Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Gettysburg
Walt 06:58 PM 12-01-2008
While flipping through the channels this weekend I came across a program on PCN (Pennsylvania Channel) on Gettysburg. There were three shows, all of them were Park Rangers doing one hour battleground tours with lots of lecturing. I found myself glued to the TV and soaking up every word.

After it was all said and done, I think I found a new interest and would like to learn a little more. I know that private tours are available and was wondering if anyone has ever done one? How was it?

I saw driving tours as well as bus tours but they aren't what I am loking for. I think I'd like to check it out in the Spring/Summer and was wondering if there were any Civil War buffs that could recommend a book or two for me to read before making the trek out to Gettysburg?
[Reply]
silentjon 04:44 AM 12-02-2008
I went to Gettysburg this past summer. We didn't take a bus tour, but we drove around ourselves. We plan to go back next year. Maybe I won't spend so much time at the two B&Ms on Baltimore Street this time. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:53 AM 12-02-2008
Whatever you end up doing,remember there are several of us right down the road from Gettysburg...:-)
[Reply]
CigarmanTim 05:05 AM 12-02-2008
Been there 5 times... never had a guided tour but wish I had. Read up a little before you go. Stars in their courses by Shelby Foote and I think Shaara has written some on the campaign. Make sure to see Devil's den and there is a hotel outside of Gettysburg that has housed the most Generals in the Civil War. The name escapes me arg... old age. I bought a cannon ball (6 lber) at Gettysburg that was dug up at Manassas battlefiel. A truelly manly collectable :-)
[Reply]
Dave Hobbs 05:12 AM 12-02-2008
Have to see Sharpsburg Md. Bloody Lane.
[Reply]
Mark C 05:25 AM 12-02-2008
I camped somewhere in the park and did a 10 mi hike through the battlefields when I was a kid. That was one of my favorite trips. If you've got the time, it's a bit of a different perspective if you walk rather than drive.

Send a PM to gettysburgfreak here on CA, I'll bet he can help you out :-)
[Reply]
Walt 10:03 AM 12-02-2008
Jon,
I've only been to one of the shops in town. I was there for an Oliva event during Re-enactors appreciation day. Had a great time but due to rainy weather I didn't get to do too much looking around.

Dave,
Knowing that there are a few people in the area might just be grounds for a herf after a battlefield tour :-)

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be sure to check out some of the places mentioned.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 10:21 AM 12-02-2008
I worked there for the past two summers, first as an intern and then this past summer as a park ranger. Shoot me a PM ill give you answers to anything you want to know. I would love to set up a tour some time down there. I could give anyone interested a tour of the battlefield and then we go to dinner and then have smokes later at the Gettysburg Cigar Co.

Books to read:

Gettysburg by Stephen Sears
Testing of Courage by Noah Andre Treadeau
Gettysburg The First Day
Gettysburg The Second Day both by Harry Pfanz
Early Photography of Gettysburg by my friend William Frassanito
A Strange and Blighted Land by my good friend Gregory A Coco who is a park ranger at Gettysburg
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 10:29 AM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by CigarmanTim:
Been there 5 times... never had a guided tour but wish I had. Read up a little before you go. Stars in their courses by Shelby Foote and I think Shaara has written some on the campaign. Make sure to see Devil's den and there is a hotel outside of Gettysburg that has housed the most Generals in the Civil War. The name escapes me arg... old age. I bought a cannon ball (6 lber) at Gettysburg that was dug up at Manassas battlefiel. A truelly manly collectable :-)

Stay away from these two books. Foote is alright by not great and Shaara is historical fiction. The hotel is called the Cashtown Inn and is located 7 miles west of Gettysburg. Its a cool place to get lunch or dinner
[Reply]
Diesel Kinevel 09:50 PM 12-02-2008
I used to go once or twice a year and could give the tours. I since have found myself busy with work, school and a girlfriend among other things. I love it there especially in the spring and fall when the leaves are turning. a good book to read would be killer angels. Another great book about a little known battle is Desperate Engagement. It is about the battle that saved Washington DC from the confederate forces. It took place around 10 minutes from my house on the Monocacy River.
[Reply]
Tikihut27 10:10 PM 12-02-2008
You must go. I've done a guided tour- it was a friend of mine that gave it, but he's not available any longer.

You will not believe how it makes you feel. I've only been to two other places in the world that have the same feel- The World Trade Center and Dachau concentration camp. Eerie.
[Reply]
Mark C 05:30 AM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
Books to read:

Gettysburg by Stephen Sears
Testing of Courage by Noah Andre Treadeau
Gettysburg The First Day
Gettysburg The Second Day both by Harry Pfanz
Early Photography of Gettysburg by my friend William Frassanito
A Strange and Blighted Land by my good friend Gregory A Coco who is a park ranger at Gettysburg
That's a lot of books, how 'bout just watch the movie Gettysburg? :-)

I'd love a guided tour, make sure to post up here if you set something up.

Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel:
It is about the battle that saved Washington DC from the confederate forces. It took place around 10 minutes from my house on the Monocacy River.
I've been a bit of a civil war buff since I was a kid, grew up in MD surrounded by battlefields, but I never heard about that battle until this past summer when I picked up a Civil War special edition of US News. The whole magazine was heavily slanted towards the Union, but still learned some things I didn't know.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 04:03 PM 12-03-2008
I am going to try and get down to Gettysburg the middle of January. If I can make this happen would anyone be interested in me giving a tour and then getting together for dinner and a herf?
[Reply]
Mark C 04:24 PM 12-03-2008
Depends on the date, and if my wife lets me abandon her and our newborn son to wander around a battlefield and smoke cigars :-) Best I can do is let you know on short notice.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 05:40 PM 12-03-2008
The thread title grabbed my attention. I've been interested in Gettysburg for many years and have been to the battlefield three times. A few years ago, I learned that I was named after my great-grandfathers brother who was in the 14th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment. From what I've read his regement was involved in Pickett's Charge and claim to have made it to the Stone Wall.

Someday, I would love walk the field from Seminary Ridge to Cemetery Ridge on a hot July 3rd
[Reply]
68TriShield 06:34 PM 12-03-2008
I am going to try and get down to Gettysburg the middle of January. If I can make this happen would anyone be interested in me giving a tour and then getting together for dinner and a herf?
stranger things have happened :-)
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
The thread title grabbed my attention. I've been interested in Gettysburg for many years and have been to the battlefield three times. A few years ago, I learned that I was named after my great-grandfathers brother who was in the 14th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment. From what I've read his regement was involved in Pickett's Charge and claim to have made it to the Stone Wall.

Someday, I would love walk the field from Seminary Ridge to Cemetery Ridge on a hot July 3rd
I walked the storied cornfield, tried to imagine the scene that day...
[Reply]
Walt 07:00 PM 12-03-2008
Depending on the date I would be down for that.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:47 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
stranger things have happened :-)

I walked the storied cornfield, tried to imagine the scene that day...

At antietam? Gettysburg has the bloody wheatfield
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:48 PM 12-03-2008
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:

Its a pretty amazing walk. Used to do it on a daily basis after my tours.
[Reply]
SteveA 08:54 PM 12-03-2008
"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara may be historical fiction but is very much a worthy read. Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote should be able to provide plenty of non-fictional accounts to whet your appetite for the real thing. Gettysburg is definitely on my list of places to visit.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up