Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Chinese Democracy
Comicbookfreak 12:16 PM 11-29-2008
After listening to the new Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy I think Axl has written another masterpiece. Not exactly Appetite for Destruction, as there could never be anoyther one of those, but a very, very good album none the less. With orchestral parts, keyboards by Dizzy Reed, and great guitar Rifts by Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Robin Finck, while not being the original Guns lineup the music has not suffered at all. And Axl writing is still as good as ever. Songs such as There Was A Time, Madagascar, Better, Catcher In The Rye, Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, I.R.S., and all the others show off Axl's range in musical arrangement and writing style. There is not a bad song on this album imho. And for all the critics that say this sucks, alot of people said the same about Use your Illusion I and II and they sold over 10 million copies. Axl has another platinum album here to add to the wall.

As far as not being Guns N' Roses and people thinking he should not call them that, maybe Slash and Duff should have not signed the rights to the band over to Axl. Don't get me wrong I like Slash and Duff and have partied with these guys back when the original GN'R was together, they are great guys and musicians and I would love to see them all get back together. But Axl has every right to call this band what he wants just like say Nine Inch Nails, Danzig or Metallica have the same name but not the original members.

I am looking forward to the next 2 albums as there are supposed to be 3 installments to what is supposed to be a trilogy of albums from the new Guns with the 3rd being released in 2012. But this is a rumor told by Sebastian Bach(Skid Row). Hopefully by then Axl, Slash, and Duff will have buried the hatchet, I think Izzy and Axl are still on good terms as they have played together since and were never really were on bad terms. I doubt very seriously Steven Adler will ever be back in shape to tour with Guns and Matt Sorum can easily be replaced, never liked Sorum anyway. But if not, and the original lineup can't get back together, I still see nothing but good things from Axl.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:11 PM 11-29-2008
Opinions may vary, Brent. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Comicbookfreak 01:52 PM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Opinions may vary, Brent. :-) :-)
Absolutely brother, the world would be boring if they were all the same. And I respect the opinions of people who don't agree. I just think imho that Axl has yurned out another great album and all in all would love to see the old band get back together, but if it doesn't Axl will still be very successful.

C'mon Tom you know you wanna see the new Tour. :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:54 PM 11-29-2008
I would go see Slash and Duff with any singer....but it would be cool if it was Axl. I just don't see it happening any time soon, though.
[Reply]
Tombstone 03:30 PM 11-29-2008
The title of this thread is an oxymoron:-)
[Reply]
forgop 08:54 PM 11-29-2008
Slash wouldn't piss on Axl if he was on fire. Axl is the sole reason that GnR isn't around as we knew it. Chinese Democracy is a joke, much like what Axl has done to the name GnR itself.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:07 PM 12-01-2008
This is awesome album that may take a few listens to really appreciate.
[Reply]
poker 12:10 PM 12-01-2008
I've actually come to like a few of the songs on this album. Mosesbotbol is right that it may take a few listens.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:31 PM 12-01-2008
I just downloaded it and am listening to it as we speak.
[Reply]
vicvitola 12:35 PM 12-01-2008
Songwriting aside, his voice is shot. It sounds horrible IMO.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:39 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by vicvitola:
Songwriting aside, his voice is shot. It sounds horrible IMO.
I'm in song 3 now, and I was just thinking the same. And the songs sound outdated so far, very 90's
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 01:09 PM 12-01-2008
I gave it a listen once through and was not impressed. A few of the songs were catchy but just sounded forced IMO. I'll give it another listen through and see what I think but it didn't immediately catch me like "Appetite" or "Illusion" did.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 04:13 PM 12-01-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I'm in song 3 now, and I was just thinking the same. And the songs sound outdated so far, very 90's
It's different to hear now, as new instead of taken in it's time, kinda offers something.

To be honest, mixed feelings. I need to give it a few more trys and let it sink in.
[Reply]
Goz 02:32 PM 12-02-2008
:-) I agree with it taking a couple of listens to really start to appreciate it. I can see people not liking it because of their feelings about Axl (which I think is completely justified) or not sounding like Appetite or Illusions I and II, but to say his voice is shot just doesn’t make sense. He shows as much if not more vocal dexterity on CD as he did on any of the other albums. And if you think it is just synthesized and enhanced you should see them live, he sounds as good as ever. Personally I try not to imagine if Axl, Duff, and Slash got back together. They could never live up to what they created before and they have all done fairly well separately. Hopefully VR will find a new singer soon and we can have some more new music from Slash and Duff as well.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:36 PM 12-02-2008
I like it.
[Reply]
tobii3 02:57 PM 12-02-2008
apparently, not everyone is impressed......

Chines Democracy Review

some beautiful notes here.....

Originally Posted by :
It's an epic combination of mid-period Stevie Wonder, early Elton John, and side two of In Through the Out Door. This is the kind of gutter-glam boogie ballad that makes "November Rain" seem like a bucket of burro vomit warming in the afternoon sun.

:-):-):-)

I mean, come on.....13 friggin years and 14 studios......jeezus.....the teens that were bowing down to Axl back then....are now parents with teenagers!!!

Come on, lets be serious here, there are NO members of LA Guns or Hollywood Rose in the lineup.....so they should just call the 37 guys who helped make the album ""Axl's Amalgam""
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 03:09 PM 12-02-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
apparently, not everyone is impressed......

Chines Democracy Review

some beautiful notes here.....

:-):-):-)

I mean, come on.....13 friggin years and 14 studios......jeezus.....the teens that were bowing down to Axl back then....are now parents with teenagers!!!

Come on, lets be serious here, there are NO members of LA Guns or Hollywood Rose in the lineup.....so they should just call the 37 guys who helped make the album ""Axl's Amalgam""
adding cd to arsenal heading to NC
[Reply]
Up