Yes, I store my cigars in a cool climate but do it to be safe. 21 23.86%
No, I confidently store them in a cool area. 41 46.59%
No, it's warm and I don't care. 13 14.77%
No, freezing has adverse effects. 2 2.27%
Beatles are nothing more than a band. 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Do you freeze your cigars?
Sonic04GT 09:38 AM 10-03-2012
Just curious what the general consensus is. Temperatures can get into the upper 70s-80 here in S. Fla so I freeze everything if it is going to enter the humidor. It seems like such an inconvenience, especially if it's only one cigar, but it's worth it I guess.

Just a general poll, nothing fancy, unless you feel inclined to elaborate.
[Reply]
LostAbbott 09:40 AM 10-03-2012
I live in the PNW so my basement never sees above 70 and is typically locked it at 60 all year round. So I do not freeze anything. I try to keep an eye out for mold as a good deep freeze can kill a lot of spores, but bugs are never a problem.
[Reply]
Justinphilly 09:42 AM 10-03-2012
I never had a reason to freeze, but I guess that's a good thing.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:42 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
I live in the PNW so my basement never sees above 70 and is typically locked it at 60 all year round. So I do not freeze anything. I try to keep an eye out for mold as a good deep freeze can kill a lot of spores, but bugs are never a problem.
Lucky. I have one room in the house (guest room downstairs) that maintains cooler than 75 degrees. It's normally around 80 upstairs, which doesn't bother me as far as comfortability, but it sucks not being able to store my humidors on display on my desk upstairs.
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:43 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by Justinphilly:
I never had a reason to freeze, but I guess that's a good thing.
But when you do, then you will. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Justinphilly 09:47 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
But when you do, then you will. :-) :-)
I can't argue with that statement. But, I'm not sure I don't know when freezing would be needed with my cigars. I guess if they took awhile in transit, or if I saw or noticed a beetle issue??
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:50 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by Justinphilly:
I can't argue with that statement. But, I'm not sure I don't know when freezing would be needed with my cigars. I guess if they took awhile in transit, or if I saw or noticed a beetle issue??
This is usually the reason. I freeze, even though my sticks are all stored in the basement around 60 degrees. I've seen the damage those little bastages can do and take a pro-active stance.
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:24 AM 10-03-2012
Deep freeze -10F for minimum 48 hours regardless of number or where they come from. I don't use cool storage and the room my cooler/humidors are in is on the SW side of the house, so it can get to 75F in the summer. Had a few creatures in the past, won't again.
[Reply]
Brlesq 11:10 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Deep freeze -10F for minimum 48 hours regardless of number or where they come from. I don't use cool storage...
I don't have cool storage either, and this is my practice as well (no matter where or whom they came from). Those little buggers could be there from as far back as the the factory. I've got too much invested in my collection to risk it. Have had friends with beetles, and its an expensive disaster waiting to happen. Fortunately I've never had an outbreak (knock on wood) so the slight inconvenience is worth it.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:49 AM 10-03-2012
I use a lighter.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:23 PM 10-03-2012
I did for a while, but haven't frozen anything for years. Keep my house at 71-72* tops, and have never had an issue.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:27 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I did for a while, but haven't frozen anything for years. Keep my house at 71-72* tops, and have never had an issue.
:-)
[Reply]
Apoco 12:43 PM 10-03-2012
I freeze everything that enters my house - regardless of where they come from.

I recently moved into a condo that is single story. I like keeping my energy bill low - so this summer has been a bit warmer in my condo. No worries about beetles for me :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
srduggins 01:21 PM 10-03-2012
I found a beetle hole in one stick that was in the wine frig. When I noticed two more in another stick about 6 months later, everything got frozen. Unless I'm planning on smoking it within a month or two, everything that comes in gets frozen. I have a separate humi for those short-timers. No beetle holes since, except for one tubo that may have been impacted prior to freezing.
[Reply]
joeobx 01:55 PM 10-03-2012
I freeze everthing. Better safe than sorry.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:19 PM 10-03-2012
I have been freezing every cigar I receive upon arrival at my home for the last 25+ years. I had beetles once, never had them since then. I keep them in a cool place, but they may have hatched before I get them. If they travel in for two or more days and the temp is above 75, there is always a possibility that they could hatch enroute and then appear after that.

I take no chances.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:24 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Same except I only froze maybe three shipments a few years ago.
[Reply]
NeonNut 07:28 PM 10-03-2012
my bed room gets hot in the summer, but i try too keep mu humi at 75 deg. give or take 5 deg, and at 75% humidity
[Reply]
pnoon 07:54 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by NeonNut:
my bed room gets hot in the summer, but i try too keep mu humi at 75 deg. give or take 5 deg, and at 75% humidity
75% RH is way too wet.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:58 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
75% RH is way too wet.
Troublemaker!!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up