who distribute the micro's actually work for one of the biggies.

One of the most interesting parts of the movie is the discovery of "Green Valley Brewery" which makes an organic ale the filmmaker found in a store... Turns out there is no Green Valley Brewery... It's got a giant Budweiser sign on the side.
[Reply]
MikeyC 03:41 PM 02-10-2010
Blue Moon is owned by Moelson-Coors is it not? If it is how could it be considered any kind of small scale brewer. Also, I think Hoegartten is a division of Inbev.

There are lots of beer brands out there that were either swallowed up by the bigger companies or developed in order to give the product line a small company image. Linenkugel (I probably spelled that wrong) is owned by Moelson-Coors, but I believe they operate in a fairly independent fashion. Although, I've yet to find a beer they make that I like.

Back on subject . . . I watched this movie the other night on Netflix. It wasn't a bad movie, but I found myself skipping ahead at times as some of the things the movie was bringing to light was not exactly news to me although it might be to some.
[Reply]
kydsid 04:18 PM 02-10-2010
Originally Posted by Tripp:
95% of the beer I buy is brewed within the city limits! :-)
Lucky bastard. I really miss all the great Micro's we had in Anchorage.

Originally Posted by MikeyC:
Blue Moon is owned by Moelson-Coors is it not? If it is how could it be considered any kind of small scale brewer. Also, I think Hoegartten is a division of Inbev.

There are lots of beer brands out there that were either swallowed up by the bigger companies or developed in order to give the product line a small company image.

Yes Blue Moon is but it is advertised as if it is a Micro Brew. What I was getting at is what Tripp said the macros still make money off the micros so unless you buy direct from the source this idea of a beer war is stupid because the big companies already won, it's why they are big. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:23 AM 02-11-2010
We craft beer lovers need to embrace some level of the "big 3" since their distributors also distribute beers for the smallers breweries. A distributor can't stay in business on craft beer alone.
[Reply]
MikeyC 06:23 PM 02-11-2010
Yes Blue Moon is but it is advertised as if it is a Micro Brew. What I was getting at is what Tripp said the macros still make money off the micros so unless you buy direct from the source this idea of a beer war is stupid because the big companies already won, it's why they are big. :-)
I see what you're saying. The three tiered system which most states embrace is out of date and no longer necessary (that's actually one of the points the movie makes).
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:26 PM 02-11-2010
Interesting. I'll have to add this to my netflix queue. Another good one to watch is Food, Inc, which from the sounds of it, is like Beer Wars, but talking about the food industry.
[Reply]
Wanger 09:12 PM 02-11-2010
Haven't seen it, but I love Beerfest!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:48 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Haven't seen it, but I love Beerfest!
"Gam Gam's a whore?"
[Reply]
avid toker 08:16 PM 02-12-2010
Decent movie but old...great coverage on DFH and Sam the owner.
The 3 tiered system is indeed outdated but with the political lobbying that goes on, it's hard pressed to change.
[Reply]
Up